World Conservation Project and LNT Project

There's not rule against counting one project for both awards. So you could. If you have to.

But, remember, our purpose isn't to decorate the boy's shirts with the largest number of patches possible. It's to teach character, citizenship and fitness. So which approach teaches those better? Doing the minimum possible, or doing two projects which build character, demonstrate citizenship and get them outdoors becoming physically and mentally fit?

Draw your own conclusions.

I'm not trying to cut corners. I'm trying to decide whether to do a really big project or a few small projects. Picking up trash at some site is always popular - and needed. The major project is helping the city with a new park. The city owns some land on a local mountain that they've decided to turn into a park. I thought that with the historical society we could find some of the old coal mine railroad beds and turn them into a trail.

What types of projects have other Wolf's done in the past.

Sorry - I made an assumption. Very often the "double-dipping" question comes up when people are trying to find a one size fits all solution.

Trail building is probably beyond the scope of Wolf Scouts.

Create a rain or butterfly garden for your school, Chartered Org. or a local park.

Plant trees or native plants for the park district/conservation district.

Invasive species removal would be another possibility.

All of those would work for World Conservation.

A "Leave No Trace" related service project should focus on one of the principles of LNT. Making trail signs, distributing LNT info, making a LNT presentation at a school event, etc. would be appropriate.

Wow, building a trail sounds more like a Boy Scout Eagle project than a Wolf conservation project to me.

The last three years, our pack has worked with our local government conservation organization on suitable projects to participate in. This past spring, we helped plant 1000 trees as a windbreak around a local cemetery. In past years, we have planted 1100 trees along a creek to help prevent erosion and have cleared brush around a lake. Each of these projects was well within the capabilities of even the youngest Wolf, and we've even had Tigers help out, even though they could not earn the WCA.

You might find other ideas in this similar thread from last March/April:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=186924

In our pack, we usually wait to earn LNT until the boys are Bears because it is one of the Bear requirements for the Outdoor Activity Award. I am planning for the boys to do a litter pick-up as the LNT service project.

(This message has been edited by Beagle Scout)

I think a trail is a great idea and I would feel comfortable using something of that magnitude to satify both requirements. We do invasive species removal, garlic mustard and japanese knot weed. There are also a couple of other projects we complete each year, the swamp romp which is a trash clean up and a couple of other eager beaver stuff.

Concerning the counting of a project for two awards: Last year, we did WCA as a bear den and we did not allow parents to count the electives done for WCA toward Arrow Points because of the whole double dipping thing (of course we made some very mad). I have never read anything that says you can't count one activity for two awards or achievements (except for Webelos), but our interpretation was that the boys where earning an award and the electives where requirements of that award not just something extra.

I agree with most people here in saying that the purpose of ranks, achievements, and awards is for the boys to work toward and earn something not to rack up or bend the rules. I am not implying that is what you are trying to do AlabamaDan. However, we ran into a lot in Bears and I am sure you will see it in Wolves too that some parents want to do as little work as possible and get the most for their boys.

We did a cleanup around a local lake for our service project and did a few other requirements while we where there. If you can get people to come, a Saturday afternoon would be great for this, you can get a lot done of the WCA award in one outing if you plan well.

I think that project sounds more on the Wolrd Conservation end of the award. As far as Wolves- thay can get a chance to use the tools and help. they cab spread mulch and help palnt some plants. Of course all these are on the Wolf prgram but it's up to you whether you count towards those or not. If boys come back more than once I would say to do that, if they only show up one day only use towards one award or requirement.

My den helps maintain one of the school gardens. we weed and plant flowers. We have done it 2 years in a row. I have used towards Good Turn hours and electives.

Thanks for all the replies and guidance. Maybe the trail is too much for Wolf Cubs. I'll share that idea with some of the webelos. I like the idea of the flower bed. I think there's an old flower bed at the boys school that is being negleted. Perhaps we can adopt that whole flower bed and keep it up for the next year or two.

AND, I should wait until next year for the LNT award? That's what someone suggested.

