venturing shirt for EBOR

Our crew wears a specially-designed polo. They do not wear the bsa-issue green shirt. The Board representatives from council do not understand a polo at an EBOR so these Venturers end up digging out their old outdated ODLs for one more activity.

I'm thinking about getting a single crew green shirt with a life rank sewn on so the youth can wear that. Thoughts?

The EBOR needs to have people on the board that understand Venturing so your youth aren't put thru this nonsense. The uniform is NOT a method of Venturing.

A uniform is NOT required for EBOR. If the candidate arrived in dress shirt, tie, and slacks, that shouldn't be a problem.

And I have heard of crews who have done what you suggest, FWIW.

A few comments.

1) Agree with Emb that the EBOR needs to understand Venturing policy.

2)I would have the Venturer remind the EBOR that crews can have distictive ID uniforms of their own choosing.

3)If i wanted to be curt with the EBOR, I'd have the Venturer to please point out in the Adavcnement guidleines that any uniform is required for advancement purposes. grant you I don't like it, but if they are being a PITA, I can go with the punches. Had to at my EBOR, but that's a different story.

I understand and agree 100%, but need to carefully pick my battles up to the point where the seasoned leaders recognize and respect our fledgling venturing program. That being said, if a young man is applying for the highest rank in boy scouts, isn't he subject to the methods of boy scouts?

"That being said, if a young man is applying for the highest rank in boy scouts, isn't he subject to the methods of boy scouts?"

No.

The methods of Boy Scouting applies only to troops.

He is not a member of a troop, but of a crew.

Bacchus, you bring up an interesting interpretation for a double standard. If the award was uniquely Boy Scouts then the Boy Scout uniform would be in order for the EBOR. However, the rank can be earned while registered in Venturing, thus it is also a Venturing rank advancement. Does that mean Eagle is NOT exclusive to the Boy Scout program?

I always get a kick out of everyone that tries to do the square peg in a round hold kinda thingy. Either it is or it isn't. Trying to accommodate everyone only makes a mess out of a messy situation.

I don't care whether it can be earned in two differing programs within BSA, but at least National could do the courtesy of explaining how it all fits together and get the word out to everyone so we're all on the same page.

I'd kinda conclude that if the boy earns the rank as Boy Scout, he shows up in Boy Scout uniform, and if he earns it as Venturing, then the accepted form of dress for the crew. However, this also begs the question of whether or not, if the Venturing boy needs to accomplish all the requirements for Eagle, does he wear the TF, SC, FC, Star, Life, ranks on his Venturing uniform as he completes the requirements?

Looks like a whole can of worms here and they aren't just dealing with a uniform worn at an EBOR. :)

Stosh

is the place where I say they can't be requiring a Boy Scout Uniform to sit for an Eagle Board of Review anyway?

Oh, I just did

ALthough I agree with picking battles that will effect the youth. I wouldnt want to delay a youth getting Eagle because some (insert favorite derogatory phrase here) require(s) the uniform

I like the one uniform for everyone approach. Make it an XXX or 4 x to be sure it always fits everyone and then have the youth explain why he is wearing it. OOps, I guess that goes againsr my first comment

oh well

is the place where I say they can't be requiring a Boy Scout Uniform to sit for an Eagle Board of Review anyway?

Oh, I just did

ALthough I agree with picking battles that will effect the youth. I wouldnt want to delay a youth getting Eagle because some (insert favorite derogatory phrase here) require(s) the uniform

I like the one uniform for everyone approach. Make it an XXX or 4 x to be sure it always fits everyone and then have the youth explain why he is wearing it. OOps, I guess that goes againsr my first comment

oh well

"However, this also begs the question of whether or not, if the Venturing boy needs to accomplish all the requirements for Eagle, does he wear the TF, SC, FC, Star, Life, ranks on his Venturing uniform as he completes the requirements?"

A venturer IS allowed to wear his Boy Scout rank (and AOL patch) on his Venturer uniform. And may do so until he's 21 (as he's still a youth in Venturing).

Personally, I prefer they not, but its allowed.

And this shouldn't be surprising. This dates back to the 1930s when older scouts could be active in Boy Scouts, Sea Scouts, Explorer Scouts, and Air Scouts, earn ranks in all of these programs AND wear ALL these ranks on their uniform.

(This message has been edited by emb021)

"What the boy wears really doesn't matter, and National has said so. If a boy shows up and a suit and tie he can't be penalized for that."

No one disagrees with that, but when you have a EBOR, mostly made up of 'old guard' scout leaders, good luck trying to get them to understand/accept that.

I think having one or two shirts with Life Scout rank sewn on the pocket is a fine idea! Maybe get in cahoots with a couple other crews in your district and split the costs with them!

True enough. And I admit, i'm old school enough that I prefer, stress prefer, a completely uniformed Scout, Sea Scout, or Venturer having an EBOR. BUT you got to follow BSA policies. BSA polocies state a) crews can create their own uniforms, and B) uniform is not necessary for an EBOR. I admit, I do not like the policy as I would like to see the young man in the uniform, whether Scout, national venturing, or crew distinctive ID uni, but we must follow national's rules.