Leader refuses to use immediate recognition beeds

OOOOPS! :)

I somehow took Clems being a TDL in the first responce and merged it with the OP.

Still, as I have repeatedly stressed, it's not the beads themselves that make me raise an eyebrow. It the fact that a leader for a program about boys, for boys, and designed around a boy's mentality...decided ( based on his owm personal likes and dislikes) that they got enough stuff alreagy.

Really? He decided that a big portion of the advancement part of the Cub Scout Program that spans 3 ranks isn't really a big deal because they get enough stuff already.

Well, I hope that in his job as a BSA volunteer or in his regular career, that his boss only recognizes a certain amount of good work and progress. After that, the boss decides he's already considered enough stuff and recognized it already.

Same thing for soliciting $$$ through opopcorn: What if a person who always bought some just up and decided that the pack has enough money because they sold enough to others and didn't need any more.

Personally, I'd use the immediate recognition beads and incorporate any hiking, camping, or whatever else into earning the IMMDEIATE recognition beads.

I'm just simply saying this: If he refuses to use the IR beads...when and where else we he decide something is just useless fluff?

And again, not saying there is a garantee that he's gonna start changing everything around...but I would keep an eye open for it and be ready to step in with some preventative measures.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread.

Two years ago I was Tiger Cub Den Leader in two different struggling packs.

I used the beads and found them useful, and easy to manage. Boys reported their prgress at each meeting and got beads for their achievements. Handing out beads at Go See Its was easy.

As Cubmaster, I have a Tiger Cub Den Leader and Bear Den Leader who aren't using the immediate recognition method. I bought some of the items and e-mailed the DLs that they were available.

They haven't taken me up on this. No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

EVERY description of Scout leadership requirements I've ever seen has a lengthy list of responsibilities that I've never seen anyone do completely.

My approach is that such lengthy lists or a smorgasboard that I and other leaders pick and choose from, deciding what we can do and what is needed to make the program work.

We make choices. That's a goodly part of what leadership is all about.

So I'd look at the whole job the Den Leader is doing. If it's positive I might offer them the immediate recognition kits, but I wouldn't nag them about it if they don't use it.

It's quite true that boys need to have fun in Scouting or they will leave. That applies to adults as well.