BTW, I take no offense to comments. I really appreciate the guidance. Before last year I had no experience with Scouting. The guidance I get from my Pack Leadership is good, but not quite where I'd like to be. They seem to think that meeting once a month is enough. Last year I met once or twice a month.

In my area children are usually very involved in after school activities. My son is involved with Karate, Scouting, Kumon, Piano and whatever the seasonal sport is. His story is much like the other boys in the den. I lost everyone during baseball season! So while I understand everyone's time committments, I really want the boys to enjoy this and adopt scouting principals as a way of life. What I did last year was put together a schedule for the entire year and publish it. I was disappointed to not have 100% attendance at functions, especially since everything was carefully planned for the boys to earn their Tiger badge.

If I read the official BSA stuff it seems like we should meet once a week, but that's just two much. I'm thinking every other week is more doable. Maybe I'm a dreamer, but these are a good bunch of boys and if they stick with scouting these 10 boys would be best friends all the way through high school, they'd be good kids that adults like to have around, charitable, etc... But I'm just not getting support from the parents to enable that to happen.

I was able to get 4 out of 10 to attend scout day camp and they're having a ball!

My goal now is to have more meetings and get the boys to really enjoy scouting and want to come more. So...next meeting is basically just a pool party/picnic. I am going to set up an obstacle course for them to go through their first requirement of tumbling, running in place, playing catch, etc... Give out books and awards to those who haven't received them and just turn them loose for a couple of hours to really get to know each other.

Thanks for letting me vent. There's no one around here I can do that with who'd understand.

As a wolf leader I combined the LNT w/ the YOur Living World acheivement. Of course it takes more than one meeting. While we discussed reclying and how to be environmentally conscious we read the LNT guidelines and each boy took a point and drew a pciture about it. We recylced at the pinewood derby as there was only 1 trash can. We also divided up all the paper products to put in the church's special paper dumpster for the church to get money. I think doing one project at a time gives them more understanding on what they are doing. I do give multiple credits sometimes- towards a loop as well as an elective.

other ideas- doing a stream cleanup or participating in Earth Day.

I think the trail idea would certainly let you off the hook with anyone that gets upset with you 'double dipping'. Honestly, that is a long, involved project, and will require way more work than two 'pick up trash' outings. (not to knock that project, we do several a year, but building a trail is certainly a much larger undertaking!)

I don't think it would be too hard at all- even the Tigers could help with raking, or placing markers. I'm sure you've already figured that most of the work will be done by parents, but if your parents are Ok with that then I say go ahead! Although I would make it a pack thing- sounds like you will need lots of extra hands for something of that scope.

And as an addeed bonus, you can 'adopt' your own trail and have the pack maintain it! Not only do you garner more service hours, but kids really seem to get into the idea of having "thier" trail. Experience has shown me that when kids feel some ownership in something like that, they will protect it, nurture it, and take you out there way more often then you really wanted to go just to make sure it's being used properly!

• 2 weeks later...

AlabamaDan,

Gcan has a good idea with involving the Pack. If you are real energetic, propose it as a District Cub event. The more the merrier. Depending what the geographical makeup of the parks is, you could possibly get National Wildlife Federation, Ducks Unlimited, Gander Mountain, state agencies as sponsors and for funding. maybe different District Packs could work on a different part of the trail, or on a different trail for the WCA , and then pledge to keep the trail clean and picked up, as someone else mention, for the LNT Award. Good luck.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've given the making a trail project to the Webelos. We've chosen to officially adopt a large flower bed in front of our elementary school and keep it up for the next few years. Planting flowers, pulling weeds, trimming bushes, etc. We helped them do some major work on it this summer and they gave it to us since 4th graders are in another building. They're taking the trail.

We'll do some trash pickup at the local nature trail and park. I plan to do some hiking this year and we'll make it a regular practice to carry a little sack to pick up trash in while we hike. Maybe a prize the person who picks up the most trash on each hike?

We might save the LNT badge for next year. Who knows.