Video Gaming Pin & Belt Loop

My council this past weekend had that belt loop available as an activity. I didn't sit throught he class with my son as, HE IS MY SON 9caps for emphasis) and wanted to go Rowing, Climbing. But I was told that the instructor put on one heck of a good class working on the BL and some of the pin requirements.

Scoutnut

Actually the class that was put on was a great one. The instructor went though and explained ALL the different levels of rating, and discussed how maturity levels play into the use of games. Also how if one boy is older and allowed to play a higher rated game, and a younger one comes over, it may not be alright for the younger to play the same games.

Also looking over the Pin requirements, it says that some of the requirements ask the scout to compare game systems, set up a game system, teach an adult how to play a game, and play games that teach them something to help with school.

Also remember that video games do help to build on eye-hand coordination.

Even though I am not 100% fine with the belt loop, I think they did a decent job at setting up the requirements.

I don't see anything wrong with the belt loop. It's not being earned by getting a high score on Halo.

We are I guess what you would consider a gaming family. I am a college educated male in my mid 30's. One of my hobbies is video games. I have the xbox360 and the ps3 and my kids' have the wii (among various older nintendo systems and handheld devices)Video games are kind of a big part of our entertainment.

That being said, my kids are only allowed to play on weekends and non school break days. ( a schedule that they help set up)

They know the rating system and can explain what each rating means and the appropriate maturity level for each rating.

They can pick out games that are appropriate for their age level. My older son actually saved up all his birthday money and bought the new pokemon game all on his own.

So with out even trying or doing anything different they have earned the belt-loop.

I don't know what the requirements are for the pin, but I bet they could qualify for that with out doing anything different either.

"I think it is a little bit lame, just as I think the "good manners" belt loop is lame. Not that I am opposed to good manners, but that I am sad to see we apparently need a belt loop in order to promote manners."

Yeah, it is a little odd, but then again, looking both ways before crossing the street and not playing with matches are part of the Wolf Badge requirement. I think the advantage of these "well, duh" awards is that it manufactures an opportunity to talk about important things with the kids. And maybe works as a reminder for parents. Going through the Wolf Badge with my son, I realized he didn't know what gas smelled like. I should have made sure he knew that without a cub scout award to guide me, but it was nice to have the reminder.