In working with our council University of Scouting, I have looked at a lot of other council sites for ideas and came up with one I think can grow legs with your help and ideas. Here it is:

Develop a web site that is a repository for all the supplemental training that councils design. It can have a template course outline that can be used, a place for handouts or powerpoint presentations. This can then be used by anyone having a Pow Wow, Showando, University of Scouting or other supplemental training event.

What do you think? Any ideas on how to develop such a beast? Is it something that could be done right here at Scouter.com?

I think it would be a great idea! I've got some stuff that my council uses! If someone would be willng to put everything together, it would be a great idea! Actually, if someone developed a template then people could fit their material to the template & it would make it a lot easier to do!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I'm glad to see that everyone likes the idea. I can understand the powerpoint memory issue. Perhaps a email address to the author of each course if they have a PowerPoint presentation.

I'd be willing to work with some folks, but need a techie who knows how to do this. Keep the ideas coming.

This is a great idea! Id love to add to it and Id use it often.

What can I add? Well, I have these four as Microsoft Word outlines with teaching notes, participant handouts, and some transparencies:

- Advancement in the Boy led Troop that Ill teach this Saturday in our council Advancement Extravaganza.

- The Troop Merit Badge Program that I taught last year in our council Advancement Extravaganza.

- Troop Boards of Review that I taught last fall in our council Advancement Extravaganza.

- Orienting the New Commissioner that I taught in our Commissioner College

Since I am the Dean of Instruction in our Commissioner College, I have access to the teachers of 41 presentations we host. I couldnt post these documents, but I could serve as contact to the instructors.

How do we do this? When do we start?

Oregon Pioneer

I love the idea too. I get most my information (both good and bad) off of the Internet.

As for the large files, if it's designed right, you could prevent people from posting too large of a file.

So, you started it OT. How do we get this thing going? I'm a web guy, I can help get it going.

Well, I tried to respond to this last night, and it took five minutes and it still didn't work. Computer problems. SOOOO, not that I jumped off this cliff without a parachute (computer knowledge), I have sent out some requests to scouters I know around the country to assist with how to set this up. If you have some skills, as some noted here, then let us know. I summize that I'll organize a small group to set up, monitor and facilitate this (Quality Control). If you have other ideas or resources let us all know.

FB -

If they're laid out in a standard page format, OCR (Optical Character Recognition) technology works pretty well. If they've got lots of columns and pictures, then there's not a good solution. You just have to scan them in as images.

• 6 months later...

I haven't replied to this since February, but thought you deserved an update.

Like most scouters, September and October are busy months. After my University of Scouting is done on October 30th, I will start the process of gathering and posting training syllabi and what guidelines there will be. I have communicated with a couple of web sites and will narrow it down shortly.

This is my doctoral project for the University of Scouting.

• 5 months later...

I just started veiwing the Scouter.com website when I found your post regarding the training depository. What a fantastic idea!

I would be interested in your progress and any help I might be able to give. Our Council will be holding a Pow Wow/University of Scouting in November. Any information I can give to my staff and any we, in turn, can offer would be a great resource.

• 1 month later...