Free lodging for Scout trips

I have been asked to do the itinerary for a trip from North Carolina to Ely, MN, finding free places to stay overnight. Usually our troop finds military bases, national guard armories or church fellowship halls to stay in. It occurred to me that it would be wonderful if there was a database or bulletin board for troops looking for places to stay. For instance, we're looking at stopovers in or near Dayton, OH, Chicago, Minneapolis and Duluth. What would be ideal would be a site where a troop could post their stopover locations and then hear from troops willing to help out. Is there such an online bulletin board or Web site that peforms this function?

I don't think such a service exists so it's just going to be legwork to get it done.

I do know that in North Chicago there is the Great Lakes Naval Training base (Exact correct title uncertain but I lived there when I was little) that you could contact either the base or the troop they charter.

Not to mention the fine Scouters present here who are more than willing to help.

Right gang?

If y'all were going to seabase then you'd have north florida covered.

In Dayton, check with Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. If you have time, the US Air Force Museum is there, which we have visited twice with our scouts and they love it. About 500 planes on display, with everyting from the Wright Brothers to space capsules.

Great Lakes might be a problem, as they are the only Naval Basic Training Base in use now, and are super busy. Last year they put a hold on all weekend tours because of this.

I know you will love the Boundary Waters. I've been there a half a dozen times or so.

Rivlax,

Please let me know if you find any such lodging. We will be heading to Ely in 2003 and will be driving it in two days (from Northeastern Ohio).

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

To those of you heading toward Ely from the east, you wouldn't end up going through Minneapolis. Coming from Chicago, you'd take I-90 to Rockford, IL, then follow it through Madison, WI, continuing to Eau Claire, WI, then turning north on US Highway 53, a very nice four-lane, 65 mph highway all the way through Superior, WI and Duluth, MN to Virginia, MN. Sommers National High Adventure base is about three hours from Duluth.

As for a place to stay, Ft. McCoy Army Base is located between Tomah and Sparta, WI, maybe an hour and a half from Eau Claire. It's about ten minutes off the interstate at Tomah. They allow Scout groups to stay in the barracks and you can eat in the dining hall - all for a very, very low cost per person (maybe a couple bucks each).

I'm sorry I don't have the phone number, but you can call information. I believe it's a Sparta exchange in the (608) area code. Good luck!

You can save yourself the call to Ft. McCoy. They do not allow Scouts after September 11 due to the greater number of reserves training there. My troop's bike trip, which normally stayed there, is now in the cabins at Camp Decorah near La Crosse.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the posters mentioned staying in barracks -- great, if you can get it. Our troop in Texas usually stays in a gym on Air Force bases in San Antonio and Wichita Falls. Most bases have multiple gyms and one closes early enough for us to use. Have to keep the kids off of the equipment, but the basketball courts are always available for burning off energy after a day in the car/bus. In addition to cheap chow, we've been able to take in a movie and use the recreation center.

By the way, we have stayed on bases since Sept 11. Don't forget to bring a nice gift for the sponsor you'll be assigned. And definitely don't forget to write a thank you note to the Base Commander. If you can spare the time, most bases will take you on a tour -- the boys will love it -- especially if they get to see some military aircraft up close.

• 1 month later...

hello. All military services have a regulation requiring coooperation with scouts. But it is subject to availablity and mission priorities. Therefore, many bases are now closed or limited either due to security, or due to crowding with called up reserves.

[by the way, if you know someone on active duty, he or she can get TDY orders cut to attend scout activities, like a summer camp or jamboree, if they are a regular leaders in the unit. The time is not charged to leave.]

However, we have never been turned away from a national guard armory. Facilities vary. Some have bunk rooms. Others do not, but you can sleep on a floor in a class room. Some have kitchens, some do not want you to use the kitchen (negotiate! they're worried about cleaning).

To locate one, determine the state you will be traveling through. Call the Adjutant General of that state (blue goverment pages in phone book, or call information, state goverment listing). Call that number and ask where the armories or offices are in that state. Then call the armory itself and talk with the folks there.

In the NG, there is usually at least one full time NCO who works at the armory bldg. There will also be one or more commanders of the unit(s) stationed at that facility.

good luck, YIS, jim (MAJ, ret. USAR)(This message has been edited by denver4und@aol.com)

An update: I'm the one who started this topic and really appreciate all the tips and the input. Our troop has returned and, as one poster predicted, they definitely enjoyed canoeing in Quetico Provincial Park. We ended up staying in some great state parks in Ohio (Mt. Gilead), Michigan (Straits, Island Lake) and Wisconsin (Copper Falls). They were cheap (average was $1 per person per night) and the staffs were extremely helpful in getting us in on short notice. (http://rhslacrosse.com/troop440)