Emblem of Faith

We have Bears who will be receiving their Bear Badge at Blue and Gold Banquet. We were hoping to offer a course at our COR to complete the Emblem of Faith requirement for the Webelos I group soon. If the Bears have received their Bear Badge and they took this course could it count toward the Webelos Badge requirement even though they won't have officially crossed over?

A couple of things here.

First, generally speaking, requirements for Webelos awards have to be completed while they are Webelos, which means, after they have graduated to the Webelos level in June. Completing and receiving the Bear badge does not make a boy a Webelos.

Second, keep in mind that some faiths have a different emblem for Webelos level scouts than for Bear scouts. For it to count for the Webelos badge, it has to be a Webelos emblem.

Third, they don't have to earn the religious emblem for the Webelos badge; they can do two of the tasks outlined is 8e, instead.

All that said, some of the religious emblems can take a while to complete, so it's possible that a boy could *start* an emblem as a Bear, and not *complete* it until he has graduated to Webelos. In that case, I would think it would be up to the church (since they actually award the emblem), whether they are willing let the boy do that, and up to your pack/leaders to decide if that will count toward the Webelos requirement (assuming he was working on the appropriate level award for a Webelos).

Dan K has it succinctly about the Religious Award.

I would like to point out that when the Bears have their Bear Badge, that should not be a sign to sit down and take Cub nap. There are lots of Arrow Points to earn and places to go and(I hope) lots of stuff to do, Den wise, Pack wise and District and Council wise! Keep them Bears (and Tigers and Wolves) hopping!

I asked the question more for my own son than anything. He has pretty much done all the electives for Arrow Points and will be earning his Bear Badge at Blue and Gold. That is what we get for having him attend Day Camp and Resident Camp I suppose (even though he begged to!)

I don't see it as a time to take a Cub Nap that is for sure. The Bear Den has lots of fun things coming up as Bridging Webelos like Spring Camp O Ree with Troop, Webelos Camp O Ree, Trip to Yorktown, End of year campout...then on to Webelos Resident Camp!

My younger son is just ready to start work on Webelos stuff now that big brother is about to join Troop...he is ready for the cool stuff(his words) LOL!

Your son has completed the ENTIRE Bear Handbook? Wow!

Between the Achievement and Elective sections, that could be around 160, or 16 arrow points. That is some accomplishment!

If you are just looking for more to do with your son to keep him active, and interested, has he earned all of the 2010 ribbons? How about the BSA Family program awards? Leave No Trace? Outdoor Activity Award? How about belt loops, and pins for the loops he has already earned? Has he looked at any of the new Belt loops?

How about if he picked his favorite elective (he has LOTS to pick from!) and helped the rest of his den earn it?

There is still plenty of stuff he can do as a Bear until the end of the school year!

Thanks ScoutNut for the awesome suggestions. I should clarify and say he hasn't done "everything" in the entire book. I originally said he had pretty much done all the electives. He has some he hasn't finished but doesn't really want to...the ones he hasn't finished aren't things that he is interested in at all and some we can't do in our area like skiing (in GA can you imagine!)I didn't want you to misunderstand and think I mislead you! He has done Outdoor Activity and Leave No Trace. I am not very familiar with the 2010 ribbons> what are they?

If he did nothing else the rest of the year I think he would end up with about 10 Arrow Points. I don't want to seem as if it is just about him earning as much stuff as possible, we just want to keep him busy and having fun so he doesn't get bored! He is VERY active and never slows down so we just want him to enjoy himself every step of the way.

Of course I think he is just in competition with his brother to earn more stuff than he did LOL!

You can get all of the information on the 100th Anniversary Year of Celebration awards here -

http://scouting.org/100years/100years/ayearofcelebration.aspx

For belt loops and pins, BSA now has the requirements online, including the new ones -

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/awards/adults/sanda.aspx'>http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/awards/adults/sanda.aspx

If your son works on belt loops and pins, keep in mind that some of the belt loops are part of the Webelos program, and to be used as such, must be earned while a Webelos. There are plenty of others to do however, so it should not really be a problem.

Some other things you can work on are -

Emergency Preparedness

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/awards/adults/sanda.aspx

BSA Physical Fitness Award

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/Publications/PhysicalFitness.aspx

Not sure what this site is doing to the links, but clicking on the end one will open the page.(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)