Need places to stay for trip to Boundry Waters

I'll be taking my Venture Crew to Boundry Waters this summer. Does anybody know of places to stay along the way. We'll be leaving from St Louis area and plan to stop along the way. We'll also need a place on the way back.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cary P

Advisor, Crew 805

I ran a high adventure program for six years travelling all over the country during our summer trips. For overnight lodging while on the road I made great use of military installations. I stayed at Air Bases, Naval Training Centers, Reserve and Guard Installations. I don't know if the military is still as cooperative as they were, but I would start by looking at something like that. If there is a Base, Fort, etc. near you see if they have a Scouting Liasion person and talk to them.

The floor of a Army Reserve Center sleeps just fine after 12 hours on the road and it has a/c and hot showers.

According to my calculations you'll be taking I-90/I-94 up through Wisconsin. If so, you'd probably be camping somewhere around Madison or the Dells area (Baraboo).

Look into camping at Devil's Lake State Park near Baraboo, WI. Lots of Scout groups camp there. It is a popular SCUBA diving/snorkeling lake. Here is a link: http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/devilslake/

If that is to busy (popular!) click on "Find a Park" on the same web site and you'll find other parks in the area.

There is also a Scout Camp a bit farther north near Oxford, WI that is run by the Three Fires Council. The camp is called Camp Freeland Leslie. Its not too out of the way. Here is a link http://www.threefirescouncil.org/Camping/cp_info.htm

BSA Scout Camps are not a good choice for the summer months. Most do not allow individual unit camping because they are running summer camps then.

If you can't find anything at the government installations, you should check out Youth Group Camping at state parks & forests along your route.

If you are going up thru Wisconsin, parks with group camping in the general area you would be stopping are :

Devil's Lake

Mirror Lake

Wildcat Mtn.

Buckhorn

Perrot

Merrick

Some are better than others, but if it is just a one night stop over than pretty much anything will work.

Three fires council also has camps in Rochelle, and Elgin Illinois. They have day camp at camp Big Timber in Elgin, which may interfer with your plans. The camp in Rochelle is about a 11 to 12 hour drive to Ely. It is close to I39. No summer camp at that camp.

When we go up to the BWCA as a family we stay at the Hotel 95 and campground in Hixton Wisc. I have not been there for 6 years (been doing high adventures in place of family vacations.) It is an old motel and campground but it was clean and quiet. The number is 715-963-4311 I have never seen anybody stay at the campground. The campground has a few old trailers parked there and a few slots to pull in a trailer, they may have tent sites in the back.

When I went to the BWCA with the troop we stayed in a hotel in Eau Claire, it was pretty cheap, I do not remember the name of the hotel though. It was like a Hotel 6 which there are many motels like that in Eau Claire. There is an Air force base South of Hixton just off of I90.

I would stay away from Devils Lake, it is usually packed all summer.

Any idea about where you would like to stop? may give us some more ideas.

• 2 months later...

Purcelce,

Did you ever decide on a place to stay along the way to the Boundary Waters? Looking at the map, it appears 500 miles will put you in the Eau Claire, WI area. There is a nice Boy Scout camp about an hour or so north of Eau Claire at Haugen (L.E. Phillips Scout Reservation - Chippewa Valley Council). It's a pretty big camp. They might be able to find a spot for you.

http://www.bsa-cvc.org/psr.htm

(This message has been edited by Swigs)

Update... Ok folks here is the area we plan on staying.

Trip Up.. Somewhere about 30 - 60 minutes south Duluth Mn.

Trip back.. Somewhere near 30 - 60 minutes north Normal IL.

We will not be taking tents, nor do we want to stay in hotels. So the basement of a church, floor at the National Guard Armory, etc will work for us.

Cary P

Cary,

When will you be going and what night would you need to stay 30-60 minutes south of Duluth?

I just spoke with a friend of mine in the Chippewa Valley Council who told me L.E. Phillips Scout Reservation near Haugen, WI quite often houses crews going through on their way to the Boundary Waters and other areas. Haugen is just north of Rice Lake, WI - 45 minutes to an hour south of Duluth.

If I understood him correctly, you'd be staying in one of the lodge buildings that houses their high adventure program. I haven't seen it so I'm not sure what's involved. The price is either free or very close to free.

The time of year may, repeat may, make a difference, but my friend suggested calling the Chippewa Valley Council office to ask about availability. 1-800-SCOUT-02

Good luck.