Parental Encouragement

As my son is about to cross over to Boy Scouts, we have been attending troop meetings and looking ahead at the program. The troop he is joining seems to overall focus on the Eagle Required Merit Badges from the moment a boy joins. The boys have planned what merit badges they work on as a group at troop meetings and campouts for the rest of the year. Many of these are the "fun" things like orienteering and golf. They troop tries to get the boys to get First Class in First year, and has picked out a summer camp with a good first year program to help in that area.

How do I, as a parent, help my son along without pushing too hard or having a "paper eagle"? I'm not concerned about how many badges he earns or how fast he achieves his ranks, but I want him to do some things on his own. Looking over the merit badge requirements, I see some that I think he would really enjoy. He is not yet 11 and still needs reminding to do things like homework and scout requirements. I'm willing and able to work with him on a lot of requirements and so he can then go show the leaders and get sign off.

Any suggestions on how to approach without being overbearing? I want to make sure he stays on track (meaning he stays interested and moving forward at any speed).

This may or may not apply in your situation (and I know we've had a thorough discussion on the topic of homeschool on another thread, so I'm not looking to start a fight there). If you homeschool, many of the merit badges (particularly the science ones) lend themselves very well to school use. If your son is in public school you can still help him earn some of the badges that are less likely to be done at the troop meetings...reading, geneology, etc.

Our troop does one merit badge at a time during the troop meetings. They can take several months to complete and often have homework assignments. Make sure if your son has homescoutwork that he stays on top of it. it's tough for him to catch up if he falls behind and it's a bit of a pain for the leaders to track a dozen boys all part way done with different requirements.

There is no reason to push but we like to keep at least one scout issue going all the time as it seems to keep the boys focused on scouting. At home we work on merit nadges during th elate summer when the troop suspends meetings for a month.

He doesn't have a friend that is joining the troop. I don't homeschool but still feel that the merit badges can fit in with his school work, including boosting his self confidence in certain school subjects and giving him a broader experience than he may get in the traditional school setting.

One reason I have him in scouting is to keep him from just sitting around playing video games all the time. I have used Cub Scout requirements as ways to "enhance" our family time and supplement his public education (sort of like part time home schooling, maybe?). Often I have learned right along with him, hopefully showing him that learning should never end and is fun in and of itself.

I am buying him a copy of the 2002 Requirements book. After he crosses over, we can sit down together and find one he would like to start on. I see a few I might point out to him that I know match his interest -- railroading, cooking, photography, pets. Then I thought I would suggest he ask the other new scouts if they are interested and ask the troop guide how to proceed.

After reading the requirements for Home Repairs, I'm thinking I'll volunteer my house for the whole troop to work on that one. ;)

Mom Mom Mom Mom Mom,

As you said you are not worried about how many badges he earns or how fast he advances, and as he is not yet 11 years old, this is what I would do, work with him on his advancement requirements to first class. Review the Oath and Law and what it means to him. Talk about safe hiking practice and how to safely build a fire. Learn to ID plants and animals and signs. Teach him how to use a compass and orient a contour map. Go over the knots until he can do them blind folded and/or behind his back. He has plenty of time to work on merit badges. Perhaps basketry or leather work for now, but he will get far more from the merit badge program when he is older, even 12. If the troop is doing a badge, by all means he should do it, but leave working on individual badges alone until he is older.

I admit I come from a generation where you couldnt earn merit badges until you were first class where as now you can earn them before you are tenderfoot. I may still have some of the old prejudices about merit badges, but work on scout skills and wait for merit badges till he will appreciate them.

But then, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong...

OGE, thanks for your view.

Did I mention I also carried my compass on that school field trip? Then when someone said "meet at the north end of the basketball court", I knew where to go! LOL

I am enjoying learning about compass reading. A thought just came to mind that maybe I can have him set up a compass course in the yard for ME! We will both learn and he won't think I'm pushing.

Australian 11 year olds often concentrate on fun rather than progression in badges too. It seems to take about a year for them to realise that they have covered a lot of ground in badgework just by turning up. And then they get excited. The number of times scouts have come to me and said 'Emu, I've only got two things to do and I've got ... badge!".

Keep an eye on the troop program. Make sure that things are signed off and followed up if that is the requirement for passing tests. Most of them don't look at the badge requirments from one meeting to the next. If you keep an eye on this one day he'll have a look himself and the bomb will drop. (Most of the time)

I heartily endorse OGE's suggestions. Putting too much focus, and even pressure, on badges can take the fun out of it real fast. My impression of most kids who burn through the badges in their first three years, or less, is that they don't take the time to smell the roses along the way.

Now, I don't want to get off on a rant here....

I concur. Give him some time to enjoy what Scouting is all about. Work on the First class requirements. Too fast of a start is very likely to "burn them out" on Scouts, which is something I think we'll all agree is a bad thing.

My previous post was not very clear. While new scouts are enjoying the whole Scout experience they progress through the award scheme simply by being there and learning. I make an effort to keep their records up to date - but this may not be the case in all Troops.

Some of my parents keep an eye on what their kids have done and bring gaps to my attention so I can remain up to date. These kids pass more tests because two adults are keeping a quiet eye on things.

Inevitably, and either way, the Scout 'realises' suddenly that they have almost earned a badge / level etc. What a great surprise they get - and they dive into learning and earning. As I said that seems to take 12-18 months to come about. The Scouts have fun and WE watch their progression. I hate to see scouts miss out on progression simply because they aren't paying attention (which is fair enough) and because adults aren't watching (which is not fair).

Looking over the schedule for the next 6 months, I think we have a good balance going on for scouting. There is a weekend campout each month except the month of summer camp. My son may not go on all of these due to variuos reasons, but will attend a few over the next 6 months. He is also playing baseball this spring. The troop is very flexible about the boys having other activities such as sports. The boys will attend the local Merit Badge day soon, and hopefully work on First Aid. I'm stressing to my son and the other boys I know that they may not completely earn a merit badge that day but it's should be fun and gives them a taste of Boy Scouting badges.

For my own skills, I am signing up for a weekend program at a state park that is outdoor skills just for women. Sounds like scout camp without the kids (or men)!

When some of us attended a Webelos weekend last spring, the adults learned as much and had as much fun as the boys. I try to show my son that I am also always learning even though I'm "grown up".

Dedicated Dad, thanks for the link. I know that the declination where I live is small, but even a few degrees can make a difference when out in the "wild".

Mom, try to have him make as many campouts as he can early on. In out troop the kids who seem to lose interest and drop out are the ones who dont attend events and then get discourged when they see others shooting past them in getting requirements done.

I dont mean shun everything else, a well-balanced life was the ideal of the Greeks dignity of man concept but he is going to sunmmer camp right? I cant stress enough how much good that will do him