Another Hat question

So if you are a Tiger Den Leader a Webelos Den Leader, Cubmaster or Scoutmaster, or any committee member, they make a patch for your shirt sleeve saying that you are ...whatever it is that you are.

So how about an Offical BSA Ball Cap that adult Leaders could wear with that same patch on it?

If you are a SM, CM or Dl......why not a khaki or green hat with your specific position patch on it... and be considered part of unifrom?

Or it could be blue and yellow for cubs or whatever colors venturers( red?) or sea scouts ( white?) use?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sure, unless you hold a commitee position, no necker for that.

And you have a patch on your sleeve too.

But why not a "matching" hat?

Not asking if somebody knows a specific existing reason , but more of a "Hey, why not make this?" question.

"fish

The only PORS that have specific neckers are TCDL and WDL. Everyoen else wears the generic Coub Scout lEader.

As for hats, Each DL is suppose to wear the hat that their boys are wearing, i.e. TCDL= TC hat, CSDL of Wolves wears Wolf hat, etc. etc.

CMs and committe members wear the grean hats.

And of course the smokeys bears, Expedition hats, etc. are options as well. And if you cna find one, the CS boonie hat is acceptable.

On a related question, are those the only hats that a Cub Scouter can wear (or Cub Scout for that matter)?

Do they have the option to wear a Pack hat (or other Scouting hat) should the pack choose, or does the insignia guide (or wherever) limit Cubs to those specific hats?

I generally don't wear a hat, except at camp, and I've not been involved with Cubs since I was one, so I wasn't sure.

Officially Cubs wear a CS hat, and that's it. Now I have heard of packs doing that, but it's not official.

Adults have a little more leeway when it comes to hats. the uniform hats are their options.

Speaking about boonie hats, why isn't there an "official" boonie or wide brimmed hat. I've only seen the Venture 10th anniversary and one other. I've had two friends now that had melanoma on the top of the ears where baseball style caps don't cover. I've switched to a wide brimmed cap for all my outdoor activities (from camping to helping with T-ball).

AF,

There was an official CS boonie hat. For whatever reason it looks as if national is getting rid of them. The Expedition hats, now called brimmed hats, are also an option and do prove a good bit of shade.

We live in the deserts of the southwest, and made the unofficial change to a boonie cap for my old pack. We have way too much sun year-round and lots of little tender ears that get red way too fast.

Hats with Embroidered logo ran us $12, and if the parent wanted their kids' name (including tagalongs), we could get it done for $2.

I don't, as a rule, wear hats.

Only 1 leader (out of about 16) in our Pack wears any type of hat, and that is a generic BSA ball cap.

Scouting uniforms cost enough money as it is. Can't see many folks shelling out more $$ for a new hat every year.

I wear a hat I made up myself. I got one of those military type OD ball caps, with the velcro on the from, and I took our unit number patch and added velcro to it, and put in on the front. As for the troop, I'm the old person who wears a hat anytime. I'm a hat person..

I wear the Expedition hat for sun/rain protection reasons but hated the round scouting pin that comes with it. The backs keep coming off and the exposed spikes don't feel good sticking in your forehead. I use the clasp backed scoutmaster pin from years ago and it works really nice.

I really hate baseball type hats. They are totally impractical for being out for long periods of time. If I played baseball and was going to be out for only a couple of hours, fine, but all day doesn't work. Full brimmed hats are for all day usage, this is why cowboys didn't wear baseball caps.

If one is worried about the leader patch on the hat, why not just sew a patch on yourself? It'll keep the sun off your bald spot the same way whether you sew the patch on or if national sells you a hat with it sewn on.

Stosh

Eagle,

I never thought I was a fashionist until I started to look for a hat to go with the uniform. I took a look at the brimmed hat. It look a little dated. Everytime I see it, the Indiana Jone's theme song plays in my head (does a whip come with it?). I've also seen the CS boonie hat. Better, but I'm not sure how the blue hat would go with the khaki and OD leader uniform. The only "official" hat that I sort of like is the Venturer boonie hat. It would be great if BSA came up with a modern boonie hat in khaki?

AF,

That Venturer boonie hat is no longer made, wished I had one BTW, and has been replaced by something that lookes like the old French Foreign Legion caps.

As for the CS boonie, it doesn't look too bad witht he field uniform as long as you wear the matching blue loops ;)

As for the Expedition hat, no it doesn't come with the whip, that's a YP issue, but you can hum the Indian Jones theme song in it ;) I got some crazy looks when I was doing some minor archeology work at a scout camp in the UK and I was wearing that hat and humming the theme song. :)