Cub Scout Rocketry

Eagle 92 posts:

>

Rocketry is something that has a powerful appeal to Cub Scouts.

I'm going to be using stomp bottle rockets for a recruiting night this spring, and expect to be mobbed.

The water bottle rockets you describe are like the next step up, and I might experiment with that at our June Pack overnight.

I don't have experinece with the "real" fire breathing Estes type rockets. What are likely ways of acquiring enough experience with those to use them in a Cub Scout outing?

I've heard of packs that make quite an activity of that ----perhaps too much like another Pinewood Derby. But perhaps it takes a few years to get to the typical PWD excesses.

Who has pointers on how to makes this a good Cub Scout outing?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids love them and Supply has a sale on them

Now the kids will need to get kits, engines, and wadding. But Supply is selling BULK packs.

Wizard and Viking rockets from Estes is approx $10.50 http://www.estesrockets.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=name&dir=asc&q=wizard

Supply has a 12 packs fro both for for $20.00 http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01CLO&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CL_CRAFTS&C3=&C4=&LV=2&item=179WRK&prodid=179WRK^8^01CLO&

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01CLO&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CL_CRAFTS&C3=&C4=&LV=2&item=179VRK&prodid=179VRK^8^01CLO&

Wadding is about $3.00

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01CLO&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CL_CRAFTS&C3=&C4=&LV=2&item=17991&prodid=17991^8^01CLO&

a packof 3 engines is goign for about $3-$5 compared to about $10 - $11

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01CLO&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CL_CRAFTS&C3=&C4=&LV=2&item=179EPS&prodid=179EPS^8^01CLO&

large packs of engines (24 engines and wadding) about $20

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01CLO&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CL_CRAFTS&C3=&C4=&LV=2&item=179EPL&prodid=179EPL^8^01CLO&

and the $15 controller to launch everything is only $3 from supply

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01CLO&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CL_CRAFTS&C3=&C4=&LV=2&item=17993&prodid=17993^8^01CLO&

Only thing missing is the launch pad. Supply doesn't have them.

Need a nice large field to launch in and it's so easy, even I can do it. LOTS OF FUN!!!!!!!!!!! ( and I am shouting 'cause I a CS leader!)

Some idea to make a nice event.

1) bring drinks and snacks

2) use a launchpad that allows them to put the rocket on. We had someone design a multiple rocket launcher on two saw horses. Pretty cool BUT adults have to load up the rockets.

3)let the kids press the launch button.

Our Pack purchases bulk pack rocket kits and gives the kits out as incentives for reaching the individual popcorn goal.

In August we have a Pack picnic and do a rocket shoot. The Pack purchases the engines in bulk packs, and extra wadding. The Pack has a few launch pads, and there are a few parents who are rocket hobbyists who have more launch pads, and run the rocket launch. It is very informal, and fun.

The boys who earned rockets at popcorn bring them to launch, along with anyone else who has a rocket. There are usually a few biggies from the rocket nuts to be launched, and that is always fun.

The launch area is roped off, and only adults handle the rockets.

The boys have a blast seeing how high their rocket goes, and then chasing it down. Everyone else watches, eats, chats, and has fun.

You need to make sure you have a large open field, with no power lines or such. Have portable tables and shelter to be used as Rocket Central. This can then be set up in the right spot so that the prevailing winds will keep most of the rockets in the field (hopefully!).

Make sure your Rocketeers get food and drinks from the picnic. Ours often forget all about it!

'Nut,

May I suggest the following?

1) Allow the cub launching the rocket into the area to set up the rocket. I know I keep track of teh safety key to insure safety. Another thing I've seen is the Webelos make a "launch" circuit with the battery being able to be removed easily. basically it's wires, button, and a 9volt battery hook up. The battery doubles as the safety key. Adult is responsible for removing the battery and key after launches.

2) have a "Mission Control" chair thatteh cubs can sit in, do the countdown, and launch the rockets. Trust the the thrill is there with the kids lauching themselves.

That is $8.32 for one rocket kit.

At Scoutstuff.org the Wizard is $19.88 for a pack of 12. With Ground shipping of $7.50, the cost for one kit is only about $2.28.

If your local Scout Shop carries the rocket packs then you can eliminate the shipping and drop the cost even more.

At Scoutstuff.org the Wizard is $19.88 for a pack of 12. With Ground shipping of $7.50, the cost for one kit is only about $2.28.

I know it says "12 pack" on the site, but can that price possibly be right? It is a fraction of the cost availble elsewhere for a 12 pack.

First time my pack did it, we had 2 stations: a six rocket launch pad (2x4 with launch posts monted on it connected to 2 saw horses) and my launch pad. We were there about 2 hours and everyone had fun, about 40 showed up.

Secodn time we had the original 2 rigs, and 2 other launch pads. still spent 2 hours, but I know my son launched 5 times.

http://scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01CLO&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=CL_CRAFTS&C3=&C4=&LV=2&item=179WRK&prodid=179WRK^8^01CLO&

we bought this rocket kit set last um, May for the pack

enough of them for the whole pack.

if they participated in the spring fundraiser, they got a rocket for free, otherwise we charged a little something for them.

we got a couple of the controllers

and a boatload of engines

each den spent a meeting putting together rockets, very easy to do with parent help.

we didn't have enough launch pads

so we made one

take a wooden sawhorse,

buy little metal rods at home depot small enough for the rocket to slide over.

drill a little hole in the top of the sawhorse, 6-8 inches apart, slide the little metal rods into the holes 4-6 on the sawhorse, depending on how long it is.

nail a metal juice can lid to the sawhorse right where the rocket will sit for the engine blast. if the rocket wants to slide down the rod too far, wrap a little electrical tape at the right height to keep the rocket high enough.

this will allow you to launch 4-6 rockets at a time.

check with pack families and local troop to see if anyone else has rocket launchers.

on rocket day, bring extra batteries for the controllers.

make sure each rocket has the boy's name on it.

set up a table of adults to load wadding, engines and igniters into the rockets

send boys to wait in line for launching with their rockets on a table nearby.

2 adults make sure key is out of the controllers

then 4 boys at a time bring over their rockets, 2 adults place rockets, clip on wires, and go stand near their rocket controller

at go, each boy takes turns counting down, pushing button and going to see their rocket come down, gather it up and go back for another engine. then the next boy goes

if you have a lot of boys make two sets of launch pad sawhorses and set them up a little bit away from each other. take turns sending 4 boys to each one, and setting up. they launch while the other one gets set up.

note these rockets don't last much more than 2 launches before the cardboard tube gets messed up, or you lose a flag, or other issue. bring some repair items, but be prepared for losses and how to keep a young cub from crying when their rocket blows up and can't be launched again.

The Webelos had a blast when I put on a presentation and then gave them kits to build so we could have a launch day. Found plans on the internet to make a launch control box which had a key to turn to arm the rocket, then a rocker switch under a red cover "like in the movies". They thought that was awesome.

One thing I did during the introduction to rockets was build a jig out of wood that would hold a rocket engine in place. I could mount this jig on a sawhorse so it was more at eye level. Then we ignited the rocket engine. By keeping it in place, the boys could see the fire from the rocket and understand how it works. When the fuel was depleted, they could see the way the engine pops to force the parachute out of the top of the rocket. I demonstrated this with various engine sizes from A to C so they could see the difference on how long each one lasted during the propulsion stage.

If you plan it out, it will make it more exciting then just building and launching.

Since we had a huge hayfield to launch our rockets, for the last of multiple launches, we actually aimed the rockets on a 45 degree angle so they could see how far they would go horizontally. Just keep it safe and fun!