Who is responsible to keep training records?

My council is one of the 20 councils in the pilot program that is 1 year ahead.

Top unit leaders (Cubmasters, Scoutmaster, Varisity Coaches, Explorer Post Advisors, Crew Advisors and Sea Scout Skippers)need to be fully trained by 12/31/10 or they will not be allowed to register in that position in the unit next year.

The following year (by 12/31/11) all assistant Leaders must be fully trained.

My real need is to figure out if we are asking for training records from the right place.

Our units seem to think its our councils responsibilty to keep these records and I should be getting the records from them.

Cub Scout Packs should have a Pack Trainer that keeps these records but very dfew actually have someone in this position.

From the postings here its the individuals responsibility to make sure their training records are up to date.

I want to be sure we are going to the right place and give the right answer to collect records.

At our monthly council commissioners meeting meeting we were told that the determination of who is considered trained is being done by National and will be coming from ScoutNet.

Our training chair got a trained completed report for the district - 8 pages long

Some people had most of the required training listed - others had no trainining listed.

The untrained report is 49 pages long.

We have a leader who name appears on both reports.

They pulled their individual record and all his training is listed but most of it doesn't appear in either of the other reports.

Which report is being used to determine who is trained?

Are ScoutNet reports not linked or is something else not right?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moose,

To get the training updates do the following

go to scouting.org then click Volunteer button, then Training button, and on the left hand side there will be Training Update Button and underneath Update Archives button.

Be advised the Updates only go back to Nov 2009, and they can be published anytime during the month. May's came out mid-month, and did not include the new YPT guidelines. Also June's has not come out yet.

one person on two reports, I bet they are multiple registered, i.e. an ASM who is on the training committee, or a MC in a MBC position.

BUT wouldn't the member ID number prevent that?

I would strongly recommend talking to either the registrar, the training staff adviser, or both to see what is going on.

CNYScouter - Different things, Council IS responsible to keep track of records (in scoutnet).. the individual is also responsible for keeping their own records.. Just like the boyscouts and their blue cards. What do we tell the boys? Keep the blue cards, because if council does not keep good records, your blue card is your backup.

Well council luckily does better with the youth then with the adults..

Now with the boys scout merit badge what happens if the council did not track it and the boy did not hold onto his blue card?.. Now that gets into individual policy.. At our council they use to have file cabinets on all the advancement forms sent in. If you could tell them a date you sent the form in they could pull it from the file.. My husband (Unit advancement coordinator, kept his own copy of advancement forms, and could get the date from troopmaster).. Some other units get to keep a part of their blue card stub (we couldn't it went to council.) etc..

So similarly with Adult training records, it gets murky as to who has what if the Council did not record it, and the Adult did not hang onto their card. It is based on what your policy was, and if your policy was followed or ignored. Or since you don't know, did you have a policy? Did Council have a policy.. If the info was not entered did it ever get to the Council registrar, for him to enter & file? If it went to the DE, who lost it, or if it never left the Trainers hands, and they did not keep backup copies.. Then you can't expect the Council to have the information on file, if indeed they ever got into the right hands to begin with.

So, who were the Trainers for the past years? Did they pass their records on to the next guy? Did they keep the records or toss them when their days were done? Those who took the training and the District Training Chair (or their registrar).. Are your first level.. After that, it is up to who the Training Chair handed it off to.. Follow the trail, Everytime it left one persons hands to go to anothers, it could have been lost at that level.

I am truely hoping my predecessor comes through with passing on the paperwork from his reign. I would like to have that history.

Eagle92, thanks for the info.

So does EVERYONE by 2012, not include committee / COR's ? OK for now concentrate on the direct-leaders with more emphisis on the top leaders.. Worry about the EVERYONE later..

Oh yeah and CNYScouter.. When I read off the stats for my district.. Or Director of Field Services said, although National has been pushing the 80% goal, my numbers were not uncommon.. Hearing yours, I think I believe him more..

Ours is a bigger district. I had 13 pages trained (WHoo..Hoo..) and 64 pages untrained. Now things might look better if I can get the missing training courses logged into the system.

I did not have anyone on both the trained & untrained list unless he was in multiple units and trained for one of them and untrained for the other.

