Making a Case for a School to Have a Pack of Its Own

Making a Case for a School to Have a Pack of Its Own

The Background:

I'm trying to make a case for our school to have a pack of its own. Our school has had a pack since the 1940s, and it was pretty strong in the past, but over the last few years weak leadership has provided an opportunity for a neighboring pack to recruit quite successfully. Now the neighboring pack is huge, and the pack traditionally associated with our school is hanging on by the skin of its teeth. We did manage to recharter again, but don't have enough people to offer a really good program. We recruited a few boys in the fall, but most of them have dropped out or gone to the Big Pack down the road. As soon as the parents realized that if they wanted a good program they would have to step forward and take an active role, they ran for the exits. This puts the small pack in a death spiral. I spoke with some parents who went to the big pack, and they think that the big pack is too big, but they looked into the small pack, and decided it was too small. To become self-sustaining it needs to get big enough to appear desirable.

What were trying to do:

If this pack is going to continue, somehow we need to find some families who are interested in Cub Scouts, and also have an interest in our school having its own pack, and ideally would be willing to put a minimal amount of effort into trying to make it a success. I suppose this is similar to trying to start a new pack from scratch.

At the beginning of he school year, I tried telephoning the families in the school with Tiger or Wolf age boys, but with little success. Does anyone have any ideas on how to interest these families in Cub Scouting, and to persuade them that if they do decide to join Cub Scouts, they should support the school's own pack? When telephoning, I am lucky to eventually reach about 20% of the families I call. Does anyone have any ideas on how to leave a message that gets called back? I also tried mailing letters addressed to the boys, but didn't get any response. The District Exec. has helped distribute flyers, but the response has been sparse. There are still a lot of boys who are not in Cubs, but how can I reach them and persuade them to try it? Unfortunately, the easy recruits are already in the Big Pack. We probably also need to start working on next years Tigers now, but it would be nice to get some 1st and 2nd graders (and maybe 3rd and 4th) to help fill out the dens we have started.

>Who is the Chartering Organization?

The Church where we meet. They are hands-off, have an aging congregation and an indifferent Chartered Org. Rep. They also charter a Boy Scout Troop, which has also been shrinking, in part because we havent had Webelos IIs for them to recruit.

>Why do you believe families left one pack for the other? What is it doing better than the pack you are trying to save?

They have the resources to do almost everything better. They can certainly put on some big splashy events that we wouldnt consider. They have a better den program with a den leader for every den; we have to have combined dens. But the biggest reason is that the boys want to be with more boys, a den of 15 to 20 is more fun than a den of 3or 4. Also, the parents know that they can just drop off their boys and not be asked to take on a leadership position.

The Small Packs program is pretty basic, but the boys who show up at meetings and outings have a good time. The Big Packs program has its flaws too, but they arent very obvious, and its size is getting awkward.

It would be nice if the small pack could make its program more exciting than the big pack's, and create a draw, but I don't know how to do it with our limited leadership.

So if the Charter Organization that owns the pack doesn't care if it has a pack, and doesn't support the pack, then why do you want to draw more scouts to it?

If you were selected as the captain on someone else's boat (and it was in in distress) should you be looking to first repair the ship, or trying to get more passengers aboard? Or maybe its time to look for a job on a boat with a better owner? :)

Yah, DenZero. I've seen these situations before. Often times one particularly dynamic Cubmaster or Scoutmaster can build a big program like this, and suck the life out of smaller units in da area.

It can be really rough on your DE and district folks, 'cause usually when da Cubmaster or the core dynamic group leaves, the pack collapses back down to more ordinary numbers. Except the other packs aren't around anymore, so da total cub membership suffers a net decline until some units can be re-started.

I'd encourage you to have a conversation with the other pack and see if they can't help you with resources and perhaps some joint activities. That can be da best of both worlds, eh? A smaller, more personal pack with some shared "big" stuff, and perhaps some help with recruitin'.

Other than that, it's sorta pluggin' along. Yeh can borrow a page from Kudu's book, and ask the teachers who the more involved parents are - go after them and their kids specifically, and they'll draw others. PTO's can be great places to be involved, because there tend to be parent cliques/groups there, and if yeh pull one in yeh tend to get the whole clique.

Since you're in a public school, your CO relationship is pretty ordinary, eh? Dat's all Dale decision fallout, unfortunately. Movin' charters to nearby churches while keepin' the pack at the school. But I'd sure be havin' a chat with the youth minister for elementary kids (Sunday School?) at the church to see if yeh can build some connections and recruits.

