Military Type Equipment

I beleive that if the gear is appropriate for the event it should be allowed even if it is military surplus or what could be considered. I live in Illinois so I dont know who would accuse us of being militants or whatever. Last October, we had a demostration of what to take on a fall flaot. Our leader who put this stuff together recomendded to us to get a pair of jungle boots and BDU clothing because it could dry faster. I just bought a pair of camo BDU pants over the weekend, and a camo hat, and guess what, I plan to wear both on our winter campout next weekend.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Venture Crew is sponsored by the National Guard. The rule about not wearing camo uniforms is not a Boy Scout reg. but comes under the uniform code of military conduct. We are invited on militry bases and we are not to be seen in camo at any time. Yes we voted to wear BDU pants but we wear solid black pants and red shirt and jacket so we stand out in the field with soldiers. Yes we know that some youth groups do wear camo BDU's but scout units don't wear BDU's or drill with weapons fake or otherwise, but we have fired a tank!

I have no problem with scouts using military equipment appropriate for the activity. I have no problem with scouts wearing camo on an activity, its the most likely type of clothing to go on sale and is usually well made. Our scoutmaster, at a Committee meeting proposed the wearing of Camo be banned in the troop in any fashion. I told him that idea was "stupid", I then apologized for my word usage, but "stupid" was the one word I could use out of all the ones floating around in my head.

There is a caveat however, Some scouts, when wearing Camo or using military equipment, get too "into" the military look and start to behave like they think they really are military and start to act differently. They have more bravado, more daring, do things they normally wouldnt. They adopt a different attitude.

If you use the gear as gear fine, if you get a group who wants to play "dress-up" look out

As a proud owner of a pair of camo BDU's, I think they are great for the field. Mine however are for hunting. They come in a variety of colors and I think that if a scout(s) are going to invest in them, they should stick with a solid color. I liked the outfit mentioned above of the black BDU pant with a colored t-shirt. It would make a great activity uniform. BTW, they also make BDU shorts. A pair of black BDU pants for cooler weather and a pair of shorts for warmer weather with a variety of colored long/short sleeved troop t-shirts would keep the boys looking sharp in the field.

I dont think we had used any other military surplus gear on our float trip. I know that in some places it is just not appropiate such as in other countries and on military bases. Our troop prefers that we dont wear camo in public but they dont seem to care much.

The BSA has tried very hard to distance itself from both the military and hunting. There is no need for camouflage in the eyes of the BSA. Mike Walton, the "Black Eagle", and an Army officer, has a wonderful tale about a scouter who is refused admission to a camp-o-ree because he is wearing camo pants.

That said, I bought a pair of insulated boots last weekend for the express purpose of winter camping with my troop. They came in "mossy oak break-up" (a registered trademark, but "camo" to me) only. Should they be banned from scouting. I hope not and don't think so. However, scouting does not want a para-military look.(This message has been edited by acco40)

I grew up in a time and place where there were huge quantities of army surplus gear available, and often that was all that was available. We used the old fashioned pup tents and dug ditches to keep the water out too. While it is fun to reminisce, gear is more widely available and better today and we camp differently.

The specific subject of this thread is more of a uniforming question than a broader gear question. If there is a piece of military gear that does the job, go ahead and use it.

I'm active duty; some military gear is perfectly suitable for Scouting; some isn't. Over-engineered, too heavy 'cuz it's ruggedized, meant and sized for adults not boys, etc., etc. In many cases, the commercial technical gear is lighter and more suitable. Much of the military gear you can get your hands on is surplus, two or three generations behind what you can get at REI...

HopsScout; where did you get the idea that BDU pants dry quickly? They are 100% cotton, with extra panels sewn in. I can assure you from extensive, personal, miserable experience, that they do NOT dry quickly!

KS

nldsscout

Yes, it is written. Check with your Council's C.O.P.E. director, or Climbing Director for the info. Or take a Climb on Safety course for this and added information.

For safety reasons, every piece of C.O.P.E. or Climbing gear must have a written history of its use from the time that it is bought "new", for every time it is used, to when it is phased out and discarded. No C.O.P.E. director that I know of would ever consider using any piece of undocumentable, or questionable surplus gear...sorry to say this, but as a C.O.P.E./Climbing director I've had to cut up donated ropes from military surplus. But, it was useable for painters for canoes, so it didn't go to waste...

LeVoyageur

Just wondering about the origin of the painter. We always called the rope we wore on our belts a painter but i didn't know where it came from. I thought you would be the one to ask.

Doug

Sorry I'm off subject