Webelos Transition to Boy Scouts

This question appears in this forum every year about this time (January-February).

For the life of me, I don't see why this is confusing.

1) Webelos (not an acronym according to the BSA) is the correct term. It is not a "plural" word. There are no singular Webelo Scouts. There are not Webeloes either. One may have one Webelos Scout or two or more Webelos Scouts.

2) There is an age requirement. One must be 11, or one may be 10 if a) completed 5th grade or b) earned AOL. Stated with more clarity: A Boy who has earned the Arrow of Light or completed the 5th grade must ALSO be at least 10 years old before he can join a Boy Scout Troop. One must be younger than 18.

So, as far as age goes: no 9 year olds, some 10 year olds and all 11-17 year olds may join.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acco,

Two things:

1)

"This question appears in this forum every year about this time (January-February)."

Well yeah, it does. Why? Because every year a new set of scouts and parents are getting close to that time where their Webelos are going to cross over.

Last years Webelos that crossed over are Boy Scouts now.

Next years Webelos aren't close enough to be concerned or worried about it yet.

Just saying,. each, it's a new set of people.

2) " One must be 11, or one may be 10 if a) completed 5th grade or b) earned AOL. Stated with more clarity: A Boy who has earned the Arrow of Light or completed the 5th grade must ALSO be at least 10 years old before he can join a Boy Scout Troop. One must be younger than 18."

WEll see, if BSA stated it just like you said, it might be alot clearer to many people. But the BSA doesn't, It is twisted around a bit so that you might read it one way, then next time, read it diffrently. It sounds like Yoda talking:

"Varied, may your milage, be!"

(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

While I'm clear on the AOL requirements, I'm UNclear on whether there is a rule on how we should count the six months for AOL Req. #1. I'm asking because I have a boy who joined Cub Scouts for the first time on October 18, 2010, as a Webelos 2 (age 10). He's striving to earn the AOL. Our Crossover will be March 31, 2011. Simply counting months on the calendar would put him ineligible to cross over until April 18, but there are 26+ weeks between when he joined and when we'll have Crossover. Is there a rule of thumb for counting months? I'd love for all my boys to cross over together, but I don't want to skirt the requirements. Anything worth earning is worth earning right and working for it.

His birthday (11 yo) isn't until May so he can't cross over into the troop with his fellow scouts until then if he doesn't earn the AOL.

Thanks in advance.

One year, a group of Webelos wanted to join our troop. One of the boys was very young for his grade. He had not earned AOL and was not 11 nor finished the 5th grade. So I had him "join" the troop - officially he was a visiting Webelos - and then he formally joined as soon as he "graduated" from 5th grade.

I talked to his parents about it and they were cool with it. I think the boys and vast majority of parents didn't really notice the difference. I let him work on requirements but didn't sign off until he finished the 5th grade. It all worked out well.

Had a discussion with the Scoutmaster of the troop most of our Webelos cross over too (same CO) about this subject. Recently in our council, we had a case of a boy going up for Eagle that "crossed over" from Webelos to a troop without earning AOL, while he was still 10. He earned two Eagle required merit badges (Swimming and First Aid) at summer camp (while still 10). When it came time to apply for Eagle, he had to re-earn those two merit badges because he couldn't have officially become a Scout without AOL at age 10, and hence, he couldn't earn merit badges.

perdidochas, you make a very good point. Often the decisions we make can effect others. I sat on an EBOR recently that had us walking away shaking our heads. The boy sat and told us how his SM had created the project, supplied all the materials and labor and how, when he was about to start, the SM decided to split the project in two to make two identical smaller projects so that another Scout could do his Eagle. We discussed the scope of the project with the boy and I know that a couple of us were very concerned by what we were hearing. We did end up passing the boy on the basis that the project was approved as he had done it and he knew it was not up to snuff so had done (and documented) much more than the project was originally intended to be. It was very disconcerting to say the least and the board made sure that the Eagle chair was aware of the issue as well as the leadership of the CO. I think that decisions made by adults that are contrary to the directives of the program usually result in later issues for the youth. As adult leaders we are looked upon as people who do the right thing and shortcuts can be costly. Those shortcuts may never affect the adult (they may even makes things "easy" for them) but other leaders and the youth can pay heavily. I personally see no benefit in a short Webelos program and feel that the boys who participate are not getting nearly what they should and I also think that a short program stems from a weak program. The only boys I have ever known that wanted to cross early were boys who were not stimulated by the program and that is almost always the leaders fault. There is a reason that BSA has gone to a more structured program, it is to keep the boys involved and motivated because so many leaders were not able to do it on their own. FWIW JMO

perdidochas, I do appreciate your insight. I certainly would hate for this scout's Eagle to be compromised if he makes it that far.

