Is there an idealized roadmap of Training?

...for new Leaders? And if so, why is it so hard to find?

The boys requirements are very easy to find, for Rank advancement, anyway. See the Handbook.

So why is it almost a quest of its own to find the training for the Adults who need to know how to deliver, or help deliver, the program. I'm getting a lot done, but I don't have a sense of having a map to get me to a "Trained" destination. In my case for an Assistant Scout Master, but is there a common point where what is required for any position and then what would then be ideally followed up with in optional training? Or am I going to see this when I "finally" get to NLE and NLST?

The BSA calls this roadmap the "Traiing Continuum":

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-390/

Note the link to the Boy Scout Leader Assessment tool:

www.scouting.org/boyscouts/training/start.jsp

This is an online "test" you can take to see how you're doing.

Here's a visual representation of the continuum:

http://www.northernstarbsa.org/Graphics/GIF/TrainingContinum.gif

You will also find the Units of Supplemental Training useful:

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/supplemental/index.html

Finally - take a look here:

This is my council's attempt to answer this question for leaders:

http://blank.nsbsa.org/Training/

Thanks, that was really a help! Especially the BSLAT. :) Everything I have trained in I passed but the other scores fell short of 80%.

BSFT and YPT are complete for anyone who may be concerned.

I won't run through what training I have already done (because it's long and not necessarily distinguished) but I haven't been able to attend any of the face to face training like NLE, NLST, IOS, Scoutmaster Specific or Wood Badge.

NLE and NLST scheduled and registered for in July.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

Gunny,

To be honest, much of what you learned through the various Corps schools (from the time you were a Corporal) will have you in good stead. You've had leadership psych at multiple levels. I assume you were a platoon sergeant along the way; you've learned overwatch of 1st line leaders and the importance of having their records straight.

Since you are an ASM, here's the roadmap I would take (and re-take; it's worth it to cover old ground now and again):

Youth Protection for Adults (Cub and Boy Scouting)

(There is different YP for Venturing)

Fast Start for Boy Scouts

BSA New Leader Essentials

BSA Scoutmaster Fundamentals

BSA Outdoor Leadership for Scoutmasters

Sitting in with your Troop Committee on Troop Committee Challenge is a good thing, too. Helps you understand how the support side works.

Beyond that, it depends on your interests: Are you aquatics oriented? Then, take BSA Lifeguard. It combines the hands-on skills of aquatics lifesaving with the working knowledge of Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat.

Did you like Mountaineering? Then go for Climb On Safely, and the various tower and COPE certifications.

Finally, there are two elements of training we don't talk about much: Having FUN and having a passion to raise up young men (Venturing specific: men and women).

Which Council are you in, since I'm over here in Metro KC?

John

John-in-KC,

Ozarks Trails.

Really, by virtue of my overachieving bent, I'd just as soon be the subject matter expert on everything that is activity oriented. To include getting my Wilderness First Aid in addition to the rest of my current ARC certs.

Because in part Murphy hangs around the unprepared, those who have a plan and all the pieces to work the plan rarely see the bugger.

I am looking into the merit badge programs too - to be a MB Counselor but there's already a lot on my plate just to be basically useful.

I think having fun is great!, it's even better when you can control/ manage the risk of the activity.

• 1 month later...

Scouter Gunny,...No there is no road map ,per say. You have to find some college kids,or ex military persons, or an enthusiastic alumni of Scouting. Then you inform them not to take the theory of Scouting portion of the training ,but, the "show and do " Let them get books from the library on Baden Powell's Scouting for boys. Use your own initiative , resources, and imaginative skills. Visit a few successful units, to get ideas how best to run a well organized outfit. You must like boys , motivate them all the time., and be able to get to their level. Guide them along, and don't tell them all the time that is a " boy run troop " Be adventures in Monthly themes, and don't always use the one in 'Scouting magazine ", they are very dull. Sorry I have to run. Read my other concerns. Jambo