Young Commissioner

I'm a college student and I just recently turned 21. I am very interested in becoming a unit commissioner for my unit. Our unit commissioner is retiring from his position and offered me his position. I am very active in scouting and earned almost every award scouting/venturing has to offer for youth members. I've been an ASM for three years now and I still find it hard to earn the respect from some of the other older adult leaders in the troop. Some treat me as a kid and feel that I'm not mature enough to handle the position. I've got spikey hair and listen to the same loud music as the scouts do, but I feel it's easier for the scouts to relate to an adult leader who understands their style and what they are going through currently. I also grew up through this troop and I know what it's like being on the scout's side and how they feel about some Scouting issues. I have the hardest time gaining the respect of new adult leaders in the troop based on my age. How can I gain more respect from these adults by not changing my style to please the "older masses?" I want to be able to set an example to these scouts by not setting a double standard for them, like wearing full uniform to every meeting and outing and helping them feel that scouting is cool, even in uniform. What should I do to gain respect from these stubborn adults that I can make a positive influence on these scouts and that I am an adult, regardless of my hair style or whatever color I make it out to be. I'm not trying to be rebellious (if I was, I wouldn't be in Scouting still), but I want to be unique and make a differnce. I'd be honored to have the position as a unit commissioner, but how can I gain the adult approval and support?

To become a unit commissioner you should contact your Dist Comish. He can get you signed on as comish and get you your training. You will probably not be your Troops comish, as we prefer to have someone outside the Troop for any problems that come up.

As respect that's a tough one. Sometimes it takes a long time.I know first impressions mean a lot to me, but as I get to know someone that can change. Is it just your style or are there other things? Are you hanging out with and acting like one of the boys on campouts or are you with the adults? Are these the same adults that have seen you come up thru the Troop or is it just the new leaders? Can you give me some ages of other leaders and how long they have been with Troop?

DDHII, you have at least one admirer, the retiring commissioner, dont forget that and you can look to him/her for counsel.

As for my advice, here goes:

If you want to be taken serious by the adults, prove to them you are serious. Number one, always have the impeccable uniform (I know you already said you were gonna do this, but its so important I had to repeat it), next be sure to attend all district commissioner meetings. Next, start taking as much training in being a commissioner that you can. When offered, attend Commissioner College and keep going back as much as you can. When the adults see you are committed, you will be respected, even if not accepted by some. (some of my chronological peers can be real pains in the neck about personal appearance)

As for listening to loud music, the final exchange of the skit my son wrote for summercamp was:

Scout 1: did you get that shirt dirty on the

overnight?

Scout 2: no, it got staind in a puddle of mud when I

was running through linkin park, you know

three doors down from here? I tripped over

a slipknot. I wanted to see the gorillaz

eat, but I was late and all I saw were

bare naked ladies. (and I understood it)

Your adults never listened to Steppenwolf, Rare Earth, The Who or Three Dog Night? How old are these guys?(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I know exactly how you feel.

After college (23) I became active again as an adult leader. Luckily I got involved with a small troop that quickly realized that I indeed have a large amount of experience in the areas they were lacking. So it worked out and they valued my contributions.

A few years later when I became involved on the district and Lodge level. Despite the Assistant Scoutmaster and Committee Chairman patches on my arm (not at the same time y'all) I was treated like a 17 year old. The lodge advisors would try to shepard me out of lodge forums for scouters and the DE would ask if I was in the right place at roundtable meetings. Just this February I MCed an Eagle ceremony for a Scout that I have been a leader for since crossover and the visitors were wondering why the SPL was handing out the award. Get this, I'm 31.

Just do the job assigned to you to the best of your ability.

The bottom line is that quality shines through. However it does take time for some folks to see it so don't expect acceptance overnight or even a few months from now. This takes T I M E.

Offer suggestions but don't tell the other adult leaders that they are doing it wrong. Most folks don't take kindly to people half their age critiquing their work so take a softer approach.

Offer to help organize an event for the troop. Make it something that the troop doesn't normally do that will utilize your strengths.

You obviously have lots of experience from your days as a scout. You are exactly right that this experience gives you a strong advantage in dealing with the boys. You know what kids like to do and not like to do. You are acutely aware of the issues the boys face everyday because you lived it not long ago and find it easier to relate. The scouts will find themselves more comfortable around you. These are facts not opinions.

I do have a warning for you. Don't allow yourself to become the "buddy adult". The boys must understand that you are an adult and that your age doesn't mean that you will "let things slide." I strongly encourage you to NOT let Scouts call you by your first name unless it is preceeded by Mr. When I got involved again the Scoutmaster introduced me as Mike as if I was a Scout. Partly because of that the boys tried to treat me as a scout.

Personally I would not have felt comfortable being a unit commissioner unless I had been a scoutmaster for a few years but if you feel confident (It sure sounds that way) go for it and best of luck.

I suppose when I am 50 I will be very glad that I look young for my age. Don't bother growing a beard, it won't help, I tried.

DDHII,

It good to be able able to relate to scouts, but keep in mind who you work with as a commissioner..adult volunteers. If you are looking to work directly with the boys then become a unit volunteer. Being a unit commissioner is about supporting adult volunteers to help them have more successful units. you need to be able to relate to the adults if you are going to be an effective commissiooner.

And as stated before, this is not a position your retiring UC can pass on to you. You must be approved by the District Commissioner or an Assistant District Commissioner.

Bob White

DDHII, based on what you have said, I wonder whether unit commissioner is the position you really want right now. As BobWhite says, the UC works with adults, not the boys. If you work well with the boys and you have something to teach them, and you are having difficulty getting respect from the older adults, it seems to me that the best position for you right now may be the one you already have: ASM. The Scoutmaster also works with the boys, of course, but also has to deal extensively with other adults.

Consider yourself fortunate: As someone who has made the wise decision to continue as a Scout leader despite starting college (a decision I did not make), you have the opportunity of serving Scouting for many, many years to come, and in a variety of positions. Being ASM for a few more years, doing a good job, and earning the recognitions that come with that, will only earn you greater respect from the other adult leaders, regardless of what hairstyles you may go through along the way.

I agree with Bob and NJ. You sound like you enjoy working with the boys. If so, stay at the grass roots level.

I became a SM at 23 years old, and have been there ever since. I have been asked several times to work on a district or council level but I would much rather work with the boys than the adults on the district or council level. It's where Scouting really happens and the rewards are much greater. And besides, It keeps you young!!!

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I talked to my troop's UC about my concerns with adult support and respect and I decided to turn down the offer for UC for now. I'll continue working as an ASM and Crew Associate Advisor and start taking/staffing more adult training classes at the District/Council level. Since I'm a second year medical student, I offered to help teach the first aid portion with our High Adventure Team (HAT), so hopefully that will allow me to gain more experience working with adults. Again, thanks everyone.

Dale

Troop & Crew 703

Eagle Scout '99

Young American Award '99

Venturing Silver '02

Ranger '02

Silver Hornaday Award '02