Hi,

Here is the question, have a business that approached our pack looking to donate the cost of a new PWD derby track for our unit. This company is looking for a tax right off, they said they had XX amount to spend or lose it.

They would cover cost of track, but asked if we could put some type of sign, magentic or ??? that company donated track.

This is what not sure of?? First I know about the solication rules, WE CAN'T!! This is a gift, donation to the pack, and was not, has not been solicated to them. They came to us.

My question is this okay per BSA rules? Can't find anything saying we could not have anything saying, track donated by ????.

Anyone got a answer, thanks

IMHO, the business needs to donate to the CO to get a charitable write off (assuming the CO is non-profit)... Most packs do not have non-profit status by themselves.

The CO owns the unit and all equipment.

So as long as the business is willing to donate the item to the CO earmarked for use by Pack ##, it should be good. No problem hanging the logo off it either.

I don't see a problem with it. The buisness donated for whatever reason. You can put a sticker or lettering on the side of the track to let everybody plus future parents and scouts know.

Where I'd draw the line is if they wanted to buy sponsor rights to future PWD's where they expect you to have a NASCAR style name change:

" Feb 11th - Pack 123 is having their annual

First Bank of Anywhere 500

Pinewood Derby Race

That would be a big no.

But putting their name on the side of the track as a donor is no different than a troop having their name on an adopt a hiway sign or stenciled on the back of a bench they built and installed at alocal community park for a service project.

YOu mean you can't have sponsors for the PWD? That's how our cubs finance their cars!!! I got the monster energy drink going up against the Bud Light car this weekend at the races sponsored by BP patroleum.

BP is a lttile leery though, cuse we won't allow gas powered engines in our PWD cars (yet)

:p

Well, it depends on the sponsors

BP is out because they do not promote LNT which is a big part of scouting.

Bud Light is out because the scouts are under the age of 21.

But I do se a scout accepting his first place trophy with this speach:

" WEll, I'd like to thank the crew of the MINWAX # 28 Scoutertown 400 Pine Wood Derby racecar for their efforts. Our LOWES HOME IMPROVEMENT Top Choice Lumber Pine wood car ran pretty well on the DUPONT plastic wheels and the Pittburgh Steel nails. Of course, if it wasn't for the Tube-O-lube graphite on the wheels, we would have ruined the TESTOR'S paint job.

Can't forget to thank our BSA council scout shop for setting me up with our Tiger Cub racing supplies.

Right now, I am gonna go over to the MityLyte snack food table and have a handfull of OREO cookies and some MAOLA milk. "(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

A brass plaque on the finish line sounds reasonable. Tattooing their logo on each cub is a bit over the edge.

As for the tax issue, to the donner, it really doesn't matter who they give the track to as long as the do it in the hope of improving their business relationship with the community. It is a business expense no different than passing out free bumper stickers or tshirts in the park.

On the other hand, the pack needs to justify having received this "income".(This message has been edited by wingnut)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier:

When we go camping at Camp ( John A. )McNeill Cub Scout World - wich is abuttied up against Camp Bowers Boy Scout Camp - of which both are located at Cape fear Scout Reservation ( in White Oak, NC........

.....my pack usually tries to reserve a spot at the First Union (bank) Field. This is just left of the

Carolina Power & Light( electric company) Pirate Ship which is just around 10 yards past the (John G. ) Goldsworth mines.

I have taken most of my scouter training as well as YPT, BALOO, and POW WOW at the BB&T (bank) training center.

Alot of our cub scouts enjoy the ( United Carolina Bank ) western fort.

Every bulding, every activity center or amusement, trails, ranges, lakes, etc......are names after a donor or former scouter, humanitarian, etc...who gave either a donation of time or money or goods to our camps.

Seems like our council is setting a fine example of recognition to which we should be able to follow...right?

I can think of numerous scout camps which were named for their corporate sponsors. Including the Bechtel Scout Reserve, or whatever the heck they call it. BSA is touchy about how their trademarks are used lest they be construed as endorsing a product or company (e.g. you can't sell products in uniform except those approved by the BSA). I think it's between the CO, the Council, and the donor to hash out, not the unit committee.

OK here's my recommendation, so take it for what it's worth.

1) Contact your COR to inform them of the possible donation. It will have to be donated to them to get the tax writeoff.

2)IF COR approves, A) get it done and B) make sure you know that other groups within the organization will use it AND BE OK WITH IT.(caps for emphasis something similar happened with one unit and they were upset until IH said it was the church's property and not the troops personal property)

3) YES you can have a sign saying donated by XYA

4) AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, tell yoru DE AFTER the fact ;) Seriously if you tell your DE, he may try to get the donation diverted to council. We had a unit that got canoes and equipment dontated to them, to the tune of $5,000 and some change. Council found out, and then tried to get the same amount for the same things donated to them, and it didn't work out.

Good news is that while the troop was in existance, the equipment was used on a regular basis and lent out to other units.

Bad news is that once the unit disbanded, access toteh canoes and equipment was lost. Also the donor was misinformed: they thought they were giving to the scouts as a whole and not one particular unit. part of that was the fact that the troop promiesed to lend out the canoes as requested. So the canoes sat in someone's back yard for a few years.

Good news, the unit is reorganized and access to canoes is back, or so I'm told.