When a scout has filled the front of the sash, do you start on the back. I have seen several options: I have seen a boy around district that wears two sashes "bandito" style, criscrossed in front. I have seen one sash worn and one hung from the belt. I have seen badges up the back, but some say the back is only for patches from activities or camps. In Girl Scouts we use the back for patches but also if needed run badges up the back.

I would rather use the back than use two sashes.

Yarrow;

My insignia guide is up in the Scout Hut, so I'm going off my memory...Bob White's is much better, I hope he's reading this, too.

As I recall, when the front of the sash is full, start using the back. A Scout may only wear one sash at a time, and it may not be hung from the belt.

I'm assuming that the Scout in question already has the large sash (more room for badges in the front). If he doesn't, and I admit it would be a seamstresses nightmare, swap the small one for a large one and buy some time.

BTW, most Boy Scouts I know don't want to put any activity patches on the back of their sash -- looks too much like GS...

KoreaScouter is correct. Only one merit badge sash may be worn, and it is not to be hung from the belt. If the front is full, go to the back. Most scouts in our area use the back of the sash for various special awards or activity patches. These latter items are referred to as "temporary insignia" in the Insignia Guide. These are such things as summer camp patches, high adventure patches, etc. There is only one spot on the uniform short for temporary insignia and that is the right breast pocket. Putting such patches on the back of the sash is purely optional.

According to the Insignia Guide, up to six merit badges may be worn on the right sleeve of the long sleeved shirt, above the cuff. The sash may have an unlimited number of merit badges. There is no prohibition against wearing merit badges on the sleeve and the sash at the same time.

Tim

Sorry about all the bold print that was an accident, I forgot to include the off switch.

I understand what you are saying but, a Court of Honor is not an OA activity and so it is not an appropriate time to wear the OA sash. it says so in the OA handbook. If you are doing the "call out" (tap outs have not been permitted for many years) then you should remove the merit badge sash and set it aside while you wear the OA sash. I would hate to see OA members setting a bad example for the younger scouts by wearing an improper uniform.

The Boy Scout Insignaia guide says the merit badge sash is NEVER worn on the belt.

Bob(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Thanks all, I came to the right place. My boy has been wearing his sash on his belt a lot because most of the older scouts do. Also the full sash display looked showy, he earns the badges for himself not for too much show. Ok, he won't wear it on the belt from now on, arrgh. I know he can fit 60 badges on the front so I will run them up the back. I bought the long sash on the recommendation of the shopkeep at the scout shop, so it will work. Many of our boys wear their OA sashes to meetings. Not kosher, huh?

I have no problem with the boys putting special patches on the back. Hope that wasn't another GS slam.

They should only wear their OA sashes to troop meetings if they are to be recognised as OA members. For example conducting an OA unit election or making a presentation like a camping promotion or a pitch for a Camporee that the OA is hosting.

Otherwise that's what the lodge flap or OA ribbon dangle is for, recognising OA members.