Cub Scout Round-up

I didn't go for round-up traing yet, but I wanted to get some ideas for a theme. Now I was going to use September theme cowboys. But due the our pack location the CC & CM feels that theme probably won't play well with our demographics. I don't see the issue but I am the DL so I need to create another event/theme for the night.

I am hoping you all can help me with this.

THANKS!

Chris

The National BSA has a tie in for fall recruiting with General Motors. The theme is "The Race to Cub Scouting" and this will be promoted by General Motors in it's advertizing this fall.

I just conducted training for our district Cub Scout units in fall recruiting using the "Race to Cub Scouting" theme, which included decorating the meeting room with racing type finish flags and checkered table clothes and such.

Perhaps that wouled work for you.

Seattle Pioneer

Is this a separate night set aside for recuitment, or will this be a part of your Sept. Pack meeting?

Are you in charge of recruitment in you Pack? Will you be the one running the round-up?

If you go with the national theme of "Race to Cub Scouting - Fun at Every Turn" you could bring out your Pinewood track, some old cars (or purchase some kits & let the boys color the blocks of wood) & let the boys have a sample race. You could have the boys make individual cars out of cardboard boxes & run a Cubanapolis.

If you do the Western Round-up theme you could go with rope making & tossing. Leatherwork is always fun for boys. They love the idea of hitting things with hammers! You could make "ponies" from mops & have a race.

You could also go with the 75th Anniversary theme. 2005 is not over until December & you still have time to earn your Anniversary badges. Have a marbles tournament. Learn yo-yo tricks. Eat twinkies!

In our pack beside myself there is only a CC and a CM. The CM and myself run the show. It was crazy last year, so this year focus is the parents. They need to step up and help. But I will be running the round up for our pack. Later this month our district is haveing a training class for coordiaters. I will be attending that. But I would like to have an idea of what theme I want to show the new boys.

YiS,

Chris

For our Sept open house/pack meeting we are doing a "wheels rally". The boys can bring their bikes or scooters and the activities will focus primarily on traffic safety. We've also thought about having a police officer/deputy in to reiterate the rules of the road.

cmarrero,

No, no no (shaking head sadly). The parents don't need 'to step up and help'.

They need to be made aware of their already existing obligations and how they can help the pack with their special skills and interests! This is a positive, good, and FUN thing! (OK, it is a transparent ploy, but often a subtle change of mindset really helps!)

Make sure you sign up FAMILIES, not 'Cubs'. Make sure each family knows the Law of the Pack- 'The Pack helps the Cubs Scout grow', and that they have a role in this that you will be happy to discuss with them at their convenience. "Oh, and be sure to fill this survey out- thanks! Oh, please just fill it out here. I appreciate that!"

At our recent training session for Cub Scout Fall recruiting, we aimed to recognize the challenges that faced shorthanded pack leadership in doing recruiting.

To put a 90 minute program in a few paragraphs, the suggestions were:

1) Pick out the date for you Scout nights NOW. A day or days in the third or fourth week of September is usually best. Pick the dates, order your materials and get started with your recruiting plan now.

2) You can't do everything, so don't try. Don't try to get a regular Pack and Den program started right away.

3) Perhaps begin with a Pack meeting the 2nd or 3rd week of school. Use this as an opportunity to get parents to assist you with the Scout night and to get Cub Scouts and parents involved in promoting your Scout night by inviting families with Cub Scout age children to attend the Scout night.

4) Use six or more different methods to promote your Scout night, such as 1) Cub Scouts inviting their friends, 2) Parents inviting families 3) flyers sent home by schools 4) visiting Church Sunday Schools to invite boys 5) asking religious leaders to promote your Scout night in Church 6) wwith a flyer in the church bulletin 7) yardsigns around the entrance to the location of your Scout Night

5) Don't spend a lot of time explaining the Cub Scout program at your Scout Night, and don't use Pack or Den Meetings as a Scout night. Keep it simple --- most parents want to sign up, pay their money and get home to watch "Friends" or whatever.

6) Do have an excellent program to invite the parents and new Cub Scouts to the next week. Since you wont have a Pack or Den meeting that week, your can bring your best leaders in and create a knock-your-socks off program that will wow the boys and their parents.

Consider putting on a "Bobcat University" to introduce the boys to Cub Scouting and MAKE IT FUN!

7) The next week is your first big Pack meeting. The new Cub Scouts get introduced to the Pack and any who have completed their Bobcat award get recognition along with their parents, "graduating" from Bobcat University and receiving their Bobcat award.

8) The next weekend you redeem the promise of Cub Scouting and go hiking or do a day camp, doing several different outdoor activities. Parents of boys who turn out for this event can be hit up for leadership positions during the course of the day.

9) It can take some time to get your Den program going and up to speed. You don't need to have Den meetings every week. Have one excellent one once/month if that's what you can do, and work up to more as Den Leaders get the idea.

This is a canned program that allows those with limited support to concentrate scarce leadership resources where they are needed the most. Pick and choose ideas as you wish if you find some that will help you.

Seattle Pioneer

District Membership Chair