Uniforms required for travel?

We have this rule in our Troop that everyone traveling to and from our destination must wear their Field Uniforms (aka Class A). The typical reason given is so we will be covered by BSA Insurance. HmmmIve never really bought into that answer and Im assuming that Scout Leaders are being over-cautious about insurance coverage. Its hard for me to believe that the BSA would not provide insurance coverage to Registered Scouts and Scouters because we were not wearing our uniforms when an injury occurred.

I think its good to wear our uniforms when we travel to clearly identify ourselves as members of the BSA, but I think we are misguided when we assume its for insurance purposes. Right or Wrong?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO NO NO NO! Uniforms are NOT required for travel. They are a way to identify you and your scouts from others. You are still covered by insurance.

The bigger concern would be to have all appropriate paperwork in order.

Yep that is an Scouting Myth. BUT it's good practice b/c A) you sometimes get better treatment by folks B) helps with scouts' behavior and C) you are "prepared" for any unexpected fun opportunities. Going to Canada, we wore our uniforms. We got treated very well, getting a few extra packs of peanuts for the trip, drinks on the planer, etc. Also the Ultimate Warrior saw us and signed autographs and took pictures with us. VERY COOL!

We were in Dayton, Ohio returning from a Whitewater Rafting trip in WV and stopped at a national motel chain for the night. The gentleman who checked us in saw we were in uniform and gave us a ten percent discount on 5 rooms, a very nice unexpected savings.

It sometimes pays to be in uniform!

We always travel to a camping trip in the class A shirt, and in full class A uniform to summer camp.

On the way to summer camp last year we stopped at Wendy's for lunch. We were all in full Class A uniform and looking sharp. With 30 Scouts and leaders we knew we were going to take over the place, but when we walked in, there were ~25 soldiers in field uniform from a near-by base. The soldiers acknowledged, smiled at, and nodded to our Scouts as we all stood in line waiting to order. I watched the faces of our Troop as they clearly felt pride to be in uniform.

There were a few families in the restaurant, and those with young boys look at us and smiled, they knew who we were and what we represented. The few teen boys eating hamburgers looked at the Scouts with, dare I say it? Envy. Yes, it was clear that in this situation the Scouts were the cool ones, not the slackers with low pants and long t-shirts.

Yah, I reckon every time anybody anywhere says " scout insurance won't cover if..." they're talkin' through their hat ;P.

But traveling in uniform when it makes sense is a great thing to be encouraged. Other times, like when you're goin' winter camping up here in da north, it might not make sense. It's definitely a treat, though, to see how many people support scouting.

Beavah

Our Troop Always travels in complete uniform and no, not because of Insurance.

I can see how this Scouting Myth may have been started by adults. Scouts are more apt to beleive this line when an adult tells them some mysterious power requires that they wear uniforms.

I think scouts are more foucused on their behaivior when wearing a uniform. Also, the general public has a better perception of 20 scouts invading their mini-mart as opposed to 20 teenage boys accompanied by tired, scruffy bedraggled men/women who obviously need a shower.

Plus, it's just good PR when people see a large group of well behaved boys having fun and they all just happen to be wearing a BSA uniform. I have frequently been stopped and received compliments on the behaivior of my scouts.

How did thy know to tell me, well I was wearing my uniform too.

This is an aside. I wear my uniform to RTs, district committee meetings, and other scouting meetings. Soemtimes I have to do errands after these meetings, or stop and get gas. Lots of times I am stopped and asked about the program, what the scouts are doign these days, or hear stories form former scouts and scouters.

And as others have posted, I too have been the recipient of other people's generousity b/c of the uniform. I mentioned the plane trip previously. But the best case was when picking up a prescription for a Scout at summer camp from a nearby pharmacy, It was raining and I was run off the road by someone not stopping at a stop sign. i was stuck in the mud and could not get out on my own. Tried everything to get out and was making it worse. Tow truck saw me, stopped, and helped me out. We talked for abotu 5 minutes abotu what I was doing and he refused to bill me, saying he was "only doing my good turn for the day." Only asked that next time I saw someone on the side of the road, I'ld help them out. And he left.

EDITED: For got to add I was uniform because I was anticipating being back in time for dinner. That didn't happen.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

I don't need the insurance myth, I flat out tell the boys, my price for a seat in my van is a full uniform. Don't like it, get your mom to drive and I'll see you at he campout. Never forced a scout to wear the uniform, their mom's may have but not me. If enough scouts find their own way to camp, I could leave the van at home and ride the Goldwing.

I flat out tell the boys, my price for a seat in my van is a full uniform. Don't like it, get your mom to drive and I'll see you at he campout. Never forced a scout to wear the uniform, their mom's may have but not me.

Anyone else notice the contradiction in this?

My boys are uniformed for travel, meals and flag ceremonies.

At summer camp we were the only uniformed troop in camp. The rest of the troops were a mix and match of uniform parts and pajamas, blue jeans, and/or sweat pants, etc. They use the wrong salute, having justified their fuzzy logic to include any article of clothing with a BSA emblem on it qualifies for a scout salute of respect.

At flag ceremonies, all non-BSA hats, water bottles, towels, books, etc. are all tossed behind the line of scouts and the PL "inspects" the boys to make sure they are properly prepared to participate. If the scout is missing any part of the uniform, they are asked to stand behind the line and salute as a civilian.

In our troop there is no such thing as a "class b" uniform. The BSA does not provide one so it doesn't exist. There is a uniform, (aka, full-uniform, Class A uniform, Field uniform, or whatever other made up name one wishes to use).

I have had my adult leaders "dressed down" for expecting a full uniform by other adult leaders. We just quietly reiterate BSA uniform policy and that usually ends the "discussion".

The only piece of non-BSA equipment that our boys have adopted as part of their uniform is the 6' stave they carry. Like the hat and scarf, the boys felt it was an important piece of equipment to carry with them. Water bottles are required to be carried, but not during official acts such as flags, they only need to be "at-hand". These rules hold for the adult leaders as well.

Because our code of conduct only has 3 "rules", -- 1) Safety first, 2) Look and act like a Scout, and 3) Have fun, it's no big deal to remember it's importance.

Insurance? I don't know about that but when it comes to esprit-de-corp, it carries a lot of weight.

Stosh