Gifts for Webelo 1 crossing over to Webelo 2

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Pack also gives neckerchiefs (at graduation) to the scouts crossing into their new dens...

Nothing for WEB1's crossing into WEBII's, but we do (did this year) give the WEBII's crossingover to boy scouts each a scout pocket knife, as they were clearanced at the scout shop for a couple dollars each.. They loved them....

I agree with B. Dweller. It is not crossing over--just a continuation. At most a compass, maybe a water bottle. Never a mess kit, I know our Boy Scouts have no need of them.

Plan a good outing (as in outdoors).

• 1 year later...

I agree that in today's day 'n age parents have become rather excessive with regards to gifts, trinkets and the like for some of the most mediocre accomplishments. But, Scouting has done it since they added the beads to Wolf and Bear....

All that being said, *if* you do give a gift to one group of boys there is an expectation that all the boys receive something. Regardless of Web's II being a continuation of Web's I - there is still the demarcation between the two, in that Web's I's are not (according to National) supposed do certain things that the II's can. In short, National identifies them as separate levels.

So, what sort of gift? Compass? It get's lost. Knife? I view that as something mom & dad (especially dad) gets to give as a holiday gift when they've earned their Whittling Chip Card.

I'm making them Turk's head neckerchief slides. Yes, the one you make your first day at Woodbadge.

As for the attitude on this forum... before hitting the submit button maybe take a review of the Scout Oath and Law. It applies to us as much, if not more so, than the boys.

BD - I understand your sentiment, but it is your opinion.

Fred you are incorrect about national having two separate Webelos levels.

Please provide evidence in the form of links to the national scout websites....Myscouting or scouting.org.

my evidence to the contrary

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416_Insert_Web.pdf

Note no difference in year 1 or 2 webelos.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/~/link.aspx?_id=8A6530FC-8EA1-4550-83B3-F439318D7B61&_z=z

There is only one webelos handbook, not two....

Webelos have a larger handbook with 20 Activity Badges they can work on in the 2 years they are Webelos.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/cubscouts/cub%20scouts/resources.aspx

The webelos program can be completed in less than a year and the boy can advance into Boy Scouts once he earns the AOL

Locally I understand the difference....

Last years webelos don't want to repeat the program with the new guys..........Makes sense to keep them in two different dens to maximize their interest and advancement possibility and potential.

Our program is active enough that the boys only stay in webelos one year or less....The den camps with the troop a couple of times.....We attend resident camp, webelos advancement weekend.....Bang were done....

So fred please check your facts before you post them as such.

To be clear, I am not part of the uniform police, not am I a grammar nazi ( like I have to point that one out), nor am I one of those people who get bent out of shape over a wrong usage of a word or term.

But I do have to point out that it is just Webelos. Not Webelo or Webelos I and Webelos II.

My pack does say Webelos and Webelos II, but we only use it for OUR OWN distinction of our 1st year Webelos and second year Webelos dens.

Other than that unit based informal useage, there is no national, council or district distinction within Webelos

Now, anopther point is that it is only a crossover when the Webelos cross over to a troop. Everybody else graduates a rank...they do not cross over.

So, we had the same issue year after year after tear.

Starting last year, I told the committee that we needed to do something.

When each of our ranks graduates up to the next rank, we have them cross a bridge. Before they cross teh bridge, we remove their old rank necker. After they cross the bridge, they recieve their new rank necker.

The pack also buys the next rank book only for those who participate in the graduation ceremony. You participate, you get a book. You don't participate, you don't get the necker or book unless you buy your own.

SO, where does this leave the Webelos going into their second year?

WE just mention that they are continuing in their second year.

And when they cross over to a troop, we buy ther Boy scout handbook.

And if you think about it, the pack gets off cheaper that way: Instead of buying a book AND necker, we are only buying the book. The troop that accepts them at crossover provides the new necker and shoulder loops.

THis means scouts and parents can spend that same amount of money on things like mess kits, a 1 man tent since the scout no longer needs a tentominium, or other gear needed in Boy Scouts.

The nice thing is that scouts usually break away with the new troop for a while right after the crossover and can start jotting down important info right away.

Our troop meets right after our pack does. About half the boys got their joining requirements signed off the first 15 minutes of their first troop meeting.

fish.....We give the 2nd year webelos a Career arrow at their AOL ceremony......So it all washes out in the end.....

The career arrow is pretty nice.....Real flint arrow head, Turkey feathers that are painted like eagle feathers for fletchings, decorate them with their achievments and such.....

The arrows cost the Pack about $15 each not including the labor to make them....

While they don't get the bobble like everyone else during the graduation ceremony it all washes in the end....

>>"Regardless of Web's II being a continuation of Web's I - there is still the demarcation between the two, in that Web's I's are not (according to National) supposed do certain things that the II's can. In short, National identifies them as separate levels."

We have each scout, whatever the rank, cross a real bridge and meet their den leader on the other side. The den leader congratulates each scout on moving to a new rank year and does the Cub Scout handshake with him. Then we have a snack. Everyone seems satisfied with this.

We dropped neckerchiefs and slides because of cost. We stopped giving out books in May because so many were lost over the summer or the boys didn't return to scouts in the fall (we don't have den meetings.) For boys who want to work on rank advancements over the summer, we have an online program to record them and we also refer them to meritbadge.org. We have a scout or two who buy a book and we are glad to reimburse them.

Keep it simple, make it fun.

Webelos hanbook:

P4 - Your son has joined the part of the Cub Scouting program of the Boy Scouts of America that is for fourth- and fifth-grade boys.

If a boy has completed third grade, or if he has not completed third grade but is 10 years old, he's the right age for his den.

Most Webelos Scouts are in this program for 18 months.

...and after he has completed the fifth grade and is at least 10 years old, or is age 11, or has earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old.... Boy Scout.

I stand corrected (re: Webelos I vs. Webelos II), three months for Webelos emblem, six months Arrow of Light. Start pushing it in June right after school gets out and I guess you could ram the entire Webelos program down the boy's throat in as little as nine months.

Your boys may be different, but if I was in a Boy Scout troop I would be rather leery of an entire den bridging over in 9-months. The exceptional one or two, sure.

Most do not have the emotional maturity at 10 years old - in the middle of 4th grade - to be in Boy Scouts.

Your situation may be unique in this regards. But, from my armchair, I think you are doing the boys a disservice by pushing them.

>>"I stand corrected (re: Webelos I vs. Webelos II), three months for Webelos emblem, six months Arrow of Light. Start pushing it in June right after school gets out and I guess you could ram the entire Webelos program down the boy's throat in as little as nine months.">"Your boys may be different, but if I was in a Boy Scout troop I would be rather leery of an entire den bridging over in 9-months. The exceptional one or two, sure.">"Most do not have the emotional maturity at 10 years old - in the middle of 4th grade - to be in Boy Scouts.">"Your situation may be unique in this regards. But, from my armchair, I think you are doing the boys a disservice by pushing them."

The best gift those Webelos could receive is a special dispensation to proceed directly to a scout troop and join as full fledged Boy Scouts.

The cub program just goes on and on.....

(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

I sure never got a prize for Webelos I! That's similar to giving participation trophies to every player in a sports little league. However, a flashlight or compass would work if you find a gift to be necessary.