It's Official - EVERYONEs Shirts should be tucked in !!

I sent an email to National Headquarters regarding this policy (or lack there of and this is their response)

"On page 1 of the Insignia Guide 2005, it says under Official Policy, The leaders of Scouting both volunteer and professional promote the wearing of the correct complete uniform on all suitable occasions. On the same page, under Official Uniforms, it also says (and this is an excerpt form BSA Rules and Regulations, Clause 2), The official uniforms authorized as evidence of official relationship to the Boy Scouts of America shall be those approved by action of the Executive Board of the Boy scouts of America from time to time, as illustrated and correctly described in the handbooks, catalogs, and other official publications of the Boy Scouts of America.

Both the Female Leader Uniform Inspection sheet, No. 34281, and the 2005 Boy Scouts of America Official Retail Catalog show female leaders in uniform, and in every case they have their shirt tails tucked in. So, as it says in Clause 2 above, that makes it official. "

Look at the photos... That is the Official way everything should be worn!

"as illustrated and correctly described in the handbooks, catalogs, and other official publications of the Boy Scouts of America."

Soooo, anything we see illustrated (including photos?) in Boys'Life or Scouting magazines can be assumed to be acceptable?

I sent your email off to the responder.. and this is what she says:

OK, now youre out of what I can really help with.

When it comes down to it, nowhere do we tell individuals how to put on their pants, their socks, tie their shoes, etc.

It is ultimately up to the unit leadership as to how they are going to enforce it.

I'll be interested to read the resolution to this. There are a couple of leaders I know who don't tuck in their shirt tails, and when they stoop or bend over to do something...welll. Has anyone heard that America has a growing crack problem? :)

My response was tongue in cheek, in case it wasn't clear. This is one of my pet peeves...we do our darnedest to train Leaders and encourage parents to buy the complete uniform and wear it properly, then they see what's in Boys' Life. I don't think anyone should get their picture in a BSA publication unless they are properly and completely uniformed.

I guess one of my pet peeves is: why is it that everyone knows that official policy regarding uniforming can be found in the Leader Handbook, Uniform & Insignia Guide, and Inspection Sheet, but as soon as we find one photo of a mis-dressed Scout in BL, we decide to follow the example of photo rather than official policy?

Just more proof that anyone who wants an excuse to bend the rules will find that excuse. That's why I'm not a uniform cop, even though I am a UC.

Well fgoodwin, NO ONE knows where to find the policy.. CAUSE IT ISNT written anywhere! The email request I sent was forwarded many times and was finally answered.. basically sayin.. Look at the photos those are the official way to wear the uniform..

Everyone is a volunteer.. heaven forbid we asked them to wear the uniform to be a leader and then correct them... how can we realizsticly expect the boys to wear the uniform correctly if the leadership is setting a horrible example? we can not.. we lead by example....

Julie

COR/

Julie, I understand your plight; all I'm saying is that we have official documentation in the form of uniform inspection sheets, leader handbooks, the uniform & insignia guide, etc. all of which provides official guidance on the proper wear of the uniform.

Then all of a sudden someone will see a picture of a improperly uniformed Scout or Scoueter in Boys Life and take that as some kind of official sanction of improper wear, as if one photo on BL somehow trumps all of the other official sources we have to the contrary.

My point being that those who want an excuse to bend the rules will find that excuse, regardless of the fact that we have so much official policy readily available to those who will simply seek it out and read it.

You now have an official answer to your specific question, but I doubt if it will stop female leaders from wearing their shirts out. The fact is, there are many overweight male leaders also (I count myself among them), and we don't go around hemming our shirts so we can wear them out. Thanx to your efforts, we now know that women cannot use that excuse either, but we all know they will continue to do so, despite the official guidance to the contrary.

As I said in a different thread, I don't plan to go around correcting the way others wear their uniforms -- I will only do my best to wear my own uniform correctly and thereby try to set an example.

How others choose to wear their uniform is up to them.

Fred G., UC

Alamo Area Council

Thanks Fred!

We all know the rules, we ourselves choose to follow or not... Even at our district dinner the other night there was 1 with her shirt out.. no one corrected her, but I overheard the conversation... "we are all volunteers"... that is also what I heard...

I was just happy that I KNOW the rules, and that I even with my belly wear my uniform within regulation... :)

thanks again for your assistance and 2 cents. I have learned alot on this forum.

Julie

Untucked shirts.... my number 1 pet peeve...

I make that correction all the time, wheather it is BSA policy or not, it is just good order.

Presenting a neat appearance in a Scout Shirt that is untucked in impossible.

SAYS ME!

Jerry

We have written column after column about Scout leaders and Scouts having a duty to God. Very little has been written about the expectation of being physically fit. Maybe some need to have their tail in a crack over this issue also.

FB

I'm sorry to say that I will still wear my uniform blouse outside, it really looks better on me like this. I'm not trying to be a rebel, but the last time I wore any blouse tucked in was about 12 years ago! I do have a weight problem & try to hide my fat but I also have a female medical problem (no I'm not pregnant!) and when I can find a job again & have medical insurance, I can go back to the doctor & possibly have surgery. If I wore my uniform blouse tucked in I would really look horrible & probably be asked too many questions!

Judy