Beavah

Thanks, Beavah.

To do some joint events with the nearby pack we need to get over the rivalry resulting from many years of competitive recruiting. 10-15 years ago the small pack was larger than the big pack, and the big pack, though probably not deliberately trying to eliminate the small pack, has worked very hard to expand its recruiting territory.

The PTA at our school is not cooperative, stating that they don't want to open up their events to outside organizations. Though this could be influenced by the top PTA leaders having boys in the large pack. I'll have to infiltrate the PTA from the bottom, starting with the room mothers in the lower grades.

The Troop was chartered at the school in the 1920s, and the pack followed later. I think they have been chartered at the church since the 1950s. The previous Chartered Org. Rep. had a keen interest in Scouting, and was quite supportive, but he moved away a couple years ago, and I think they had to find a replacement in a pinch at recharter time a year ago. Unfortunately the church has recruiting problems as well, and has very few families with school-age children; mostly their grandparents.

I had a talk with the district exec. and unit commissioner, and they are trying to help with recruiting and trying to find someone who can help boost the program until we can be self sustaining again, but I'm not holding my breath.

In hindsight, I wish I had known enough about how a pack is supposed to be run 2 years ago, when things appeared to be going well, and the cubmaster began having trouble doing his duties. Instead of finding someone to take over, people just left when they got frustrated with him. If someone had asked me, I suppose I would have stepped up then to at least be assistant, and fill in the gaps. By the time 2/3 of the families had left, it was too late.

You currently have an uninvolved CO. The PTA at the school is run by parents from the other Pack, so the odds of getting the PTA to take the charter from the church are slim to none. The parents you do have in the Pack want nothing to do with helping the Pack in any capacity. Because of the lack of leadership, training, and the small number of boys, you have only 1 monthly group meeting with the boys all doing crafts and misc activities, and the BSA Cub Scout program is virtually nonexistent.

This is babysitting, not Cub Scouting. Your own sons are registered members of the "large" Pack, and only attend the "small" Pack because you are there.

Unless the Pack can get a CO that actually wants them, parents and boys that actually want to be there and work for the Pack, and the Pack starts providing the boys they have with a good Cub Scout program, nothing you try will work.

The Scout unit belongs to the charter organziation not the the unit volunteer, if the School or PTO does not want a unit no one should be forcing one to exist there.

You cannot recruit kids in hopes of improving the program,. You first need to improve your program, then kids will want to join and stay.

The approach you are taking is backwards and likely most likely fail. Save your energy for a charter organization that wants a Scouting program.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Despite what you read in old postings, the program this year is much better than last year. Despite the low numbers, it's not that much worse than the average pack, we are trying to Do Our Best.

Still you are probably right, it's hard to buck progress. 40 years ago there were 4 packs in our area, now there are 2, before long there will be 1. It's probably time I give up and stop wasting my time.

DenZero,

I strongly disagree with your statement "It's probably time I give up and stop wasting my time"

As you noted " the program this year is much better than last year. Despite the low numbers, it's not that much worse than the average pack, we are trying to Do Our Best"

Just keep doing what you are doing and build the most fun Cub Scout Pack in town and "they will come".

As long as you have enough members to re-charter don't worry about the rest. Trust me I have been on both sides of this issue and there is nothing wrong with having a small yet well run pack. I was the Cubmaster of the local Mega pack for several years before crossing over and taking over as SM for a small troop.

Long, story short our Troop's CO wanted to add the Cub Scout program last year and so off we went. I am helping the new Pack leader's get organized, trained and have even taken on the role of Webelos Den leader.

I am having more fun with this new pack then I ever did at the mega pack!!!

Quality verses Quanity??

You keep your head up and keep doing what you are doing for your Scout's and remember to have fun!!!

With regard to the aging and indifferent CO, been there done that. But sometimes the CO merely needs more information or perhaps some PR to get them to recognize the importance of their role. If they really ARE indifferent, then that is a problem.

But BW said the thing I think is most important: "You cannot recruit kids in hopes of improving the program,. You first need to improve your program, then kids will want to join and stay."

When I was confronted with a situation similar to yours, I had to pay attention to every aspect; PR, the CO, recruiting, etc. But I also knew that IF those things worked, they could be completely undone by a deficient program. It worked for me. I wish you the best of success as well.