About Mic-O-Say...

I'm a bit curious about the Camp Honors Program Mic-O-Say Tribe.

Is there anyone that can enlighten me about the program? My summer camp has it's own Camp Honors Program and I was interested in comparing the similarities.

If possible, send me an e-mail. I admit I had forgotten about this message board.

T4Eagle137@yahoo.com or @aol.com.

Thanks!

I'll try to keep an eye on things here also.

Hi t4eagle, I would love to post more for you but have to crawl out of bed early to head to camp to do some Mic-O-Say activities.

Here are two good links to start you on your research:

For the Tribe in the Heart of Americal Council- H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation

http://www.mic-o-say.org/

For the Tribe in the Pony Express Council- Camp Geiger

http://www.micosay.org/

Hope you find what you are looking for.

BTW What is the name of your camps honor group?

WAKWIB

Known among the Mic-O-Say as Sachem Sunlit Valley

Ours is the Pipestone Camp Honors Program, Buckeye Council, Seven Ranges Scout Reservation.

It's been around since 1926 as a way to keep Scouts returning to summer camp and also to help Scouts reach Eagle at the same time.

http://www.buckeyecouncil.org/pipestone.htm(This message has been edited by t4eagle137)(This message has been edited by t4eagle137)

A couple of comments to amplify on my good friend WAKWIB's note (we're in the same district):

In the Heart of America Council, 99 44/100% of all Tribal functions happen at the H Roe Bartle Scout Reservation. When we had the 75th Anniversary of the Tribe in 2004, we did have some functions in Kansas City. Year round, Scouts are evaluated so they may be considered for advancement.

In the Pony Express Council, the Tribe is a year-round activity. Their several SE's over the years, Executive Board and Executive Committee have opted not to join the Order of the Arrow to this very day.

MOS was brought to Missouri by H Roe Bartle ... former SE for Pony Express (1920s) and Kansas City Area (1927-1953) Councils ... AND the mayor of Kansas City (1953-61) and the guy who convinced Lamar Hunt to bring an AFL franchise to KC (hence the Chiefs... for Bartle was known as the Chief)... AND the guy for whom Bartle Hall Convention Center is named.

I'll simply say:

- There's a reason the Missouri Councils are near the top of the National list on Eagles earned, religious awards earned, and youth camped per season.

- There's a reason youth attend resident camp for 5-6 years running ... in addition to doing HA or staff work, plus their other interests.

MOS works for the guys in KC but the other big, very tradtional council in Missouri does not have dining halls nor MOS. We also have very large % of scouts in camp, one of the largest, if not largest OA Lodge in the country, and our main scout camp has had patrol cooking since 1966. I have atttended or staffed camp schools several times since 72 so I've spent lots of times with guys from KC. I think the strong and long traditions of MOS and the OA in those councils help them with camp attendance and work for them. The whole adult run thing in MOS does baffle me but I know that MOS and the OA all got started around the same time in the 20's so why not let it be. I do always ask why we need OA and the various honor camping programs in the same council; maybe we should spend less time honoring each other and more time delivering program to kids.

>>I'll simply say:

- There's a reason the Missouri Councils are near the top of the National list on Eagles earned, religious awards earned, and youth camped per season.

- There's a reason youth attend resident camp for 5-6 years running ... in addition to doing HA or staff work, plus their other interests.

To Eagledad;

The Missouri councils don't all have MOS and I think you missed my point about council strength and traditions. In St. Louis we have a very strong OA program (and would go a bit nuts if it was adult run like MOS) and both KC and St.L have great camp attendance, high advancement, super attendance at High Adventure programs. I think no matter what kind of camping honor program a council has its the strength of the council and its hard work to deliver quality camping programs that makes it all happen. Many councils have non-OA programs and many councils have OA and many them don't deliver great program; I don't think its the honor camper programs I think its the strength and traditions of those councils. Honor socities are after all a secondary thing; they are the tail, not the dog.

You also have an illegal setup with two lodges in the same council. When are you going to fix that?

I'll stack Tamegonit #147s program up to yours any day of the week:

- 2 Spring Induction Weekends

- 3 Boy Scout Camp session inductions

- Fall Induction Weekend

- Fall Fellowship

- Vigil Banquet

- Winter Banquet

- Theodore Naish Workdays

I don't know if our Lodge logs the service hours it renders to the Council on the GTFA website. If we did, it's be in the tens of thousands per year.

In my District, our Chapter does an annual cookout to support District Roundtable and will provide the Flag Opening for the August Roundtable Re-union, in addition to its internal fun things it does as a Chapter.

JohninKC,

This isn't a discussion about which lodge is stronger but about honor camping groups and what they do for council camping and Boy Scout programs. I would guess the National office will make us merge the two lodges in the Greater St. Louis Area Council (the result of the merger of 3 councils)when they include the MOS decorations in the Uniform Guide of the BSA.

Strange, I didn't realize I put OA down. So lets just say that if a program is run the MOS program, we would have twice the scouts. Our OA programs in this area struggle a lot. If we would learn from the MOS, "and I guess your OA program as well", it would be a boost for our scouting program.

Barry

Barry,

The funny thing is, around here both programs run strong. I've spent my summer weekends volunteering at our Cub Family Resident Camp, I see a bunch of young men who wear both the claw lanyard of the Tribe and the Arrow lanyard of the Order. They get it. They've embraced concepts of selflessness, service, devotion to God, responsibility for those who are coming up the trail...

Personally, I happen to like how the St Joe branch of the Tribe does some things. They do have more emphasis on youth. They have a stronger emphasis on the year-round aspect of the program. I like they make having earned Eagle a condition of advancement at the upper youth levels. I like that they emphasize making authentic regalia by the youth members.

If the tool helps hone the teen who becomes a young adult to be a better man, then we should actively embrace it.

To conclude, Jim Terry, the CFO of BSA and the Deputy Chief Scout Executive, who went to Iriving from our Heart of America Council, this summer brought Mr Mazzuca to the H Roe Bartle Scout Reservation. When Mr Williams was the Chief, Jim also brought him to Osceola.

While I'll be at Philmont next week, I'll return the invite you gave me: If you're going to be up in Kansas City any time for any reason, PM me, and we can do spend time sharing this joy of Scouting :)