another advancement question.

Can we allow boys a couple weeks after school is out to finish their rank requirements? We have a Bear in ou Pack that I would like to work with but I won't get a chance untill after school is officially out. He isn't in my den, but he is a good boy and I would like to help hem.

You will probably get all kinds of answers quoting various policies. I have always felt you should take it on a case by case basis. Giving the boy a couple of extra weeks of help to earn his badge shouldn't get anybodys undies in a bunch, but you would be surprised about the flak some people will give you. When all is said and done, if you think it will help the boy, and he will appreciate it, go for it.

What about the scout, his parents and his Den Leader? Those are the ones who should be working on completing the Bear rank requirements.

If the boy & his parents decide to let you work with him during the summer on his Bear rank you should keep in mind 2 things -

1) All Youth Protection rules MUST be followed at each meeting.

2) He CANNOT work on any Webelos activites as long as he is still working on the Bear program.

Yes, I believe you can do that. The following is from the Cub Scout Leader Handbook, 2001 edition, page 18-3, under the heading "How Fast Should A Boy Advance?":

Generally speaking, a boy should advance one rank per year. The important thing is to see that earns the rank for his grade (or age). If necessary, allow the boy an extra month or two to earn the badge.

Is the family involved?  I know that many boys would not advance without den leaders' help, but right above the pace of advancement two things are noted:

Advancement always emphasizes doing, not getting.  The experience the boy has as he works on the requirements is more important than the badge itself.

And...

The advancement program, when implemented correctly, will...Bring a boy and his family closer through the advancement activities that family members enjoy together.

I wonder if you would have the opportunity to encourage the parents to become more involved?  This was something that I worked hard at as CM, and most parents responded and became more involved to some degree, but there were those who never did a thing but had sons who wanted so badly to earn those badges.  Hope the above helps.

I found with my son's bear den (we were in a different pack) that with notes and chats, I could get the parents involved. But with this Pack, it has been hard to get parents involved. I, as Webelos leader, have been able to get parents to help their boys a little. This boy has scouts taken away from him for things that happen at school. I worked with him at the end of last year to help him finish his Wolf rank.

It is my hope to inspire this boy to work. When my Webelos are working on something that will work with his requirements, I invite hime to join us. He is the only active Bear in out Pack.

Thanks for the input.

The biggest practical drawback is evident in your post. If he had started the Bear stuff rather than finishing the Wolf stuff, perhaps he would be caught up now. You have to take them all case by case, but since he will be going into Webelos, I would suggest that he use the summer months to work on Webelos Activity Badges.

I spoke to the Bear leader. She is going to work with my Webelos den on communicator so I can work with her Bear on some of the skills that she isn't as comfortable with.

SP, thanks for the kind words. There are only 9 boys in our Pack (since my son crossed over and I try to encourage all of them. I figured my son could help a little too because this boy looks up to him somewhat.

Thanks again everyone, I think this boy will finish his rank withing a couple of weeks of school being out. Then he can start doing things with the 2nd year Webelos. I will have an assistant leader next year to help though.