Some suggestions from our Committee were that he participate in the Crossover ceremony with his den, yet finish out his two weeks with one of our Webelos 1 dens. I suppose he could attend Troop meetings during those two weeks as a visitor. I just want to keep the momentum going because his dad is not involved in scouts with him; I'm not sure his mom sees the value in continuing into Boy Scouts; and I don't think the scout realizes how great Boy Scouts will be. If we can get him to attend Troop meetings along with his fellow scout buds, I'm hoping he'll love it. I'm hoping all my boys will love it whether their dads are along for the ride or not. (Oops, that's a topic for another thread!)

Den ldr, will this Webelos have completed all of the requirements (except the time) for the Arrow of Light (AOL), including earning his Webelos rank award, by the end of March?

If so, then I would say that for a boy with two disinterested parents, to complete all of that, on his own, in 6 months, is extremely hard, and a great achievement.

You said that you don't think the scout realizes how great Boy Scouts will be, and you want him to attend Troop meetings with his den mates. Part of earning AOL is attending Troop meetings/activities. Make sure your Webelos den attends a number of these, with different Troops. That will help encourage all of them.

If the Scout will have met all of the requirements by the end of March crossover ceremony, and he has picked a Troop he wants to join, then I would have a heart-to-heart talk with the Scoutmaster(SM). Since it is only a bit over 2 weeks until the 6 month mark, the boy could crossover with his den, attend meetings with the Troop, start to get acclimated, and to know the other Scouts. Meanwhile the SM could hold on to the boys application, and not submit it to council until the 19th of April. At that time the boy would officially start working on Boy Scout requirements.

Hmmm, interesting take on that attending troop meetings requirement of the AOL. This scout has not completed the AOL on his own. His mom has helped him. And he will have earned his Webelos rank by our B&G next month. I like the idea of the BS meetings and the SM holding onto his application until the time requirement is met much more than having him go back and attend Webelos 1 den meetings - unless, of course, he wants to earn more activity badges. Thanks!

den ldr wrote: "While I'm clear on the AOL requirements, I'm UNclear on whether there is a rule on how we should count the six months for AOL Req. #1. I'm asking because I have a boy who joined Cub Scouts for the first time on October 18, 2010, as a Webelos 2 (age 10). He's striving to earn the AOL. Our Crossover will be March 31, 2011. Simply counting months on the calendar would put him ineligible to cross over until April 18, but there are 26+ weeks between when he joined and when we'll have Crossover. Is there a rule of thumb for counting months? I'd love for all my boys to cross over together, but I don't want to skirt the requirements. Anything worth earning is worth earning right and working for it.

"His birthday (11 yo) isn't until May so he can't cross over into the troop with his fellow scouts until then if he doesn't earn the AOL."

------------------------------

No problem -- this sort of thing happens all the time. It is a paperwork timing matter, nothing for Scout or parents to be concerned about (or even know about). At the March 31 ceremony, hand him the Arrow of Light and cross him over with the rest. Ask the Pack Advancement Chair to use the April 18 date on the advancement report, since that will be his official AoL date. Ask the troop not to register him (or don't turn in his application form) until after April 18. In the interim, he will still be a registered Webelos Scout, and you will keep the den "active" by visiting troop meetings for a couple of weeks until he hits the magic six months.

At the end of the school year, we alway do a "bridging" in the woods behind the school where we meet for ALL the boys in the pack to move into their new rank. They get their new neckerchiefs and slides, if there are still advancements made they are awarded at that time. On occasion we've also had flag retirements (burning) at this ceremony as well. It is a really special time to end the school year and kick off the summer program with the boys in their "new" dens. We also have a boy that registered as a Web2 just this year, is in 5th grade, and actually won't even turn eleven until next October, so he can't enter Scouts with his den, and it will take him until the end of the year (June) before he could finish his AOL anyway. I'm encouraging him to stick with the Pack until the end of the school year and bridge at that time (with all the other boys in the pack), though I'll be getting him to lots of Scout meetings during that time.