High Adventure Training for Adult Leaders

HI guys, This is a bit off the original subject, but I thought I would like to ask if there would be interest in a program to train adult leaders in running high adventure trips such as climbing, mountaineering, white water canoeing and rafting, and maybe even backpacking?

JB

From my experience the number of folks who are keenly interested in such training are too few in numbers to support these programs (at our last Council's High Adventure training, there were only 3 sign ups).

The three problem seems to be; first, finding Scouters who can take the time off for training which can be exstensive for certain activities.

Second, finding folks who are expert in these fields who can teach it.

Third, BSA is way behind the curve in High Adventure Trek Leader developement having few guide lines or standards. The Guide to Safe Scouting is lacking when it comes to High Adventure, most of us tend to borrow standards from other organizations to run and keep our summer High Adventure programs safe (NOLS, BOSS, OARS,American Red Cross, etc.)

Additionally, National would also have to look at legal protection and insurance for BSA trek leaders in today's world as these activies have higher risk elements than the standard scouting fare.

However, I've got my fingers crossed that the Venture program will eventually start creating a demand for leaders who are trained for these programs.

I agree with le Voyageur completely.

Only recently have I received any real interest in our adults even attending the high adventure trips other than the ones who already enjoy those activities outside of scouting.

But yes I would be interested in such a class. Heck I'd be willing to teach it. Don't know if I'm a expert but I've done a lot of backpacking, that's got to count for something.

I've been trying to take some NOLS (national outdoor leadership school) classes for some time now. The big problem for me is cost not time.

Right now I'm trying to get my adults to take a WFA (Wilderness First Aid) class. Luckily I've gotten a bunch interested and even some of the older Scouts signed up. A class such as that is a great start in high adventure training.

(This message has been edited by Mike Long)

Le Voyager may be right. During the Fall and Spring I am in OK where no one cares!

However, during the summer I work for an outfitter who might be convenced to offer an intensive short course in an outdoor technical subject. I could ask about special prices for scouters. They might come up with a "certification" as well, though these seem to be based on the reputation of the company (like NOLS) or those who follow some set of guidelines established by a governing body. I do know that AMGA has a "certified" top rope class which a friend took. As for rafting, I don't think there is anyone who certifies, though ACA does canoe and maybe kayak instructors. One useful thing to have would be WFA or WFR though.

OR an alternative would be Mike's idea of setting one up ourselves on a given subject or set of them. I am good at mountaineering and rafting, and OK in climbing (especially top roped), but am shaky in canoeing and kayaking. I havn't backpacked in about 7 years and don't even know what the current equipment is like. We could talk about planning around problems for one.

Any ideas?

JB

These are the subjects that I think would produce a fairly knowledgeable trek leader that a parent would feel safe in having their scout with....

- WFR (mimimum)

- layering systems

- pack packing

- LNT

- campsite selection

- sanitation/hygene

- stove use and care

- staying warm and dry

- basic cooking/baking

- nutrition

- water borne diseases

- fire building

- bear/mountain lion habitat precautions

- trail technique

- land navigation

- GPS

- hazard evaluation

- wilderness risk management

- time control plans

- river crossing

- pullies and hauling systems

- climbing knots

- morse code

- outdoor leadership and judgment

- expedition behavior

- expedition planning

- wilderness emergency procedures

- additional medical training in HAB,

HAPE, HACE, and gender medical

problems

- technical terrain

- specilized equipment (ice axe,

crampons, etc.)

- alvalanche awarness/basic shovel test

- constellations and useful astronomy

- meteorology and lighting

- improvised litters

- helicopter operations

For treks involving water travel

- BSA, or ARC, or YMCA lifeguarding

- ACA canoeing certification

- basic swift water rescue training

- hand, whistle, paddle signals

- self rescue training

- river dynamics

- emergency repairs

- portage techniques

- weathervaning and trimming techniques

any others.....????

Actually that is an extremely extensive list that would be IMHO pretty close to entry level professional skills. Actually I know some professional guides that don't have all of that. (Scary huh?)That isn't an argument against it though. I'm all for it. I think it would be great to have classes that offer all of that readily available to Scouters.

I think the WFR would probably knock out most Scouters though. Right now that (WFR) is my long term goal.

So le Voyageur, what credentials do you hold and where did you aquire them? Timeframe? You mentioned that your council offers HA training, what does it cover and how long is the session?

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but our concil runs a pretty good high adventure training program. The curricula include "Basic Backpack Awareness", "Paddle Sports Awareness", and OKPIK (cold weather camping). Don't ask me what the acronymn OKPIK stands for.

I went throught the classroom portion of the backpack training, and I would have to say it was the best single BSA training program I have gone through. I had the flu the weekend of the field portion. I also took the paddle sports training. Both of these were very good.

The printed syllabus for the backpack training bore the imprimatur of the BSA Western Region, headquartered in San Diego, so there is some level of thinking about this problem at that level.

If anyone is interested I would be willing to make copies and ship these syllabi to you at your cost. Send an email to drtaxes@aol.com

Yes, the list is extensive, but I hope that it will give a few folks some ideals for creating training modules which could handle their local needs, and, or interest. As it stands that list in it's entire would take nearly two years to complete. However, if I was to develop a H.A. Trek leader course, the focus would be on leadership development and risk management first, then slowly building needed skills overtime. The immediate short term goal being to get the new trek leader out, and developing hands on experiences in the field as fast as possible. The book work and classroom stuff can only take you so far.

Currently, our Council has elected not to conduct H.A. training for whatever the reason (they seem to be leaning more toward fund raisers than programs). But the Council that I will be working at this summer certifies their own raft guides.

For myself,my credentials are EMT-B/WEMT, C.O.P.E, Climbing, ARC Mass Care, ARC Lifeguarding, ARC Disaster Services, ARC Damage Assestment, NOLS Wilderness Educator, ACA Whitewater Instructor, AHA CPR plus De Fib.

Past training includes USN Aircrewman, SERE's School, and USMC Basic Infantryman.

Major wilderness forays includes two climbs on El Cap (Salathe's route), a solo trek across Kenya following the equator as near as possible, one failed attempt to summit Mt. Logan in Canada (bad weather near 20k). Plus a half dozen climbs on Mt. Shasta, which is one my most favorite hills to play on.

For rivers I've ran the upper Kern, American, Russian and the Touolume in California, plus sections of the James and the New River in Virginia, as well as being confused a whole bunch of times in these cypress swamps out here. Also, I've done two Trans Ams on a touring bike, and ran cycling treks in the Seirras.

My next certification will be NCS's Trek Leader which is now required for the job at summer camp, should be interesting....

LV

Very cool Long Haul, thanks for the link. That is something to consider doing soon.

Two years is about right, but what a knowledgebase to have available to Scouters. I think I've got a good portion covered but I'd sign up. You can't ever learn too much.

Our council only seems to give lip service to the concept of high adventure. When asked they always reply with "Go to Philmont or Seabase or Northern Tier" Great programs every one but my guys can't afford it.

That's pretty hefty list and the trips sound like a blast.