For the ladies: how do you deal with ill-fitting pants?

I resisted buying the uniform pants for a long time. I wore a pair of blue dockers from JC Penney with my CS uniform and an olive-ish pair for my Commissioner's uniform. But, I bought a pair of the ladies nylon switchbacks for Woodbadge since the form said full uniform. While I don't love them-- I find they are more comfortable than I thought they would be and fit fine.I can wear them all day without complaint. The only tailoring I did was hemming. I've seen a lot of women wear both the nylon and canvas pants--different body types--and all I think of when I see them is how neat they look in the full uniform.

SP,

If you gonna do something, especially with da wife and her family, you gotta go full throttle. Sis-in-law is very much into the vintage clothing as well as costuming. She's actually done classes on costuming, specifically armour and Dr. Who, and if you google children's armour making, her's is the top website, beating our own Boy's Life.

So the wife got everything vintage, except for the repro city and state strips and 1 number.

Forgot to mention that Sis-in-law's armour looks so good, you could not tell it was foam until you touched it. Haldir from the LOTR movies was ticked off at her b/c his armour in the movie was 50+ pounds, and you could not even sit in it. Her armour was abotu 5 pounds max, and not only could she sit, she could lay down in it.

Having practically run the gamut of Scouting positions (including being a former DE), I've gone through a few pairs of pants. I bought the women's nylon switchbacks when they first came out, needless to say they fit horrendously, the zippers around the thighs were much too tight. When they reworked them, I bought the canvas switchbacks and they were MUCH more comfortable. Unfortunately, they completely wore out in the legs, right near the crotch area. The pair I currently wear is the older women's pants (twill, I think?), but am going to have to get a new pair of switchbacks, as the CD for the Wood Badge course I'm on staff for in August wants everyone to wear shorts. Blah, I'm not a shorts fan. Maybe I can talk him into capris? =)

• 1 month later...

The big problem I had was with the nylon pants. I bought two pairs thinking they would be light weight and practical and they were. However, being in the deep south, with many outdoor activities - I sweat. Yes, I know I am a lady, but I still sweat. The nylon pants change color so drastically when wet that it stuck out like a sore thumb. I couldn't walk around all day with huge, obvious sweat marks so I had to stop wearing them.

I actually like the newer canvas shorts. They are a little heavy and hot, but I figure they will hold up longer that way. I HATE the idea of a zip off pant leg, but that is irrelevent to fit. I only ever wear them as shorts. For occasions that are not short approriate(church mostly), I have a plain skirt that is not official, but in an appropriate style to work with the scout shirt.

As a female, I have to agree that the pants aren't the most flattering or comfortable (at least on me, as a plus size lady-especially the nylon ones), but I am setting the example! There are times when I would prefer to wear jeans or any other pair of pants, but once again....EXAMPLE, EXAMPLE, EXAMPLE! How can I expect scouts in my unit to wear the uniform if I am not? I have had parents complain about the cost (while I am standing there in full uniform socks and all) and I say, "tell me about it!" I wore them all summer long at scout camp last summer, I wear them to court of honors, roundtables, pack meetings, board of reviews and pretty much any and all scout meetings. As I say, "put on your big boy (or girl) pants and suck it up! ~Julie

Julia, I could 'put on my big girl pants and suck it up' but I don't think wearing ill-fitting uniform pants that keep me from participating in scouting activities is really setting the best EXAMPLE to the scouts nor showing respect to the uniform.