Camp School for Non-Camp Staff

Now, this isnt as bizarre as it sounds, I hope. I have a chance to attend Hawk Moountain Camp School in June to be a Shooting Sports Director, no, I wont be employed as Summer Camp Staff, but there never seems to be a qualified Rangemaster around. Our Scout Executive has even offered to pay for some of the tuition if I will open the Range during the year. For those who have gone to Camp School, are there many civilians there? The Shooting sports will cover Archery, Rifle, Muzzle Loading and Shotgun. Not bad for a weeks worth of training. What do you guys think?

Sounds like you're heading toward some off-season work; you could find a whole new world... You might end up in a unique position and discover some special opportunities working outside of your Crew (probably won't hurt that bunch either - you'll need staffers and help in general and even the older kids still like to shoot things) Thought you were busy before?

Camp School will feel a little funny when you're surrounded by youngsters(!) that are heading toward the senior summer camp staff positions, and you'll likely see a flock of teachers in there as well. a pretty good bunch of folks all in all.

A different sort of vacation. Go with it and have a good time!

When I went to National Camping School many, many moons ago, there were folks of all sizes, shapes, colors, and ages in attendance. Sounds like a great opportunity to me. Hope you have a great time.