Humans 1, Bears 0 (be prepared)

Here's a different boy scout story for you.

Boy shoots grizzly in self defense, wildlife officials say shooting was justified

Thu Nov 14, 8:53 AM ET

KALISPELL, Montana - A father's advice paid off when a 15-year-old Eagle Scout obediently grabbed a firearm before going to look for his dog and ended up shooting a charging grizzly bear behind the family chicken coop.

Daniel Pickar said he thought his dog Bessie was chasing varmints into the dark when he grabbed his .20-gauge shotgun and followed.

As he rounded the corner of the shed, Bessie was running back toward him with a large bear not far behind.

"I just saw a big, furry thing running at me, so I shot twice," said Pickar, who fired from about 20 yards (meters). "After I shot, it kind of grunted and that was the only indication that I might have hit it.

"I've never been more scared in my life."

Wildlife officials said the shooting was perfectly justified.

"As much as we regret the loss of a bear, we're glad we're not grieving the loss of a 15-year-old boy," said County Attorney Tom Esch, who helped investigate the Oct. 27 shooting.

Grizzly bears are on the Endangered Species List, making it illegal to shoot them except in self defense.

In the 12 years they've lived at the foot of the Swan Mountain Range, the Pickars have had continuous conflicts with skunks, foxes, weasels, mountain lions and black bears.

But grizzlies are rare.

Still, Daniel's father instructed his sons to carry a firearm when chasing after their 12-year-old mutt.

"It paid off, or I might not be standing here telling you about this," Daniel said.

eisely, did you get stung a lot by wasps and hornets when you were a kid? :) There seems to be perverse pleasure in stirring folks up with these articles; this will rile the nature-at-any-cost contingent (especially with the 'endangered species' reference) and perhaps the anti-authority crowd (officials say it's justified).

Too bad for the bear, but I'm glad the boy was able to defend and protect himself.

Compass, I am proud to be what a certain conservative radio talk show host would call an "environmentalist wacko," and I also tend to take a skeptical eye toward "official statements." So maybe I am one of who you are talking about. Yet, it is obvious that this boy did exactly what he should have done, and had to do. I cannot imagine anyone (well, ok, not anyone I have seen post in THIS forum) believing otherwise. I think you have the right to kill an animal, endangered or not, even if it's the last one left on earth, if it is a 400-pound (I'm guessing) killing machine that is heading right towards you with teeth and claws bared (no pun intended.) I would go so far as to say you have have the right to protect your family pet, as well as livestock, from being eaten by a bear, and both of those seem to have been factors here as well. I am not sure, however, what the law says about shooting the endangered grizzly bear to protect the dog and chickens. It is clear what it says about protecting yourself.

NJCubScouter,

Put spikes in trees so that loggers are maimed or killed when they cut them down? Assume and believe that anyone in authority is likely wrong and/or evil (odd position to take, considering your position of authority up there)? Charter member of PETA, and still supports them, even after recent revelations about their funding of domestic terrorist groups? Think it's ok for environmentalist groups to go after mom & pop cattle farmers out west because they are less able fiscally to defend their economic interests? Etc.? Then maybe you are a 'wacko.' If not, you might revisit your definition.

Let's see, in order of the issues you raised:

No, no legitimate environmentalist would place something in a tree knowing it would likely kill or injure another human being.

No, mostly; I try to maintain a healthy skepticism about anything ANYBODY says, whether in a position of authority or not. I don't automatically believe OR disbelieve persons in authority, or anybody else. My trust must be earned.

I have never looked into joining PETA, I don't think my food preferences would pass their membership requirments. And I appear to be wearing leather shoes and a leather belt. On the "domestic terrorist groups," I have never heard anything about that. I think PETA generally gets a "bad rap" from conservatives and the media in general, but I have no sympathy for them when they infringe on others' rights to live their lives. If they are indeed involved with "terrorism," which I find a bit difficult to believe, obviously I would not go for that.

I also don't know about the thing with the cattle farmers.

I jokingly call myself an "environmentalist wacko" because from what I have heard on the radio at times, some people apply that sort of label to people who believe what I do believe, which is basically "mainstream" environmentalism. This reason I think that even "moderate" environmentalism gets attacked by some is that it often does place a higher priority on protecting the environment (reasonable protections, not halting all human progress) than on economics or convenience.

I'm not sure what this thread, in its current state, is doing in "Open Discussion" as opposed to "Issues and Politics." Compass, I think that happened because you insisted on making this bear-shooting story into a political thing. I still haven't seen anyone criticize this quick-witted young man.(This message has been edited by NJCubScouter)

Actually we do have some information about the beliefs of the bear. Regrettably the bear forgot to pay his ISP last month and so was not able to participate in the more recent threads on this forum on atheism vs the scout oath, etc. Nevertheless, sources report that, with his dying breath the bear spoke, "Tell Rooster I am with him...." Experts say this was a reference to the Rooster totem sacred to all bears of that neck of the woods.

Actually, my comments were related to my marvelling at eisely's mischievous forum-creating impulses, and my speculation as to possible reactions. I tend to agree with you, NJCubScouter, that 'Open Discussion - Program' has little to do with this story, but politicizing the story was not my intent.

Nor was my subsequent message intended to be a personal criticism. Far from it. 'Environmentalist Wacko,' at least in my experience, usually is reserved for pretty extreme attitudes and beliefs, and I have not seen any evidence in any way that this term applies, though self-inflicted. My citing examples were intended to demonstrate this, not to imply that you would likely fit the bill. Like eisely's last post, humor was the intent, not provocation.