When do you advance your Webelos?

Basement,

"It isn't from some whimpy camp twice a year webelos program."

You are correct in that statement. The boys are not going to learn that skill set by camping 2x a year. They should be camping and getting outside more than that to learn those skills. I don't expect them to master the skills of a tenderfoot or 2nd class when they come to the troop, but I should have a reasonable expectation of the basic knowledge of how to set a tent up, how to clean their dishes, how to put the gear away. I've got troop guides to work with them to polish those skills when they do arrive.

I can control my pack program by encouraging my WDL's to get out more, use the district camping opportunities (WOW,Resident Camp), camp with different troops to help build those skills that they will use. I have no problems with our WEB dens using their den rooms for some classroom work, but I shouldn't see them every week doing nothing but classwork.

Part of the problem I run into is the other packs that feed our troop don't always subscribe to that theory. They come visit the troop, hear about the cool trips we take, see the bright shiny trailer and they're excited about that. The parents come in and see lots of adults in uniform, lots of boys in uniforms, they hear the SM's passion and energy when he talks to the boys, and they get excited.But, their WEB den might have only "whimpy camped" 2x a year. If you come to our troop with AOL in hand, yes, there is a reasonable expectation for a basic skills set. We will be glad to have the older boys help refine those skills and teach some other things as well.

(This message has been edited by OwnTheNight)

Well my scouts are urban types, more mature and tougher than their suburban counterparts, beyond the shadow of a doubt. Many have raised themselves....

The new webelos den June 2011 has already earned, fitness, citizenship, geologist, naturalist and outdoorsman. That leaves just a

this years group will not be able to cross over to June because of birthdays.....but they will camp with the troop from April till summer camp. So our program will be still be less than a year

I completely disagree with webelos being a two year program, completely stupid and a waste of time. They can do it in 9 months.

Actually, it can be done in a shorter period of time. We had two boys join our Pack at the beginning of 5th grade in September and they earned their Webelosbadge and AOLin 6months. If a boy is active and determined, it can be done.

The two year program does allow 5thgraders more time to finish their AOL before they join Boy Scouts. Some are completely new to the program and need extra time. It's not uncommon in my Pack to receive new recruits in the 4th grade and place them into a Webelos Den. When I was a Webelos Den Leader, many of the boys wanted to earn all 20 activity pins and some of them did. The extra year does help.

If we do away with the 2nd year, then we need to consider lowering the minimum age of Boy Scouts to 10. That's another discussion that has interesting content.

IMHO if you are using that second year to camp with/visit a troop (ideally different ones) every month, your doing right by the boys.

If your AOL boy(s) find a troop that's awesome and welcoming, cross-over. I do suggest you do it about 5 months before the troop's summer camp. That way the older boys will have a good idea of how much trail-to-first-class they'll need to teach.

Not having ever been in a troop , and that my son is only 10.5 years old...I understand the need to NOT rush a scout to Eagle.

So why is it that it seems people want to rush Cubs to AOL and into a troop?

We do not have an exact AOL date set aside or planned. Each year it is a little different. The only thing that remains the same is that we do not use B&G as a "earn by" date for AoL.

But one thing I have to say...ande I do not mean to sound condescenbding or preaching - but - if your Dl and pack are offerening a great , fun and exciting program, then you should have no problems whatsoever of having 2nd year Webelos.

Sure, all our boys can't wait to be cub scouts in varying degrees. Tigers look at Boy Scouts with wonder, Wolves and Bears want to be able to shoot rifles and just be in charge of something ..anything.

Webelos can't wait to get away from mom and dad. Especially when those mom and dads follow the boys areound with snot rags and napkins trying to wipe their mouths and fix their hair.

And let's face ir: Younger boys can't wait to be with the oldert boys wether it has anything to do with scouting or not.

But why the rush?

And I think I might even see a point where adults in Boy Scouts might look down their noses at Cubs Entering Troops.

Maybe it's not that they are cubs, but the fact that they get rushed through to an older more mature group that they do not really fit into yet mentally.

KNow what I mean?

You could give a couple classes to 10 year olds, and then test them and find out that mnany could easily pass the written part of a dribvers ed course. Given time to practice, they could also pass the driving part.

But mentally...are they really ready?

Same as AOL or Webelos rank: meeting all the written paperwork is not the same as being ready mentally.

Now, I am not saying that they should all wait.

I do know that every boy is different in mentallity and cannot be lumped into one group.

But isn't setting fast standards for Aol and crossing them over as soon as possible about the same thing as lumping them all together?

And thinking about it., maybe that's why BSA has the 10 and Aol exception: for those who are mentaly ahead and more mature for their age. They don'y have top be held back and wait for a lump crossing over. By hhaving the exception, they can advance naturally as it suits their abilities.

Anyways, we never lost a WEbelos II because he was a Webelos II. We never had one zone out because he was sick of doing the sae old thing.

Maybe we have great leaders, or a great program. Maybe the boys are not in a hurry to grow up.

So far, the only boys we have trhat do not cross over are due to mom and dad making AOL a stopping point .

ok scoutfish your pack and leaders are the absolute best in the BSA.

Well the rest of us aren't that great.

Our Webelos den is very active with the troop and our boys are ready in 9 months. While most packs close shop for the summer we keep going......

Whose rushing, The boys have earned the ALL of the Required pins from all of the required groups before christmas. All but two of this years den have all ready earned all but 3 activity pins. They all know the oath, law and outdoor code......

In my opinion, I would be doing a disservice to them by holding back an entire year. It is their choice to cross over or not....

Nope, we aren't the best.

" It is their choice to cross over or not.... "

See now, that makes a big difference. And tha falls into what I was saying.

Also, working straight through summer does make a difference. That would put you 3 months ahead of us, calendar wise, but total time wise would be the same.

My point, based on many comments over time and in different thread related to crossovers and AoL ceremonies is that alot of pack push the scouts to be finished by B&B and/or advancing as soon as possible to go ahead and get them into a troop because they can.

Some even say that this works better for the troops schedule and boys can go to summer camp that year instead of waiting.

Waiting? They will be active untuil the are 18 ( or longer as a leader) unless they get burnt out trying to get Eagle by 12 or as absolutely as soon as possible.

Again, I did not say everybody did it for any one reason...and I also said that I would not lump all boys together since they do mature at different rates.

Afterall, it was you who said your boys grow up a little quicker due to their environment , right?

I imagine that single parent kids with younger siblings do the same as they have somehwat grown into the role of protector and child care provider to a younger sibling.

But as a planned pre set goal of being done as soon as possible?

Sometimes a trip is more than just the destination...sometimes it's about the journey.

Know what I mean?

I admit I am one of those who wants Scouts to go to summer camp ASAP. But maybe I am biased because I was one of those Scouts who did not go to summer camp, and was very envious of those in my den who did go.

I wasn't informed about summer camp until a few weeks before crossing over, which wasn't enough time to get the money to go. So while my friends were having fun at camp, I was stuck home. When they came back, they had a good bit of work done, but more importantly had a blast.

That's why I am a very big proponent of telling Cub Scouts to start saving their money up for summer camp when they are about a year away from crossing over.

We plan for our Webelos to earn their AOL by February and crossover in March. I like that they have time to wear their AOL as Webelos. If they earn it earlier, it is awarded earlier. They spend a lot of time with the troop, camping in the fall and in February, going to meetings, and by having Boy Scouts attend Webelos meetings to teach skills. Otherwise, the Webelos work on any required pins that are left and on pins that they chose and lead in meetings.