HEat Related campout question

I have a fefw parents that are concerned about the heat index this weekend for a comapout. The question i have is ....

Does BSA have any words that talk to heat index and possibly canceling a camp out. besides the obvious of, use common sence, stay hydrated, stay in the shade.......

YiWB

Scott

Remind them that the kids are young and as long as they stay hydrated, they don't have to worry.

I lived in Arizona when I was a kid and we used to be outside riding bikes and playing football when it was over 100. Stay inside? No way!

Yeah, I can remember recently some 115 degree days in California that were very interesting. But the low humidity offers some relief assuming you are hydrated enough to sweat. High temperatures AND high humidity can be cause for extra care. Like Gold Winger says, stay hydrated, but there are other things you can do as well. Make sure they have hats and sunscreen. Let them shuck off the shirts...shoes too if it's safe enough. If water is readily available, use it as part of the activities. Make sure the boys are wet. Make sure shade is available and make sure that there are periods of rest (read: time for a snack/drink) during which you can monitor their status. And most of all watch each one of them because they will have individual responses.

But cancel the activity? We've never done it for that reason.

Edited Part: Just noticed you're in northern VA. We're about 200 miles south of you and in the worst heat, we just seek greater altitude and cool mountain streams. You can do the same thing.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Here's the important points:

1) Keep the kids drinking water. They should copiously urinate no less than every two hours.

2) Provide a means for the boys to cool off a bit. Quick... does anyone else here remember playing fireman and working the hose and nozzle?

I remember the cubs well as both den leader and cubmaster. I loved the cubs, still do. I'd go back to the cubs if I was needed.

I do understand the need the accomodate the parents' concerns. And as long as the boys are having fun, all is well. Have a great outing.

Oh fer cryin' out loud.

Kids around the world live in hotter environments than northern Virginia without even the benefit of air conditioning! (the horrors!)

Take along a big cooler and lots of ice; make lemonade and gatorade constantly available and have at it.

If some parent wants to keep their kid in an air conditioned cocoon, they don't have to come, eh?

B

Beavah, I would agree but remember these are cubs...meaning (as I remember well) sometimes the parents express concerns that are more related to their own interests and just express it in terms of the boys.

The parents are likely to be there because it's a cub scout activity. And there is the possibility that there really is a legitimate medical issue of which we're not aware.

Of course you might be right, it's just a case of overprotective parents. Either way, you can't exclude them.

Bah.

Pack, if it's a parent's medical issue, yeh get another parent to be the lad's designated adult. Easy.

I wasn't talkin' about excludin' either parents or kids. I was talkin' about running the outing with whoever wants to come. Those folks that stayed air conditioned playin' video games get to hear how great an event it was from all the participants after it's over.

What shouldn't happen is "a few parents that are concerned about the heat index" causing the event to be canceled for everyone else.

Beavah

I gotta agree with B.

Kids are at Cub Scout Day Camp as we speak. Kids are going to Scout Camp as we speak.

Get the kids outdoors. Give them lots of cool gatorade and lemonade and water. Let them play with a hose.

After all, OUTING is the last six letters of SCOUTING!!

I have to laugh. Last year our pack started doing the Boy Scout promoted hikes to earn medals.Some we break into 2 parts .I don't think a single one was the temp less than 92.(if we cancelled we wouldn't have had ANY hikes all summer)

The one through Philly streets (about 6 miles) was over 100. We all had lots of water and took breaks and a very long lunch break too. It was in and out of buildings and sometimes we stayed inside a little longer. By the end we did get concerned for some cubs (and adults) and ended the hike about a stop or 2 short. I think everyone will remember that day and appreciate the medal all the more and no one suffered any ill consequences.

You have to be aware of the signs of heat stroke and make sure you cater activity accordingly but not be a hermit. Just like with any activity- in the winter, in the water, etc. I was moe concerned if it would thunderstorm.

BTY- forecast this weekend is 98 and we have a camping trip. I'm going to give them a talk about what to watch for and we have LOTS of water available. I'm very happy we didn't get the wide open field and are in the woods!!

Yawl just haven some fun with us right! Today it is over 90 with over 90% humidity next cool day we will see will be November. Summer camps have not started yet as kids just got out of school this week our troop is going the end of July. Week after next we will have over 100 for day camp we make em take a drink of water at each station and they all thrive on it. The idea is to have em tumble into bed exhausted when they get home isn't it?

Here's a good article I uncovered:

Heat Cramps, Heat Exhaustion, Heat Stroke- Summer Cautions

Just as winter can bring problems with frost bite and hypothermia, summer camping and activities can bring on heat related issues. Three of the major concerns are Heat Cramps, Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke. All are relate to heat and dehydration.

Heat Cramps- are strong muscle contractions and usually affect the abdomen and legs. Poor conditioning for the activity you are doing can exaggerate the problem. The condition usually improves with rest, water and cooler conditions.

Heat Exhaustion- is also caused by heat and dehydration but the effects are more serious than cramps. Symptoms may include paleness, dizziness or fainting, nausea or vomiting, and an increase in body temperature. Rest, water and cool compresses (ice water on the back of the neck, etc) can help. For more sever heat exhaustion, IV fluids may be required.

Heat Stroke- This is the most serious of the heat related conditions. While it most commonly is brought on by strenuous exercise in hot conditions, it can also affect non-active individuals if the temperature is high enough. In addition to a flushed, red look to the skin, the person often stops sweating. This is one of the key signs that an individual is in an over heated condition. A person with heat stroke might become, delirious, unconscious or have seizures. Lowering the body temperature and getting fluids into the person as quickly as possible is imperative.

Like most health conditions, the best idea is to prevent them. To prevent these heat related problems stay hydrated; dress in light colored clothes and dress in layers; be smart about your exercising; know and understand air quality warnings and heat index. The heat index is a rating based on temperature and humidity. Because higher humidity makes it more difficult for sweat to evaporate and cool your body, the heat index is very meaningful.

Heat problems are very sneaky- they creep up on you in stages so you dont notice you are in trouble until sometimes it is too late. At a first aid class I attended the instructor told us of a roofer in Texas who was working in mid- August. His supervisor was concerned about the man but couldnt get him to rest. He called for help. The man said his only symptom was that he couldnt work as well as he thought he should. When they began treating him, his temperature was 104. Thanks to immediate treatment, he was OK.

I have taught Scouts about the dangers heat can cause for a long time. I also enjoy running. One Sunday morning I decided to lengthen my run by about a mile and a quarter. Bad headwork. First, the morning was hot and humid. Second, the additional distance was about a 20% increase. As I passed the halfway point I remember feeling hotter than usual. I dont remember the last of a mile. When I got home and started my cool down walk, I realized I had a problem. Little light spots were floating all over and I was getting light headed. I got some fluids and cooled down, but it took more than two hours to get back to normal.

While youre on an outing, keep an eye on everyone. Even people who know better can get into heat trouble.