Eagle Scout - Canoe Rescue Wisconsin

Good story - but it leaves me wondering...

There were two Scouts in that canoe. Clearly, the Scout that was awarded the Honor Medal was the lead person, but he could not have done it without the second Scout in that canoe. Seems to me that the second Scout deserves recognition as well - at the very least, the Medal of Merit. After all, he also risked his life in this rescue.(This message has been edited by calicopenn)

Not to be a downer as I think it is well earned, but you are right Calico, there was another person helping. Also I was told that if you are a "professional" making a rescue in your field, i.e. a certified lifeguard making a water rescue, then you cannot be nominated for the award because it is expected of you to make the rescue.

Knew a scout who made a rescue, but council wouldn't put the p/w through because he was a lifeguard. The rescue was done outside of Scouting, and not at his job, but while on vacation at a beach.

E92, I certainly would not classify someone who has passed BSA or ARC lifeguard as a professional. Not that they haven't learned certain skills, but that term implies a higher level of expertise.

Along the same lines, anyone who is certified in CPR/AED would be disqualified, or WFA. That just doesn't seem to make sense that if a person takes a risk outside the scope of their job would not be eligible. Why should having beneficial training be disqualifying?

Blanc,

I'm just repeating what I was told. DE told me that since the scout was a paid lifeguard, he's not eligible as it is expected that in a water emergency he is to respond. It may be that he was paid to be a lifeguard?

I must respectfully disagree with you in that Lifeguards are considered professional rescuers in some jurisdictions, if not all. I know that if there is a death, all their training will be called into account, and their instructors can be called into court to testify. They can also be charged with negligence if they do not follow their training. Heck my old boss, who certified me as a lifeguard instructor was called to court one time to testify about a lifeguard they trained.

On another note, ARC and BSA requires CPR for the professional rescuer, or equivalent for certification and not the standard CPR with AED certification.

I think it may be semantics that we are disagreeing about. A 15 year kid old can take a 30 hour ARC lifeguard class and get a job at the municipal pool. That does not make him/her a professional.

I have no idea if what the DE said is accurate, but if it is, I disagree with the policy under most circumstances. A professional police officer or firefighter might be obligated to respond to an emergency while off duty (at least while in his/her jurisdiction). But the same cannot be said of the other types of "certifications" discussed, in particular the Scout in the original story or my hypothetical lifeguard.

The scout in the story was under no obligation to attempt a dangerous rescue. No one would have faulted him if he called for help and waited for the "professionals." But he did, and that is what the award recognizes.

Edit: I, too, don't understand why the second scout in the canoe wasn't recognized, as he was equally at risk.(This message has been edited by the blancmange)

I could see the "no award" if he was on lifeguard duty at the time, and being paid for it.. Or even if he was off duty, but on a beach he worked at..

But, this kid was not a paid rescuer for this river area they were in.. So I say.. He earned the credit, fairly.. Good for him!..

But yes the other kid should get some credit too.. Even green, to go into a risky area takes alot of courage, and to follow orders enough to help and not hinder the operation..

• 1 month later...