Space Derby Track

We are going to be doing a space derby this year for our pack and it's the first time ever so we have to build the track. Does anyone have any good pland and ideas where I can get some?

Thanks,

Cris

Not to poo-poo your plans before they get off the ground, however....

We built a space derby track and have attempted to have races twice with our pack in the last 5 years.

The A-frames are pretty easily built, with a drop down starting gate.

HOWEVER, the kits are very fragile at best, the rubber bands are only good for about 2-3 runs (even when lubricated) before they start to snap, this means most of your time is spend helping kids reload with new rubber bands, re-lube, and rewind to the specified number of turns.

Also, this is the ONLY cub scout event I have EVER ran that had multiple scout injuries!! The plastic props once wound to race, tend to slice cub sized fingers pretty easily. Make sure you have multiple boxes of band-aids on hand for your event.

For the effort and fun level involved, I'd go with the raingutter regatta over space debry any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

If you really want to do a space themed unit event, get an educators pack of Estes model rockets and build / shoot them as a pack. Much more fun, much less work, and IMHO much safer too.

From the been there done that file....

Dean

I agree with Dean RX --- don't do the Space Derby.

I'd suggest doing stomp bottle rockets which are easily made from a sheet of paper and launched from a PVC launcher by stomping on a 2 liter soda pop bottle.

A lot simpler and more fun, in my experience. It is a powerful draw for a recruiting night.

The Plans in the Book are difficult to read..and When you google plans all you get is advice to google or use the Same book..I searched and Searched and I gave up..

I made a simple A Frame system and We just strung Lines and did a distance Event

Ditto comments on Space Derby. Wrap adult fingers with duct tape to help with multiple rubber band windings. Kid fingers too.

Call local museums and colleges. You can get many types of exhibits and presenters about space exploration. NASA can sometimes provide a real live (!) astronaut and space gear , given sufficient advance notice. Won't know until you ask.

But I vote for the stomp rockets....