Summertime Pack award

I think many of you misunderstand what I was saying as far as counting Resident Camp as a summer Pack activity (except for SctDad). It is really not right to count something as a Pack event if not all the Pack is eligiable to attend. In our case resident camp is for Webelos only so to count that as Pack event even though multiple boys from our Pack went isn't right because Tigers, Wolves, and Bears could not attend.

A Pack event does not have be something that everyone attends, nor does it have be something that at least so many people from each rank attend, it should be something that at least all ranks have the oppurtunity to attend though. Counting Cub Day Camp, no problem there, all ranks can go so it becomes a Pack activity.

Pack15

So the 4 boys who went to resident camp don't get the award, because they did not go to the Twilight Camp with the tigers.

The tigers along with everyone else in the pack was well informed about the Twilight camp. Not to mention, the boys who went to resident camp were planning on it months before the tigers were even able to join as tigers.

I understand what you are saying about a pack activity, but does the whole pack have to attend the same event, even if they cannot afford it.

A Pack event does not have be something that everyone attends, nor does it have be something that at least so many people from each rank attend, it should be something that at least all ranks have the oppurtunity to attend though.

This was my original post. As I stated, I don't think everyone in the pack has to attend an event for it to count, nor should at least so many people from each rank have to attend for it to count. What really matters is that the event was open to everyone.

Such as in our case, Webelos could attend the Resident Camp and no one else could. That is not right to count that because the Pack could not attend only certain boys.

I know the way my pack works, they have multiple activities planned each month, save August, and they promote the council activities too. So they do count the council activities afro the summertime award.

For example, we had two pack activities in June, plus the council family camp out and district baseball game. July had CSDC, council resident camps, and our pack events were supposed to be a baseball game, but due to rain we saw the 501st Legion "Vader's Fist" at he library instead, and a pool party. Since we start up early with regular meetings, our last summer activity will be an cub Scout Summer Olympics this monday. Oha nd we also started early witht he summer activities: the last weekend in May we did a service project, followed by a a skating party.

My Pack promotes our Council Summer Camps, all of them.

We will pick one of the weekends at the nearby (1.5hr away) 2day/1night camp and designate it our Pack's camp date. That way it gives the Pack families a specific date to put on their calendar and they know that there is a good chance there will be others from the Pack there too.

However, not everyone can get the same dates off, and some might prefer a longer camping experience (4day/3night), or one specifically for Webelos. We let everyone know about all of the camps, all of the dates, and the camp/date that the Pack has picked, they then decide if/when/where they want to go.

All of it counts for the Summertime award (even the Webelos only camp), as they are all Scout activities being done during Summer months, and promoted by the Pack.

ScoutNut,

IMHO counting Webelos only camping toward summertime pack is cheating the system. Just because the pack promotes it, the entire pack is not able to attend. Since only Webelos can go it is a den or patrol activity despite who promotes it.

Our pack promotes our Webelos Resisent camp but too but we would never try to count it as a pack activity.

If the Bears are going to a climbing center to climb and it is mentioned a pack meeting to increase attendance is that a pack activity. No! It is den activity. If you are counting things the way you are then I am sure everyone in your pack has the summertime pack award and it really means nothing but in our pack few have it and kids work hard to stay active so they can get it.

We are not talking about den activities here. We are talking about Council Summer Camps.

Nope, we don't consider it "cheating the system" to count a Webelos who goes to a Webelos only Summer Camp session. We will also count it if a group of Wolf families all make sure to sign up for the same Summer Camp session.

>>"If you are counting things the way you are then I am sure everyone in your pack has the summertime pack award and it really means nothing but in our pack few have it and kids work hard to stay active so they can get it."

Ditto what others have said, the purpose is to keep CS active over the summer. I remember a time when the pack essentially met during the 9 mos. of school, and then stopped for the summer. if memory serves, the Sumemrtime award was created to keep cubs active.

The way my pack sees it is that it is not cheating the system, rather the council events are there to provide opportunities for folks who may not be able to make the pack events. It gives them CS and his family additional opportuinities to be active.