Safari Themed Skits/Songs

Our District is having a twighlight camp this summer and they are looking for some skits and songs.

If anyone has any skits or songs that would go great with a Scouts on Safari theme.

If you have it on your computer and can post it that would begreat, or if you have a link to a certain site could you post that.

Thanks in advance.

Sometimes you create a post and get floods of great ideas... and sometimes it takes a while for responses. I always like the floods.

I haven't been in the Pack to experience a Safari theme, yet. I did find an old Pow-Wow with a safari theme. It has a few safari songs:

http://macscouter.com/CubScouts/CircleTen_1998/cubmar.pdf

Not very many safari songs out there, that I could find.

rjscout

I can see what you are talking about with the floods or drought. Looks like there has been a drought at the board today.

For those of you who sent the suggestions, they are pretty good. If someone could give me a link to the old program helps that they might know about, it would be great.

Thanks again

Did you consider Eengonyama?

It is the only song any of the boys remembered singing at the very first Scout campfire on Brownsea Island in 1907.

Eengonyama is both a song and a serious skit. It is very dramatic when performed around a campfire with Scout Staves.

Here is Baden-Powell's description of the "safari" part:

Then they recommence the Eengonyama chorus, and another Scout steps into the ring, and describes in dumb show how he stalked and lolled a wild buffalo. While he does the creeping up and stalking of the animal, the Scouts all crouch and sing their chorus very softly, and as he gets close to the beast, they simultaneously spring up and dance and shout the chorus loudly. When he has slain the beast, the leader again gives the "Be Prepared" chorus in his honor, which is repeated three times, the Scouts banging their staffs on the ground at the same time as they stamp "Bom! bom!" At the end of the third repetition, "Bom! bom!" is given twice.

See:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/campfire/songs/war_songs.htm

It is written for older Scouts, but could work for Cubs if some of the adults practiced first and participated.

The page plays the Eengonyama tune when it is opened. We could use sound files of the "Be Prepared" chorus (The Scout's Rally) and the Scout's Call if any musician is willing to contribute them to "help other people at all times!" Send me a "Private Message" (one of the green hyperlinks on the left side of this screen) if you can help out.

Kudu

A wild African Duck??

Waddles into the local Wawa (711??)

The Duck makes a lot of noise -Quacking (Quack, quack, quack)

The salesperson asks how may I help you?

The Duck after a few more quacks asks for a pound of African grapes.

The salesperson very politely explains that they don't sell African grapes.

The Duck exits, making lots of quacking sounds.

The Duck returns (Lots more quacks!)

Again he asks for a pound of African grapes.

Again the salesperson explains that the don't sell African grapes

The Duck exits. (Yes more quacks)

This happens three or four more times.

The salesperson becomes more annoyed each time.

Until he has had it!!

He finally informs the Duck, that he has had it and they DON'T SELL AFRICAN GRAPES and furthermore if he returns he is going to get some nails and nail the Ducks feet to the floor!!

The Duck leaves (Lots of quacks!!)

Duck returns (MORE QUACKS)

Before the African Duck can say a word the salesperson tells him that he is fed up, that they don't sell African grapes they never have and never will sell African grapes.

The Duck quacks and asks for..

A pound of nails please!!

Eamonn

The Polynesian Duck Dance

Away Nakka Nakka nay,(With hands joined in front keep a beat to each word!!)

Away Nakka Nakka nay,

Etok, Etok, Etok (Repeat with hands under chin keeping a beat, once to the right and then once to the left)

(Repeat verse)

Quack, Quack, Quack (while hopping to the right)

Quack, Quack, Quack (while hopping to the left)

This is done 3 times, gradually getting faster with each repeat. On the final yell swoosh and fall to the ground.

Eamonn

(I know this is The Polynesian Duck Dance!! But it could be the anything you like Duck Dance!!)

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is a hit to bring this back up but I am hoping that some others out there will have some more information on this topic to help us with this theme. we will be having a meeting next week and I am just looking for some more help.

If you have any ideas for this theme let me know.

Game: Cats eyes

Kind of a orienteering game with out the compass and map.

Cub (or den) starts out at a given point with a flashlight looking for the cats eye ( a reflective pair of dots off in the distance but with in direct line of sight of starting point). Upon finding it they advance to the next point and look for the next set of eyes...

Could be combined with:

questions posted at each set of eyes.

Animal Tracks