I too think that there is a serious hole in the "training continuum" when it comes to outdoor skills but I don't think that BSA has abandoned the outdoors. The outdoor program is alive and well in troops all over the country. The folks at National may have forgotten about the outdoors but many units are keeping the flame alive. It gets harder to find volunteers with the outdoor skills but many learn the skills from other scouters, from reading and/or from other resources like classes at REI.

"Gern Badge" is a great idea. Try to sell it to National and you are doomed to failure but what about trying it on a council level? If it catches on then maybe another council will try it, then maybe another. If it really catches on then National can dress it up with some acronyms and claim it as their idea. I doubt that the idea for the field uniform trial in the Baltimore Council came from National. It was probably cooked up by someone at the local council talking to someone at Under Armor.

Does anyone know if Back Country Outdoor Leader Skills (BCOLS) is taught in any council other than NCAC? I think it may be unique to this council.

Is there a guerrilla warfare merit badge?

Hal

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BSA is not the only owner of property for Youth Serving Organizations. In my neck of the woods, there are church camps as well as Camp Fire has a Council camp.

The challenge is there's a cost increase. GB on BSA property, with members of BSA being the training audience, cuts costs a bunch.

Logistically, a pilot course should be talked about with the SE or whoever manages his program support, and should strive to get the best folks possible for the faculty.

Further, program development means lots of time investment by Staff.

Finally, training audience needs to clearly understand they are a pilot, and Goofy Things Will Happen. That's why you have pilots, to find out and replace what does not work.

I am all for having advance outdoor training, I for one think it's needed,a nd needed badly. BUT, please, please PLEASE let there be a "challenge option" where folks who do have those skills already can take a skills test to show that we have it, instead of having to take courses for stuff we already know and do.

That was my biggest complaint when I took the outdoor portion of SMF, now IOLS. Been there, done that, taught the skills to others, and have the T-shirt and patches.

"Finally, training audience needs to clearly understand they are a pilot, and Goofy Things Will Happen. That's why you have pilots, to find out and replace what does not work."

Excelent point

All involved need to be prepared for things to not work right,

frankly I don't see anybody who needs the full course being on the pilot run,

there might not be much sepperating the skills of the trainers and the trainees.

Documenting the proablems to finetune the course will be vital.

Calm leval headness will be too.

Eagle92:

I am glad that they don't have a challenge option for IOLS. Those who have been there and done that have a lot to share with those less experienced. You may have thought of it as a waste of time but I would bet that others were glad you were there. Besides, its scouting at its best; camping without the boys. ;-)

Hal

Hal,

I hear ya, but sometimes other commitments do come into play. As much as I love scouting, I couldn't do the schedule I did when I was in college without getting a divorce (What do you mean you got 8 weekends straight of camping !) ;) You got folks who have the skills and knowledge already, but for whatever reason can't make it to the training. understand their benefits toeveryone, saw it myself first hand, but sometimes that is not possible. I tried to get them to staff events, btu it isn't always possible.

I'll give ya an example. Good friend is a Crew Adviser and ASM. He's fully trained as an Adviser, including WB, but isn't fully trained as an ASM becasue he's never gone through IOLS because of scheduling. In addition his troop and crew activities, he's highly involved in the OA,a nd his daughter's GS troop. Oh Forgot to mention that he is a registered and trained MBC for the following: Camping, Backpacking, Pioneering, Wilderness Survival, and Cooking MBs.

Well if your that good you need to be a trainer, I can see a person

being a trainer in one skill and need help in many others,

since we arn't seeking anybodys blessing we can be a bit creative,

the goal is Scouters able to lead in the field, not nifty neckwear,

pocket doo-dads or another knotpatch.

My hope is when the course is done all will be trained to a

basic level overall and expert in at least one area.

I can even imagine a course over a three day weekend being a

big help though more days would be much better.

How GB determins who is good enough to be a trainer is beyond me.

How bout calling the training Knapsack?

(This message has been edited by prairie)

There will be NO challenge option to GernBadge.

Because none is necessary.

The only goal for GB is to train leaders how to take their boys into the wilds using the patrol method. If you think you already know how to do it, you don't need to go.

GB will not be a stepping stone to more advanced training or prestige. There will be no annual banquets or handshakes. You will get no woggle, no pin, no dangle, no patch, no necker, no beads, no bolos. You will only get experience.

Prairie,

I hear ya about being a trainer if you got the skills already. But the folks I know and have tried get to be trainers, are so active already, that they have unit activities already scheduled, or are having family commitments.

I'll give you another example of a course I would love to have a challenge option: the two new Aquatics Supervisers courses. I've been both a BSA Lifeguard and YMCA Lifeguard instructor. And I've been teaching Swimming, Lifesaving, Rowing, and Canowing MBs for a numebr of years. In addtion to all that training, i've done 2 fifty-milers in canoes, a fifty miler in a sailboat, and taught kayaking in the UK. Think I know a little about both aquatics and paddlesports. 16 hours may not seem like a lot of time to get those two certifications, but I'm involved on the pack and district level. And then add in OA activities when I get the opportunity, it's one hectic year i got ahead of me.

Don't know when it will go into effect, but according to these new requirements, I'm no longer qualified to take a troop or crew out, but I can teach them the MBs and skilsl to takwe them out.

These comments about taking IOLS anyway even though you already know all the material so you can help the others in the class are all well and fine but time is a precious and limited commodity. The main point is that IOLS should have an opt-out with a competency check because it is wholly redundant and useless for a large number of Scouters whose time might be better used by helping their units (or family or ...) rather than other adults.

The argument about two-deep leadership just illustrates the conflict behind the heart and soul of the PURPOSE of training the boys (giving them the ability to independently plan and conduct patrol activities) versus requirements that have been added due to the litigious evolution of our society. IMSNHO, the two deep leadership policy is needed more for legal beagles and to protect the Scouts from predatory adults than it is for training or even conducting safe activities.

Some of my favorite campouts as a Scout were ones where the adults dropped us off on Friday and picked us up again on Sunday.