Can I take a group of Webalos kayaking? We've done the canoe thing many times.. they are ready for a more challenging trip.

Also, any tried and true succesful Webalo activities that you have done with your group over the years...

Thanks.

Before you go and jump on twil444, Canoeing AND Kayaking are allowed Webelos activities. Yes they are to be done at district/council events, as with any other water activities in Cub Scouting

So yes you can go Kayaking. District or council event, flat water only. So maybe you can get a district event organized that brings more boys to the table/trip

The Guide to Safe Scouting includes conflicting information about whether Webelos can do kayaking. The statement I quoted above, in the main text section, clearly states they can't. The age-appropriate activities chart says they can, on flatwater, as part of district or council activities.

I'll stick with the clear and unambiguous statement, thanks, not the chart that a graphic designer could easily have misdesigned.

Shortridge, on the Aquatics page of the G2SS, in the Safety Afloat section (which is above the section for kayaking), it states -

"For Cub Scouts: Canoeing, kayaking, rowing, and rafting for Cub Scouts (including Webelos Scouts) are to be limited to council/district events on flat water ponds or controlled lake areas free of powerboats and sailboats. Prior to recreational canoeing and kayaking, Cub Scouts are to be instructed in basic handling skills and safety practices."

So, yes it does contradict itself, however it is still pretty clear on the subject of Webelos kayaking.

Twil444, No, you can not just "take a group of Webalos (Webelos) kayaking" wherever you wish. It MUST be on flat water and it MUST be part of a Council/District event.

Seems I have hurt twils feelings. Sorry not my intent

You post a question on an internet forum, give us zero background and get upset when we ask questions before we post an answer?

I am not going to give an incomplete or inaccurate answer without additional information. I supplied what the GSS said complete with a link to back what I told you.

You did not hurt my feelings.. I just let you know that you were rude to me and I did not appreciate it.

Thank you to EVERYONE ELSE who responded politely and in a way becoming of a true Scout. Those responsed were appreciated.

BasementDweller... stay in the basement!

Twil,

I do not believe Basementdweller was being rude. Concerened yes as sometimes you will have units doign things they are not suppose to, i.e. shooting sports and boating.

BSA has a tradition of aquatics safety going back almost to the founding. The guidelines are there to preserve lives, and trust me drowning DO happen at scouting functions even if all the rules are followed. My old council did suffer a fatality at a CS camp in the 1980s. And yes they did follow SSD!