But I did have freaky things that made me think that the courses matched to the position aren't what is setting these people to trained. I had many with no course, or not all courses trained also. Now in some cases I can maybe see it.. We have a guy in his 80's who has been teaching and training BSA, (not basics, but things like EDGe & woodbadge).. He is marked as trained with no courses.. did he take them when there was no course numbers assigned? Did they just mark him trained? But one is an old SM in our troop, reregistered as committee.. He was trained for SM, not for Committee.. Still marked as trained, but missing Committee challenge. So seems like someone did not turn off the switch of trained when he changed positions.

Now the ones that are Untrained, with no required courses needed.. Their switch may not have been turned on.

From the Training Updates on the BSA National Web site (which is the most official notification available), it appears that between 11/09 and 05/10, BSA has backed off a bit on their schedule for the NATIONAL rollout of mandatory training.

There are 20 councils who are currently in a BSA mandatory training pilot program. They are doing one thing, the rest of us are doing our own things. There are some councils who are not waiting for a National training mandate, and are implementing their own. Some councils are not doing any mandatory training at all yet (my council is one of these).

I would highly recommend that despite what various folks (including paid Scouters like DE's and FD's) have to say about when BSA will roll out mandatory training to the entire 300+ BSA councils, that the best we can do, RIGHT NOW, is to follow what OUR OWN council is requiring of us NOW. If your council is requiring all of it's registered volunteers to be trained for their position by 12/31/11, then THAT is what you should be focusing on. It does not really matter what the rest of the country is doing.

CNYScouter - Training records in my council have been notoriously inaccurate. The last year or so they have been making a concerted effort to clean them up. What we have been doing is that the DE gets a printout of the training status of the volunteers in each unit. This printout is given to the District Training Chair, who shares it with the District Commissioner. The District Commissioner then gives the District's Unit Commissioners the lists for their units. They are required to go over it with their units and make any corrections as needed. We are NOT requiring any kind of "proof". Dates are good if they are known, but a guesstimate will be taken as well. These corrections are then given back to the council Secretary/Registrar who makes the updates in ScoutNet. We are hoping that if done regularly, we will be able to clean up old records, and catch any new problems as they occur. Training records are also included in the unit recharter packets each year. Unit Commissioners should be going over them with their units at that time also.

With much of the training going online, and problems with the ScoutNet interface with councils being corrected, many of the record keeping problems should go away - eventually. Unfortunately, those folks in mandatory training councils like yours are stuck having to do a mass clean up almost immediately. While councils like mine have more breathing room to clean up their act.

Ok so i just emailed my DE asking him for the training record by unit in my District.

He responded that our new registrar is a few months behind in updating training records and I would have to wait 3 or 4 month before I can get copies of the records

Our new registrar started on April 19th!!!

Ok so i just emailed my DE asking him for the training record by unit in my District.

He responded that our new registrar is a few months behind in updating training records and I would have to wait 3 or 4 month before I can get copies of the records

Have you ever seen a moose laugh! This moose is cracking up CNYScouter.. Until your last comment, I thought you were highlighting your frustration..

You should be frustrated. How can you do your "volunteer" job, if you have to wait 3 or 4 months for them.. That puts you at Sept or Nov.. Then by Dec you have to follow up with each unit, organize what is missing and get it back to the "new Registrar" that is already 3 or 4 months behind, before he gets these updates.. Then what, he will put your changes in in a blink of the eye, before the rechartering in December?? Along with all the other districts in your council?? Oh is your Council's goose cooked..

"Hey everyone, Goose for holiday dinner at CNYScouters place!!" He's providing the goose.

As for the forum hanging. It's been doing that to me for about 1 1/2 weeks now. I know Copy my message before posting in case it hangs or times out.. Also it is hard getting from the first page to a second page.

CNY, if I were you, I think I would print out that email and file it somewhere for future reference. Then I would forward it with something like this appended (dollars to donuts, you get a hasty response and the registrar's time is reassigned!):

Dear Mr. SE (or Field Director, or whoever your DE reports to) and Mr. Council Chair,

I am writing to inform you that our district will be unable to verify training records for any of our units, due to the delays described by Mr. DE, in his email dated 6/8/10, below. As you will see from that email, district training records will be unavailable to me before October 2010, leaving insufficient time to verify, correct, or update these records.

Thank you for your attention.

Yours in Scouting,

CNYScouter

Actually the timing of this came at a good time.

I forwarded this to our Council Commissioner.

Tonight is the yearly council diiner and preceding it there is a council Executive Borad meeting.

Our council commissioner is already planning on bringing up that none of our DE's will give the other Key 3 members of there Districts printouts of District level rosters.

We'll see how this turns out tomorrow