I'd gladly share the credit with Pack.

I grew up with a field behind my house and would spend hours wandering through it - I considered it part of my backyard. Had a small wetland in it too. One of the common flowers was Yellow Goats-beard and I'd seen it throughout its life cycle. I was pretty sure that's what you were thinking about (it was the Dandelion head on steroids that made me certain) so I just pulled out my trusty Peterson's Field Guide to Wildflowers, given to me by my mother on my 10th birthday (figures - I was born in November and get a widlflower book just in time for snow season) and double checked.

I have the full set of Peterson's Guides - including the Field Guide to Mammals of Great Britain and Europe which has been long out of print - mom recognized that my idea of a Mole was a furry creature that burrows underground, much to the chagrin of my Father, the PhD in Chemistry, for whom Mole means some weird mathematical formula. Guess there had to be someone in the family with a biology mindset.

I recommend that Scout Troops include in their library at least a basic set of Peterson's Guides - my recommendations: Birds, Wildflowers, Trees, Mammals, Reptiles and Amphibians, Insects, Stars & Planets and the generalist book of the closest habitat in your region (examples include North American Prairie or Western Forests). In most cases, you can get identification guides specific to your region - not just Trees but Eastern Trees or Western Trees. You can always add others later.