SC Advancement, Has the Campfire Gone Out?, and Oh, The Pain!...

We just returned from a successful week at Summer Camp and wanted to share a few thoughts. Overall, it was a very successful week. We had a great time, and the boys are already talking about next year.

Here are a few highlights:

Camp staff was trained better than I have seen in the past. Area leaders have mentors that are working with them to ensure a strong program. New syllabi have been created for many of the merit badges.

Our troop operated as a boy-led troop to the greatest degree yet.  It was a great experience (and an eye-opening one) for our junior leaders.  They grew a lot during the week.

Camp program was well-executed, and the boys had plenty of things to keep them busy.

Camp staff listened to the Scoutmaster's concerns and acted on them!!!

Weather was near-perfect!

Food was good (but the portions were small).

Now, for the lowlights:

Summer Camp still seems to be a Merit Badge mill.  Even with the new syllabi created for camp, the staff seemed reluctant to use them.  And, heaven-forbid they need to "fail" a scout.  It seemed that - if a scout shows up for class - he gets the Merit Badge.  The shooting sports are the only exception, because they require a qualification score.  I had a scout pass Lifesaving and then tell me that he felt that he did not deserve the badge. 

The campfires were horrific.  If these our typical of campfires, then no wonder they are burning out.  Our parents sat through a 2 1/2 hour display of crude humor, inside jokes, confusing skits, worn-out skits and several uses of the word "fricking" (which was apparently approved by the Camp Commissioner).  Our parent's were disgusted and asked if we could just skip the campfire next year.  We may do just that.

Uniforming.  Our troop was the only one even close to 100% uniformed.  While I am used to seeing troops out of uniform, I was disappointed with the total disrespect for the uniform that I saw this year.  At least, in the past, I would see troops with "alternative" uniforms (camo pants, khaki pants, jeans).  This year, I did not see a single troop that had any type of standard.  Soccer shorts, Hawaiian prints, jungle prints, ripped up pants, you name it, they wore it.  Even the color guards for the flag ceremony.  It was very disappointing.

Overall, thought, it was a successful week.  Several improvements over last year.  I only hope the camp administration takes the feedback seriously and makes more improvements before next year.

I'd bet that the flaws were always there. As your troop moves ahead they just stand out more. It's a sign that you are "delivering the promise". Give your self and the other troop leaders a pat on the back.

We were there also - same camp, same week. I would agree with your observations. I was happy to see how well things went overall, especially considering it was the largest attendance week ever.

Couldn't agree more regarding the merit badges and campfires. Unfortunately I spent the Friday night campfire time at Kosair Childrens Hospital in Louisville - that was one of ours that wiped out on the stairs during the parade of troops. Fortunately though, he didn't break anything and I got to pass on the campfire.

Hey 74

Glad to hear the young lad wasn't hurt too bad. I ended up sitting right next to him after we came in (while he was still sitting on the stairs). I know he was in some intense pain.

You're right about the attendance. I've been told that the camp was designed to support 500 total campers. It held up well considering it had well over that.

To the young man that "passed" the Life Saving Merit Badge:

For several summers, I taught Scouts how to swim, how to save a life, how to keep their life. Actively listen to what he is saying. Encourage him to enter a program that can engage him in the requirements, enough so that he feels confident. It is a badge when learned properly can pay off. If learned poorly, well, you know the results.

FB

Good Morning All

>>Summer Camp still seems to be a Merit Badge mill. Even with the new syllabi created for camp, the staff seemed reluctant to use them. And, heaven-forbid they need to "fail" a scout.