Wood Badge beads replace trained patch

I've never heard that. It does not make any sense. The trained patch is for basic training for your position. Wood Badge does not replace basic training for your position, so why would you take the patch off -- unless you take a new position for which you are not yet trained, in which case you DO take the trained patch off -- but leave the Wood Badge insignia on. They are for 2 different things.

I've read that in olden days the trained patch came off once you earned the "Training Award" for your position. In those days, it would make sense to take the patch off once you earned your beads. However, in these days, the trained patch stays even though the patch should be unnecessary because everyone should be trained.

BTW, at one time there was a special mylar Scoutmaster patch to indicate training.

Have to admit to never giving it much thought.

I did wear my Wood Badge on my Cubmaster Uniform before I wore my Trained patch.

I later went on to do that training along with the old Cubscout WB.

My thinking was that no matter what I was a member of Troop 1 Gilwell Park. Even if I wasn't trained in that position.

I also wore my 3 beads when I was District Commissioner, even though I had only staffed a Boy Scout Wood Badge.

So my thinking is "Wear your beads with pride - But take the training for the position that you are serving in"

Eamonn

In the olden days I do not believe there was a trained strip. Training was only evident by Knots or Wood Badge Beads. In the late 70's the SM and ASM patch was available with metallic threading to indicate completion of Scoutmaster Basic Leader Training. I don't recall if Cubmaster patches had similar threading.

With the introduction of the current uniform style the metallic patch was discontinued and the Trained strip was introduced for all adult leader positions as well as for junior leader training recognition.

Have to give points to Bob White, Eamonn and FOG for remembering the metallic threads. Those were cool patches. I also have to admit that I don't remember them applying to the Cubmaster position. I don't think they did.

Now here's the mega-point bonus question -- at what point in his/her career can a District Executive begin to wear the trained patch? Get it right and you'll get cyber-stars. I'll stop this line of questioning when I see the correct answer. Hints will be provided on request, but will cost points ;)

DS

And here is a link to a picture of the fancy shiny Scoutmaster patch from the 70s

http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/insignia/train-sm.jpg

and the regular SM patch from the same era

http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/insignia/reg-sm.jpg

My father has one of the shiny ones on a uniform shirt that still hangs in his closet. I think it is the patch he is the proudest of with the possible exception of his Philmont patches, out of all the patches he has accumulated in 65 years of Scouting. He told me that while he was still a SM, years after the shiny patch had been discontinued, somebody offered him $100 for the patch. He didn't sell.