Heading off to Summer Camp

As I'm typing this post, I've got my uniforms and other camp clothes in the washer.

In the morning I'm headed off to Camp Joy.

Sat and Sun in between camp sessions Crew 805 will be holding an overnight Beach party. Swimming and bbqing near the waterfront. I'm looking at 20+ youth attending. Got a call from the Crew Pres telling me to bring out more youth applications. About 9 Crew members are on camp staff this year and word got out about this weekend so, I'll be having a few more folks joining up this weekend.

After the Crew breaks camp on Sunday morning, I move my tent to staff row and give my services to the camp as a camp commissioner. Camp Commish's "tradition" is to make sure all program areas have water every morning. Also looking forward to helping out where I'm needed, First Class Trail, Waterfront (I was last year's Aq Dir). Since I pulled a good one on the Program Director at Spring Fellowship, I may end up on garbage can cleaning detail.

Best part of next week will be visiting with friends that I haven't seen in a few months.

Worst part of next week will be having to spend a whole week in the camp with Manyirons :) .... just kidding Many...you know I love you!!!!

Actually I'm looking forward to spending some time with Manyirons troop. They are a great band of scouts and scouters.

See you guys in about 10 days.

Right behind you Purcelce!

Camp Joy should be great. This is the first time in 4 years that we're camping in council. I'm looking forward to having our OA candidates called out by our own lodge, as well as having our Scouts participate in the camp leadership program -- Tribe of Mannaseh. The Scouts are jazzed up about both.

In addition to that, I'll also be able to do some visitin'. There'll be 3 other troops we know personally at the camp next week (along with 200+ other Scouts). It'll also be a mini-Woodbadge reunion with 1 of my patrol members, several course members, and my course director who is serving as Camp Commissioner.

Purcelce if you really loved me, you'd have your Crew install a latrine in our campsite -- I really dislike long walks with a flashlight ;)

we just got back from summer camp yesterday. it was prety good. i pulled out 8 meritbadges, 2 of which were required for eagle. we won the water polo tournament, out of the scout teams, but we lost against the staff team (partly because our SPL was wrongly disqualified). the only major injusry was a bruised wrist. we also got the aquatics director fired (we helped in part, it wasnt all our fault).

hope everyone else has a great time at summer camp.

it all started in the staf versus us polo match. the aqua. director was in the pool playing on the staff team. right off the start he was rough on our team, picking on kids half or a quarter of his size. then, about 7 minutes into the game, he decided to put our SPL in a choke hold, for no apparent reason. our SPL then threw him over the rope into the next section of the pool. the aqua director threw him out, but then a bunch of adults started yelling at him because he choked him first, ect. so he said our SPL could come back in, but our SPL didnt want to get into another fight, or lose his temper, so he just left.

when we asked in the pool why he put a choke hold on him, he said "because i was under water and didnt know i was holding on to anything" the he said he threw him out of the pool, because he "had a bad temper and looked like he was going to hit me". when our SPL's dad and brother came back down to ask about it, he said" he kicked me in the crotch, and i didnt know i had a hold of him."

we ended it there, not wanting to beat a dead horse any farther, but one lady, who was watching reported it to the camp director, and to the council. the camp director confronted him about this (and many other things that happened during the week). he blew up, and got mad and started yelling. so, the camp director fired him.