What makes a Cub Master weak? (or ACM)

Spun this off an interesting thread re SM.

I know that a lot of what has been mentioned in the previous thread applies, but since I'm envolved in Cub Scouting just wondering what comments might come out specific to Cubbing.

You will get different answers to this one depending on people's experiences. Here's mine.

A weak Cubmaster -

Is not engaged with his Pack.

Does not have a program plan for the Pack.

Frequently cancels Pack meetings or does not schedule them at all.

Is often a "no-show" for meetings and events.

Does not provide any encouragement and support for his Den Leaders.

Does not work with the CC or Pack Committee.

Is an unteachable person and does not believe in training.

Sets a poor example in his personal life for the boys. A person of poor reputation.

Does not know when to step-down when he is guilty of the above.

The Cubmaster job asks a lot of a man. It asks that he being all sorts of different people:

* Leader of the adults - encourage them and inspire them to deliver a great program

* Program manager - review plans and the scouting program across the unit ensuring it is appropriate and fun

* Leader of pack meetings - Master of Ceremonies, singer of songs, victim of skits and run-ons, designer of awards presentations, crosser-over of webelos scouts

* Liaison to Boy Scout troops

* Encourager of boys to connect with their faith through the youth religious emblem program

* Outdoorsman, camper, hiker, fisher, etc.

* Recruiter and salesman during round up

* Judge on badge requirements and completions - bestower of justice and hopefully mercy

* Supervisor and supporter of den chiefs

* Achieve the Journey Toward Excellence Gold Standard and get everyone to do their jobs so that this award is received.

* Lead the way in uniforming. Wear it properly, and wear it completely. No jeans, please. Official pants, socks, belt, brown shoes, and khaki shirt for the cubmaster. Unofficial doo-dads bestowed by the youth are forgivable despite being a technical no-no.

* You must have an AWESOME HAT. Campaign hat is preferable. Fedora works. Cowboy hats are nice. But a big, nice hat you like. If it is official - GREAT! If not, forgivable as long as the boys like it and you consistently wear it so they recognize you.

On top of all of that, he has to be passionate, fun to be around, able to give direction without ticking people off, and able to... should I even bother to continue?

Finding that guy - well, that's not very likely to happen. If you're a cubmaster, figure out which of those you are good at, and then find the men who can do the others and make them assistant cubmasters. Then delegate and share the stage.

An ACM in charge of the chaplain role who leads prayers and runs youth religious emblem connections and education in the unit is a good one.

More immediately needed is an ACM who is a liaison to the Boy Scout troops to recruit den chiefs or boy scout participation in camping or pack meetings. This guy can supervise them, see that they are trained, and keep in touch with local scoutmasters.

An ACM who is a songmaster is a good idea, too. This guy can lead the songs. He's someone who can sing decently and is not easily shamed by being on stage. The class clown of the leaders is great for this one.

Hopefully one of those ACM's will have a truck.

Also, a good cubmaster knows how to use his committee. The committee chair should be organizing the fundraising, appointing chairs for camping trips or outings, ensuring the bank account has money, and appointing people to handle all of this while publishing a newsletter, etc. The committee chair's role is to support the Cubmaster, who is the top leader in the unit, but ideally, the CC and the CM are like brothers and inseparably support one another.

A good cubmaster understands that he needs to listen to the committee chair, who is the primary advisor of the Cubmaster, and that there is going to be give and take.

Lastly, the good cubmaster ensures that his den leaders are able to speak out and have a say in all activities. The upside down org chart says that the we all support the people who are in direct youth contact, and no one has as much responsibility as a den leader. Den leaders should be in all monthly pack planning meetings, and though they are not on the committee, I highly, highly recommend you give them a vote on your activities.

Frankly, any modern leader who doesn't ask for everyone's input and hold a vote these days is a fool.

Keep the pack meetings brief and on a tight schedule. Parents are dying with little kids after an hour. At an hour and fifteen minutes, you've now pushed to the limit. Hold yourself accountable to end pack meetings on time.

(This message has been edited by BSA24)

drmbear said it best:

Put yourself in the mindset of the cub scouts. Don't be afriad to laugh at yourself and be laughed at.

The best thing I learned was after years and years of having to learn to "act your age", you now get to act their age!

I dressed up like a pirate, like a cowboy, like an indian, like an overly exaggerated redneck, like a ballerina complete with pink bodysuit and tutu ( lost a bet with scouts) .

When scouts arive at den and pack meetings, I greeted and talked to every scout. Not at the scout, but to the scout. I see to many leaders look over top the scouts heads and talk to mom and ad when the scouts show up.

As far as my leaders were concerned, I never asked anybody to do anything I wouldn't be willing to do myself.

And being CM doesn't mean you just sit back and give orders.

No matter what we were doing, I was right in the middle of it too: Cooking sausages, flipping pancakes or burgers, making a 3 gallon pot of mac & cheese, roasting marshmellows.

I would keep kids in line, but I also kept parents in line too.

Anbd sometimes, I had to get on mom and dads about getting on jr too much while camping.

In my pack, we do not use the "children should be seen but not heard" rule.

One last thing: when planning menus, plan around the scouts, not mom or dad! If they ( mom, dad, other adults) don't like the menu, they can bring something else!

• 2 weeks later...