Looking for weekend high adventure programs - 4 hour drive from Philly

Hello,

Our troop has 68 scouts with an even mix from age 11 to 17. We are located about 10 miles east of Philadelphia. I'm an ASM and the fundraising guy.

In an effort to keep up the interest of the older scouts, I have put together a three ring binder of what I would call "Weekend High Adventure" programs. These range from the two night Appalachina Trial in N. Jersey, Multiple district COPE programs, DelMarVa's 2 and 3 day canoe trips & bike trip and a few others.

I am looking for other programs that you may consider a "high adventure weekend outing" within a four hour drive of Philadelphia. This would include a circle from Southwest Connecticut to south western NY to central PA, to Hagerstown, MD to about an hours south of Washington DC.

The boys have expressed an interests in caving, rock climbing and other, oh how shall I say it - managed risk outings.

I'm more than happy to share what I have with anyone interested.

Thanks

John

There is a white water rafting outfitter in the Poconos that offers what is supposed to be the best white-water in the East for younger scouts (11-12).

We went a few years ago in April and it was a pretty good challenge for the younger guys and was intersting enough fot the older scouts too.

I don't remeber the name of the place though.

If you talk to Eamonn, he can fill you in on what I'm told is a nice place in Western PA. The staff at this location are great instructors for rappelling and such. They offer climbing, caving, and rappelling activities as well as a few other things at their location.

If you can't get ahold of Eamonn, send me a PM. I can hook you up with the man in charge:)

I think we are a little more than 4 hours, but if you get on the PA Turnpike and get off at either Somerset or Donegal you are in my (Yes my.) Laurel Highlands.

Laurel Caverns,offers Rappelling, climbing and caving. The hiking and biking is good.

The white water rafting is really great but a little expensive. The canoeing on the Yough is good. In winter we have 7 Springs and Hidden Valley.

We have Camp Conestoga which is in Somerset and Camp Tensesherison which is about 12 miles from Ohiopyle. Greater Pitt has Heritage which has a super nice lake and camp Twin Echos. Twin Echos is great for winter they have some nice cabins and super hills, the Scouts have a great time just playing in the snow (Snow boards or just about anything that will let them slide down the hills) Last time I went with OJ's Troop they took the Scouts to the Johnstown Museum which is all about the great floods, when I looked at the scouts after the film presentation most of them were sleeping.

If you decide you want more info drop me a pm.

Eamonn.

Hops I'll be seeing Jerry this weekend. He is busy trying to help organize a Powder Horn course.

Hey, fellow Jersey scouter.

The Lehigh river is a great whitewater rafting trip, right after they release the damn April-May. As far as the AT, skip the NJ stretch and go up to Harriman/Bear mt state park. With 68 guys yu can split into smaller crews and take different treks to the same campsite, and the State park is a lot of fun.

Try a Bike hike. Our troop is doing that this weekend down in that giant state park by Atlantic City (I forgot the name)

I don't know if you've got them or not, but Chester County, PA's Horseshoe Scout Reservation has a GREAT COPE program - http://www.hsr-bsa.org/COPE.htm

Also, I recently attended a District Roundtable where we had a presentation by the Philadelphia Grotto of the National Speleological Society (Caving guys). http://www.phillygrotto.org/ They seem to support youth programs and seemed willing to assist you in caving expiditions.

JerseyJohn,

first, are you looking only for 'canned' -served on a platter activities???

Second, why are your older scouts and the PLC not doing this?

I am not busting your chops, but high adventure includes deciding upon/Selecting the trek, planning the trek and executing...not just going along for the ride...

The "I HAVE PUT TOGETHER A THREE RING BINDER" line, simply makes me hang my head...How can boys learn to lead if we do most of the work for them?... IMHO, your line should read..."I have given them a binder and I want a few ideas to start the juices flowing"...perhaps I just misread your line...(?)

May I suggest, you assign a small trek committee (15-16-17yr olds) to do this investigation...perhaps with some guidance and encouragement from you or the ASM in charge of H.A. But if you do the work; Where is boy led? And how will they ever learn to "own" the program?

Your BSA scout shop should have several High Adventure manuals and books to start them out (the field manual is also a good place to start)but it should be their start...

Yes, it is/will be more painful and will result in more work on your part "inspiring them" to keep looking; to find more; heck, even to get started! But, if you do not "let" them do it for themselves...your High Adventure program is just an extention of cub scouts...older boys having "program" handed to them on a platter...they are just along for the preprogramed ride...

working motto..."If boys can do it, Adults DON'T"...and what in planning and researching can't they do??? A scout could have even posted the same question here that you posted! (in fact, I checked your profile just in the hope that it was an older scout :>(

my two cents....

Anarchist

(This message has been edited by anarchist)

First,

Doesn't matter

Secondly,

All of your suggestions had already been completed done prior to my first post.

I would urge you to not read between the lines of short post's that condense months of activity.

YIS,

John

First,

Doesn't matter

Secondly,

All of your suggestions had already been completed done prior to my first post.

I would urge you to not read between the lines of short post's that condense months of activity.

YIS,

John