The issue that never dies - now San Diego

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applaud the San Deigo City Council on it's decision. BSA, like all other private organizations, has requirements for membership. Those not meeting those requirements are not allowed to be members.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Concerning the word homophobic, the first word cited in the definition cited by sctmom is "irrational."

I think my attitudes are quite rational.

I refuse to accept the debate on these grounds. Homosexuality is not a benign life style. There are many homosexuals who live perfectly happy peaceful lives, but the overall incidence of crime, disease, and child abuse perpetrated by homosexuals suggests that this is not just another benign lifestyle choice. Having said all that, homosexuals, like all other citizens, have the right to live in peace protected by the law in the same manner as any other citizen.

Incidentally, as Rooster knows, I view homosexual orientation as a matter of choice, not inborn tendency. Everthing I have read so far refutes the rather poor science upon which the claim that homosexuals are born, not made, rests.

Bottom line, I reject the word "irrational" as a predicate for the definition "homophobic" as applied to boy scouts.

I like Rooster's definition. Just like the boy who cried wolf, their overuse of the word has made the word meaningless. Please note that his definition included the phrase those who do not approve of homosexual behavior and/or support homosexual causes and did not mention disliking the homosexual person themself.

I was referring to clinical definition: homophobia -- the fear, anxiety, anger, discomfort and aversion that some ostensibly heterosexual people hold for gay individuals and is the result of repressed homosexual urges that the person is either unaware of or denies. The arbitrary lay definitions found in our dictionaries dont encompass the entire definition, because first part quickly looses its credibility when presented with the second part. Therefor, how can a policy be homophobic if it doesnt have the capacity to be in denial of its repressed urges unless you wish to extend its definition to the members of the BSA as a whole? I find the behavior, not the person, to be filth and degradation and I certainly dont have any repressed urges or latent tendencies, perhaps the others should speak for themselves. I would, however, concur that homophobia is an illegitimate word, made-up by those who practice perversion to use an easy moniker to demonize anyone who stands in their way for justification.

...Then again words are just words...

I have to re-state my views from previous postings.

I do not know the studies you have read, I do not know the statistics you have, but I do know many gay men and women and have a hard time finding filth and degradation in them. I beleive homosexuality is a real and not learned or acquired or a mistake of nature.

I also support BSA'a position because as a private organization we get to choose our own standards.

I am glad San Diego turned out the way it did, the grounds around there are beautiful.

I'm not Catholic, but attended a funeral mass recently in which members of the general public were in attendance. The priest invited the congregation to step forward and accept Communion, but clearly stated that only Catholics in good standing were permitted to do so. I felt terribly left out and humiliated that I was intentionally discriminated against. I want to sue the Church and force them to offer Communion to non-Catholics. Do you think the ACLU will take the case?

OGE,

It is always good to hear from you. I suspect that most of us have gay and lesbian friends, relatives, or co workers who are out of the closet. I personally have not used the terms "filth" and "degradation" in this context. After I have finished the reading I am doing, I will put up a post on that. That will be some time yet because I have a number of priorities, including preparation for Sunday's hike. Peace.

FScouter,

I have to admit, that was a great comparison. However, as a Catholic, I am hoping you exaggerated your feelings on this. If not, and would like to know why the priest made those statements, I would be glad to explain. However, since this is not a religious forum, it will have to be in private email or I can direct you to a Catholic forum with a thread that tackled this question.

In fact, let me do that now.

http://www.catholic-forum.com/dcforum/apologetics/252.html