Just for fun: Knot for First Class Scouts?

>

Hello Clemlaw,

You have a particularly puckish sense of humore this morning!

When I find out Dads are eligible for the AOL or Eagle knots, I award them at a pack meeting. My hope is that it will encourage boys and families to complete the AOL and that it will encourage Dads to buy a uniform to put the knot on!

I will compromise on the idea. Only scouters who earned First Class prior to 1950 can wear one. That was when the earning of it was the most intensive, and when it was still considered to be the real highest rank, while the others were simply acknowledgements of more merit badges.

It was not until after WWII that National registered scouts as Star, Life, or Eagle; it was First Class with merit badges.

Not sure about your question; the Medal of Merit has no age limit. It is worn by anyone who has or had earned it, if they choose to do so. A scout would be encouraged to wear it, rather than the medal, except in formal events; just like the religious awards.

Here's what I'd like to see- less talk about the "Trail to Eagle" and treating First Class as something to be rushed through in a year. Oh, yeah, and reserve the First Class hat pin for all who have earned the rank (regardless of when) in lieu of its current use. :)