4/5 Days & 50+ Miles of Backpacking

I'm looking to plan a 4/5-day trip in April, which will include 50+ miles of backpacking. We will have no brand new Scouts but some 12 year olds (with year exp. in Scouting). I am looking for suggested areas and trails for the following states surrounding D.C. - MD, VA, West VA, DEL, PA, and NJ. If possible, please be specific in regards to trail names, places to camp, historic sites, etc. I don't want a lot steep climbs, but a few here and there would be fine. Most importantly, we want the trail to be scenic, practical to hike for 12-year-olds, and at least 50 miles. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

• 6 years later...

Hi,

This is anni.Camping describes a range of activities. Survivalist campers set off with little more than their boots, whereas recreational vehicle travelers arrive equipped with their own electricity, heat, and patio furniture. Camping is often done in conjunction with activities, such as hiking, hill walking, climbing, canoeing,mountain biking, swimming, and fishing. It may be combined with hiking either as backpacking or as a series of day hikes from a central location.

=========================

anni

Camping

Hi,

This is anni.Camping describes a range of activities. Survivalist campers set off with little more than their boots, whereas recreational vehicle travelers arrive equipped with their own electricity, heat, and patio furniture. Camping is often done in conjunction with activities, such as hiking, hill walking, climbing, canoeing,mountain biking, swimming, and fishing. It may be combined with hiking either as backpacking or as a series of day hikes from a central location.

=========================

anni

Camping

Gotta love them spambots and trolls.

It looks like the OP is still around... so if anyone's still interested, I can attest that there's no 50-mile stretch of trail anywhere in Delaware, unless you want to do the American Discovery Trail along rural roads and across highways. It's an experience, for sure, but not one I'd recommend for young Scouts.

The Wilmington (Del.) Trail Club does a long-distance hike every spring, across the border in Pennsylvania. I don't have the details in front of me and my Internet connection is messing up, but Google "Wilmington Trail Club" and you can learn more.