X Post - Buying a Klondike sled

This is a cross post from the Cub Scout forum:

I've been asked to find a Klondike sled ASAP

Our Webelos are suddenly short one sled -- I don't what happened, didn't want to ask, but we need one more right away -- Klondike is in two weeks. This is not a good time for anyone to build one, so I was asked to see if I could find one that could be purchased right away, as opposed to custom ordered.

Does anyone here have a source for purchasing Klondike sleds? I know making one would be fun, but that is not what I was asked to do, so I thought I'd throw this problem out here.

I did find this site, but I'm not sure if this kind of thing would be OK (with wheels added)

http://www.mainemadedogsleds.com/

RELAX. Don't stress over this. Don't buy expensive gear. Keep it simple.

If a sled cannot be made in the remaining time with available help, NO PROBLEM

1. Try borrowing a sled from a Boy Scout troop who might be interested in recruiting your Webelos.

2. Just go with what you have such as a regular plastic sled (call it a sledge) or a wagon if no snow.

This is Scouting, it does not have to be the perfect, just fun.

My $0.02(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

Buy a big plastic box or tub, bought at Target or wherever, big enough to fit a boy into.

Have a family contribute an old pair of skis or buy an old pair at a thrift shop. Remove the bindings from the skis.

Get a 4" x 4" by 8 foot piece of lumber at Home Depot.

Buy a fifty foot length of 1/2" rope at Home Depot.

Buy one dozen 2" long Phillips head wood screws and one dozen 1" long Phillips head wood screws at Home Depot.

(I'm a stock holder!)

Next week the Webelos cut the lumber into eight one foot sections. They glue two sections on top of one another, forming four 8" by one foot blocks.

They also cut two holes through a one foot long piece of wood or plywood and use the plywood to space similar holes through the front of the plastic tub. Thread the rope through the hole in the tub, through the plywood block (which re enforces the plastic), out the 2nd hole in the plywood and out the tub, leaving two ropes for the Scouts to pull on.

The next week, after the glue dries, the Webelos put two of the blocks on top of each ski. They install 2" wood screws from the bottom of the skies into the blocks of wood, holding the blocks in place. (drill pilot holes for the screws with a drill).

Put the plastic tub on top of the blocks. Cut four small pieces of wood or plyoood and put them inside the tub over the blocks. Run 1" wood screws through the small pieces of wood, through the plastic tub and into 4"x8"x12" blocks of wood, holding the tub onto the top of the blocks. (The small pieces of wood reinforce the plastic tub). (drill pilot holes again for the screws).

Decorate with the Webelos den number, pack number or whatever!

The Webelos can do this in two half hour sessions I would suppose. A saw of some kind, drill, some drill bits and a screwdriver would be needed.

Now you have a sled held 8" above the skis so snow doesn't accumulate and obstruct the box, and two ropes for the Scouts to pull. Put a boy in the box and some boys in front and they'll have a great time!

Wow, those are fantastic ideas! I love them! But my mission, as assigned, was to buy one. Plus, this site was down, so I coudn't check any Scouter contributions/ideas. So I searched about and found a list of sled makers world wide.

http://www.sleddogcentral.com/equip_sleds.htm

Then we ordered a Seeley Slider kit, which looks pretty good;

http://www.affordabledogsleds.com/

mn_scout - I thought the same thing.. I will give some leeway to this being Webelos scouts, but I looked at the price and thought, "A pack with no skills amounst the adults and lots of money to burn."

So when did the Klondike become a cub scout event? In our Council it is a Boy Scout event. The cubscouts has something similar in the fall called a chuckwagon derby. In my opinion though those chuckwagons take more skill to make then the Klondike sled, what with the wheels & axel, and the cover wagon canopy top..

moosetracker

In our District (and Council too, I think), Webelos dens may do the Klondike -- they do not compete directly against the Boy Scouts and are scored separately.

And others

Please -- don't shoot the messenger!!!!! I do NOT make policy -- I am simply a parent who is willing to pitch in at a difficult time, if asked.

But I do think the topic of Klondike sleds -- how much do you spend? -- would be a great discussion for a new thread....

Oh my comment was not meant to shoot you (or at you).

If you were a troop, we may have bellyached over the missed opportunities for the boys. But with cub scouts, either the adults do this work when time is at a limit, or they may let the Webelos help out, but plan on spending more time and adult leadership to allow them to get involved.

It was just a comment, most Packs are looking for cheapest solutions.. Borrow, or quick and easy way to slap one together.

I don't think we have ever spent more than $20 on a sled. Usually we have left overs from previous years. donated skis from craigs list and a few hours on a saturday afternoon.

I am going to tell you spending $250 bucks on a sled is crazy, especially for a webelos den.......If you want me to help you with some of that excess money I can forward you an address or paypal account info. Our boys need more basic things like uniforms and books instead of something as frivolous as a Klondike sled.

Not shooting the messenger, a scout is thrifty after all. What lesson is there in throwing money at a problem?????

Sounds to me like one den decided they wanted to do it and built a sled. The other den decided to do it at the 11th hour.

Can you imagine how much priority shipping is going to be on something the size of a sled. I bet your gonna have $400 in the endeavor. Before you spend the money I have 6 boys in my pack that could use uniforms........our uniform closet is bare.......

It is now short notice, so probably not, but if your Pack had gotten their act together sooner I bet for $50 to $100 bucks, you could have gotten one of the troops to build you one, and they could have benefited from the funds.

Yeah postage might be expensive, or you will get parts & pieces that someone still will need to sit down and assemble..

Not knocking Eliza in any way, just knocking the concept of paying $300 dollars for something that is usually built with scrap lumber.

Eliza, if your District annually holds a Klondike for Webelos, and your Pack regularly participates, doesn't the Pack have sleds? Is the Pack paying for this one, or are the parents in the den coughing up the money?

Twocubdad also has a very good point about weather or not this sled would qualify for your Klondike. I strongly suggest checking with the person in charge of the event to verify that the sled can be used. It would be a shame if you spent all of that money only to find that the boys can not use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Seattle

We are under the impression that she is a scout volunteer. I don't believe this is the case, I just believe she is a parent. Trying to give her son and advantage by buying an actual dog sled and cheating by getting advice on a survival kit for the same event from members of this board. The webelos boys should be doing this on their own, with a little guidance from the den leader .

If I am judging wrong I am sorry, just have dealt with this type too many times.