Summer Camp troop traditions

Last year at Daniel Boone, one troop would get their plates and all stand silently behind their chairs at the table until all members were present, then everyone would sit down at once. It made for an impressive sight.

I am curious to hear some of your troop's traditions at summer camp.

Anyone?

Our troop always booked the site closest to the staff area, every morning before Polar Bear we would wake up the staff with a song. This was funny until I was on staff. I was usually awake, but I don't like a lot of noise in the morning.

Our Scouts, prior to my time in the troop, attended a camp that had a tradition at evening flags. The camp staff would call roll, and each SPL would answer that his troop was present. Over the years, that had morphed into SPLs and troops doing wacky stunts, to be the first called into the dining hall.

That camp closed, and most of the troops that attended that camp moved on to the other council camp, where such a tradition of silliness didn't exist. Here's where I started attending...same thing, at evening roll call, camp staff calls out campsite by campsite. So our guys start into the silliness. So much so that the staff can be seen trying to choke back the laughs. It was something different each day, but the ones that I recall are the troop starting to sing The Lion Sleeps Tonight, while bobbing up and down singing "wim-oh-weh". They also once brought branches to hide behind, as they snuck up towards the dining hall door (looked silly, and was very funny). A few other troops started to get into it too.

We've since moved on to a new camp, and last year I don't recall anything out of the ordinary. We'll see what happens this year.

Not to one-up you, Skipper, but our entire dining hall does that for every meal of every day. 400-500 Scouts and Scouters silently entering a dining hall with folded arms to stand behind their seats and sing the meal prayer in unison all before anyone sits. Now that's impressive.

We also have a knot of the meal (published prior in commissioner notes and leader guide): each scout needs to tie one of the basic knots. While the unit is waiting to enter the hall staff members mingle with the Scouts to check their knots. If there's a Scout that can't do it correctly the staff member either takes a minute to show him or calls on his PL to instruct. As the week goes the knots get more difficult. Good reinforcement of the knots for older guys and helps younger guys learn for rank and merit badges.

Our boys wore full uniform for the whole week, except for swimming events. They did not participate in flag raising/retirement days that didn't expect the boys to be in uniform.

Stosh

Thank you, my friends, for your replies and input. We have some interesting dynamics coming together for our upcoming Summer Camp trip, and the ASPL and I (SPL is out of the country that week) are going to be sitting down to talk about camp. ASPL is a real natural leader and has the respect of the scouts. He wants to do some fun things with the troop for all else to see. Last year we tried bringing back an old troop tradition of presenting an "Order of the Fork" award daily to a staff member. But he asked about doing something else to "Set the troop apart..." (his words). I like the idea of everyone standing until everyone is ready to sit for dinner. --jtswestark, this was done at a camp where everyone was served cafeteria style, so everyone had to wait until all were served before sitting down.--

We were also the only troop to do a flag ceremony with a bugler, but our bugler is not attending camp this year; we do, however have another scout who plays trumpet and the troop has a loaner bugle to use.

Any other ideas on what I may pass on to the ASPL on what the troop can do to "rise above" the rest?

When my boys wanted to stand out, they wore full uniforms, all carried 6' walking sticks, the SPL carried a white bullet flag with three strips on it, ASPL had same with 2 1/2 strips, patrol flags carried by PL's were all uniform and the boys all stood in formation. The troop flag and American flag were also carried by the patrol responsible for flag ceremony that day. They had done the camp flags earlier in the morning. While at camp flags they didn't look around, they didn't do anything except march in, stand at attention, salute as necessary and march out.

It made such an impression, that the camp staff came over and wanted to talk and only the SPL fielded questions (we were the only out-of-council troop there). Afterwards about half the camp staff stopped by to "chat" with the boys in the campsite and were surprised to see them all in uniform. It was a cook in patrol site camp and still the boys were in full uniform.

Throughout the week everyone at camp knew which troop our members belonged to because they were in full uniform. Although the other boys didn't say much except an occasional chide here and there, the adults all wanted to know what the "secret" was. My SPL summed it up rather nicely, "There's no secret about wearing the uniform and showing pride in our troop, everyone in camp can see that."

My SPL also commented at the end of the week how surprised he was that the boys stood out so much simply because they did it right. From that point on, all outings (camporees, etc.) the boys were in full uniform and adhered to the tradition.

Sure the boys were not all spit and polish while in camp, a shirt tail out here and there, etc., but at flags, they all could have passed a uniform inspection with no problems.

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

Our troop does not wear full uniforms all week at camp, we travel in uniform, flags, meals, campfires in full uniforms (including socks with shorts).

The boys with positions wear a different colored troop hat with their position patch sewn on the front of the hat. so even if they aren't in uniform, everyone can see who spl or aspl are.

the troop makes a souvenir summer camp troop class b tshirt with the name/logo of the camp they are attending. but they don't give out the shirt until right before they are heading home. So they come home in a clean shirt for mommy to think they stayed clean all week at camp. hehe

Ways to set your troop apart

Always wear full uniform

The Troop wears a hat, and the same hat at that. My preference would be red berets but there may not be enough for your troop to snag one for everyone. A campaign hat on every head would be dramatic if not cost prohibitive, but just sayin'. Any BSA hat will do if the entire troop wears it

March to Flags in formation, by patrol, with Troop flag leading the way and leading each patrol, the patrol flag of course. For extra effect have them whistle or sing

the remain standing thing has already been mentioned

Do a "spontaneous" cheer during each meal, loud strong and with conviction

Write a skit for the closing campfire that features people imitating the staff. All with taste of course. If you have a personable waterfront director, the Boat 99 skit kills!

OGE, I love the Rowboat #9 skit! It may well be my favorite of all time!

Two summers ago, the first year I took the troop as SM, I insisted that everyone wear our neckerchief, which is very unique and dates back nearly 75 years. Everyone balked, but on the way to chow on Sunday evening (our first meal) we passed a scout walking the other way who said smartly: "Cool neckerchief." Later in the week a staff member from England asked for one of our neckerchiefs to take home. It was given, and was the first time that I know of that a neckerchief was given to a non troop member.

I am all about uniforms at camp. But I work hard not to be the world's oldest SPL, and convincing the SPL and scouts to do this is sometimes challenging. Good for you Stosh that your troop "gets it."

The "Order of the Fork" award is given at the evening meal to a staff member agreed upon by the troop, who has done an outstanding job or something special. We keep the presentation brief, but start with the SPL up front and once he has the attention of the dining hall, the troop begins changing "Order of the Fork! Order of the Fork...!" He then gives a brief description of the OOTF and calls up the deserving staff member and presents the award: a varnished log plaque with a cocktail fork epoxied on as well as a troop "3" patch. Sometimes we also "crown" the staffer with a "princess" headband. It is often worn with distinction all week.

I am not looking for anything as overt as a daily award. But something more subtle. Last year we learned that our commissioner was a big fan of a particular brand of Root Beer, not sold at camp. We sent an adult into town to buy some, and there was a cold RB awaiting him every day he showed up for campsite inspection. At the end of the week, he announced that we had the highest score of any troop the whole summer, but we had made sure we earned every point we were given.

It is all in good fun, and the scouts have a great time with it all.

We would also pick a theme for our week at camp, a few weeks before would silk screen shirts with that year's them.

Our troop number was 109, so one year we were the 109-irons and built our own mini-golf course for use by anyone. We lost a few golf balls trying to hit them across the Delaware River.