external frame backpack recommendtations

The Kelty Tioga is indeed a nice pack. The problem is that it's huge. People with a pack that large often end carrying more than they ought to just because, "hey, it fits."

The trekker is a good pack also, slightly smaller torso adjestment, and still carries everything necessary.

Yes the Tioga can accommodate a lot of stuff because it is expandable, and so I can volunteer to take and internally carry that 8qt cooking pot that weighs nothing while the other guys load up on the food. I will admit that I have also used it to haul more than my share of water up a dry ridge so I am not a complete lazy bum, but it does take some discipline to know that it does not need to be full.

I am a dedicated external frame pack user. The benefits offered by the EFP (external frame pack) have been gone over here so far and I will not repeat them.

My son and I both use Jansport Carson 90 EFPs. My son first used a Jansport Scout, and he was happy with its performance , but noted that it lacked a cinch strap for the shoulder straps (another Scout I serve with has modified his Scout model EFP with a cinch strap salvaged from a dead Coleman hydration pack).

I hiked at Philmont in '06 (crew 731-F), and I had no problems with my Carson 90...well, I had a small problem WAY before we left on the trek (during shakedowns) that was the draw-tight feature of the hip belt would loosen up a bit while hiking with the pack at trail weight(55lbs). The hip belt has a tightening system that has the wearer pull the slack towards the wearers center...what I did was put 2 keeper buckles on the straps and then a quick release buckle...the keeper buckles keeep the loose ends from folding under and the second keeper buckle ensures the hip belt doesnt loosen up.

I would recommend this pack to anyone...especially those who ARE NOT experienced backpackers as I know the EFP is more forgiving of how its packed and does seem to carry more. Also, for trail hiking, such as found at Philmont...the EFPs just plain work.

I have to mention regarding bungees as posted here before me...I wouldnt use a bungee to afix gear to a pack...but they are handy as all get out when you need to hang your pack up against a good sized tree trunk to keep them off the ground.

Unfortunately, Jansport does NOT offer a rain cover for the Carson 90 or Carson 80 (both EFP), but the Granite Gear raincover from the tooth of time traders at Philmont works GREAT! and its BIIGG! It'll cover the pack and the tent,thermorest, even my folding stool.

Jansport Carson 80 or 90...a good pack, and it lasts...get one,if you can.

I have a Kelty Tioga 5400 external frame pack with the 50th anniversary frame (bent funny to add more air circulation). I haven't used it as much as I'd like. The first trip I took it down the Grand Canyon and back up. The pack rides absolutely great. It's very comfortable. The biggest problem I have with it is that it's heavy and there is no good way to strap a sleeping bag or tent to the outside as with most externals. I ended up putting the sleeping bag in the bottom compartment. That left just one big compartment for the rest of the gear and that really sucks. The pockets are also really strange. There's one long deep pocket. I haven't figured out a good way to use that? Perhaps belayer-St. Louis can explain? Quart bottles don't fit in the pockets well either.

I still have my backpack that I used as a scout 30 years ago. I like it's design and size much better than the Kelty. There is two compartments. I always put clothes in the bottom and food/gear in the top. Sleeping bag and pad strapped on the frame below the pack. It had four side pockets, two on each side. A quart nalgene bottle fit perfectly in the top side pockets. There was also a pocket facing back on the upper compartment, a perfect place for rain gear and first aid kit. It's too bad that pack is mostly worn out. I really wish there was something like it on the market now only with the new improvements to the suspension.

• 1 month later...

Here is a question for all of you. I have been asked by several scouts ages 14 to 18 about what is a good source for backpacks, I am thinking Campmor since that is what most of my council uses. I am also asked by parents that they wants a good pack under $100 for the scout to be used both for a weekend trip and a hiking trip similar to Philmont style.

What would you recommend?

Can you also provide a suggestion for a leader too? Budget $100 for pack.

Thanks

Campmor, Campmor, Campmor!!!!! I can't recommend them enough. I've used them for years and never had a bad transaction. You've got to watch their "Hot Deals" on the web and you can score some great deals. Purchased JanSport Scout packs for my sons for $49.99 apiece. Not a bad deal at all!!!!

As far as a pack for an adult leader, Campmor has a current "Hot Deal" on the JanSport Carson EFP for $59.97(This message has been edited by Eagletrek)

To SWScouter: Glad you like the Kelty Super Tioga. If memory is correct (suspect statement)the 50th Anniv. version of that pack won a Backpacker mag. design award. Use of the long pocket: I put tent poles/pegs (its original purpose) and odd stuff in that pocket. Things like mini shovel, folding saw, length of para cord. I will admit that it isn't the most used pocket but it seems to be a good catch-all for tool like thingss for me. Sometimes, depending on the hike and who I'm with it becomes the trash can for the pieces of trash that we find on the trail. Oh yes, sometimes I keep the toilet paper and hand cleaner in that pocket (in zip lock of course). I will admit that you have some memory about who has expressed opinions about various pieces of equipment.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure that Campmor is great but I would recommend buying packs at a local store where they can fit it and show you the correct way to wear it. You pay a bit more but I believe that the help and advice from a knowledgeable salesperson is a worthwhile investment

We have a locally owned outfitter (Casual Adventure, Arlington, VA) that offers a 10% discount to scouts and scouters. Their manager even came to one of our meetings to help scouts going on a high adventure trek to properly pack and adjust their packs (no matter where the packs came from). Personally I want to support businesses that support us in that way. It is nice to have a clerk tell you that "this is what I used at Philmont".

I know some who will go to a local store to try on gear and then go home and order it on-line. Thrifty yes but not a very nice thing to do to the local businessman.

On bungee cord, I avoid those things completely. Too easy for them to snap back and cause an eye injury. I have a dinged pair of glasses to prove it.

YIS

Hal

Just had a guy sold me a almost brand new Olive Kelty Super Tioga and a Blue Yukon packs from $100 from his son who bought them and used them once each. Both fit me fine since I have a narrow frame.

Now I have to start looking at Sleeping bags and tents.

A scout is thrifty and young boys grow into big boys check out:

http://users.scronline.com/troop77/EquipmentTrader/backpacks.htm

Note this is a unpaid announcement the person recommended has been very helpful with sizing etc even though I have never purchased anything from him. Turned out I had what I needed just did not know how to adjust it properly and he gave me instructions at no charge.

• 6 months later...

Kelty, Kelty, oh and did I say Kelty? I love Kelty packs, still using the one I bought new in 1973, a BB5 with the extended frame. My son has a Kelty Super Tioga. I also have a Kelty Internal Frame El Capitan circa 1982, and a smaller Kelty Internal Frame Tornado since about 2001. I've used them all extensively, but still keep coming back to the BB5 External Frame. That's what I'm carrying at Philmont this summer. My son will be carrying his Super Tioga. Kelty offers lifetime warranty's on bag and frames. I've had to return the BB5 to Kelty a couple of times for repairs, always comes back good as new. Now my favorite day pack is the North Face Kletter.

My father, my oldest boy and I have used Cabela's Alasken II external frame for years. I like the "bench" underneath for the sleeping back, it's lightweight with lots of external pockets and a divider on the inside that unzips. The back comes off really easy (I use the just the frame for carrying out elk meat) and the hip belt is wide and thick. Don't know if they still sell it. Here is a link:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0015826515447a.shtml