Appropriate to Tip ??

Remember that Scout in the fog with Seaton? He refused a tip because he was doing his good turn.

You could offer a tip but the Scout should refuse it.

FWIW, tipping has gotten out of control in our society. People expect a tip even if they provide poor service. I'm considered outrageous by my friends because I tip poorly for poor service but I also tip very well for good service.

Twocub,

At our day camp, the campers are assigned into dens. Each den has a Den Chief and that Den Chief stays with the den for the week. I have not seen many (any) parents. Adult supervision is provided by the paid staff (adult) including counselors. So the tip would be directed to the Den Chief. The question that was asked to me evolved around the Den Chiefs not the adults. And as you suggested, it was intended to be a small simple thank you. It just seems decent, but I do understand the general objections posted here, after all it is CS camp, not a priviate camp.

Mr. Fat Old Guy, or FOG if I may be so bold? (I know how you prefer the French custom of requesting the honor of informality),

The boy that Mr. Boyce encountered spent a relativity few minutes doing a good turn. These boys are putting in 10 hour days for 5 days, and in some cases for 6 weeks. To view that commitment in terms of a Good Turn would be exceptional and certainly beyond the call of duty for a 13-15 year old boy.

"Check your history. Seaton was not the one lost in the fog.

It was Boyce.(William D. Boyce)"

That's what THEY want you to believe. Just like THEY want to think that a weather balloon crashed at Roswell NM and that microwave towers aren't for mind control. :-)

" (I know how you prefer the French custom of requesting the honor of informality), "

Not so long ago, it was also an American custom. :-)

In any case, I see nothing in the literature about a duration for a good turn.

Go ahead, offer the tip. Good Scouts should refuse it. If they accept tips they shouldn't be allowed to use the time as Community Service for school or Scouts.

I know a young fellow who is taking a leave from his regular $10/hour job at a local shop to work as a counselor at Summer camp for $100/week. He's giving up $300 a week for two months. Why? Because he's wanted to work at camp since he was a Tenderfoot.

Here's my suggestion: write a letter to the camp director about what a great job the den chief did. Send a copy to the den chief's scoutmaster if you know who that is. That will have more longterm lasting value than any $5 gift certificate.

Hunt,

What a terrific suggestion! I am ashammed I didn't think of it!

I agree 10000%. It will last way longer than the candy he'll buy at the trading post, or the cheeseburger he'll buy with the gift certificate.

But fotoscout, I also applaud you for recognizing a good effort and wanting to do something to reward it. I suspect that at least some of today's youth's lack of effort to do good is caused by adults empathy when they do. Maybe if more of us (mk9750, are YOU listening?) went out of our way to notice and reward the behavior we desire, we'd get it.

I spent 3 years as a Den Leader at day camp a few years ago. Generally, Den Chiefs were more of a problem than a help. If you found one who was valuable, please take the time to write the notes.

Mark

Please return to your seats... the pilot has just lit the "Please fasten your seat belt sign". Severe left turn...

Best tip o' the day...

We just returned from BOY Scout Resident camp. While there we invited our host ( 1st day guide in this case) to join us in the troop photo. He was delighted, in 3 years he had never been asked to do so. Needless to say we ordered an extra copy of the picture for Darien!

Forget the money.

I have done this in the past for thanks at cub resident camps>

Once, staff was having a b-day party for camp director, Myself and about 8 other leaders picked up the tab for the pizza.

Every year, I make dinner and dessert on the fire and invite those folks who are helping the boys. (Tends to be the Counselors who run the Dan Beard or Brown sea island program) This also allows the new scouts to "thank the counsler.

At day Camp: Though I have never had a den chief at resident camp so the thought never arouse. If you feel that you should give something, how about: If the Den chief is into magic cards, give him a pack. or something small. Better yet, have the boys make him something, I think he would cherish that more!!! and give him a reminder of the service he gave!!!

• 1 month later...

Hello Everybody,

Our CS camp program has finished for this year and I wanted to let everyone know how we settled the tip issue.

Our camp runs a staff party at the end of each season. At the party they give out door prizes. We ended up providing a fist full of Blockbuster gift cards as door prizes. Everyone went home with something, and the adult camp staff was very thankful.

Thanks for the help.

• 3 months later...

No way on a monitary tip, however a sincere thank, an invitation to go on a pack/troop outing, or perhaps pack/troop hat, shirt or patch could be appropriate, one thing some troops do is have a slide, pin or patch, something cheap and unique to the unit, that they give to staffers that go above and beyond the call of duty

No tipping to Den Chiefs. I myself was a Den CHief for 6 years and i had a blast. I had a very good leader to work with (same one who helped me get my AOL) and we got along all the time. She thanked me a lot for all the hard work i put in and made me feel appreacted enough.

The only thing we ever did was exchange gifts for christmass. She would get me a small thing andf then I'd give her some vension from the past hutning season

• 5 months later...

Well I don't think in 8 years that anyone has ever tried to tip me with cash. But if they did I wouldn't take it.

I have accepted a can of pop for staying late and helping a scout learn some knots.

My suggestion if your pack troop has a T shirt they make good gifts, many staffers will proudly ware a troop shirt for years to come.

I have see troops that make their own patch for camp and give those to thir troop guide or commisioner.

For out of council troops souncil patches are often given.

The coolest thing was ever given was a 25 year old patch for the camp i worked at, the leader had worked at the cam pthe year the patch was issued and at the end of the week I had served as his commisioner he gave it to me. Much more meaningful then a $50 tip.

The troop picture idea is also good.